wheres the compost threads at?

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:12 am
i cant' find them.

anyways, this is why i post without searching. i end up just posting anyway.

So whats everyones advice on compost?

So far i have eggshells and coffee grounds, but i want more diversity.

i have it in a milk jug with the top cut off.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,874 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:43 am
@OGIONIK,
google has failed me miserably for the past month..

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:44 am
@OGIONIK,
i guess wikipedias article will suffice, damnit now i have to go find stuff on worms roffle.

:/ argghhh
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:47 am
@OGIONIK,
there was something i read here about a homemade compost thing with two rubbermaid bins...with red wigglers

if anyone has a link id appreciate it.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 05:06 am
@OGIONIK,
http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

i think this is it..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 06:21 am
@OGIONIK,
Rubbermaid makes some basic composting stuff. OR, (I assume you dont have ample space), you can go to a Dollar General and buy some 36 Qt platic bins. Drill holes on the sides and bottom and mix in shredded leaves and grasses with layers of stuff like veggie and food scrap garbage. This should be kept moist but not soaking wet. Let the air get in cause thats the real secret, if air is allowed to circulate , you can get really good compost in a matter of weeks. If t goes anaerobic, it can turn into a fetid pile of excrement that exudes Hydrogen Sulfide and Ammonia gases.

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 08:39 am
@farmerman,
should i use a bucket? yeah it was u i think that had the one about the paitn bucket and spinning it every few weeks...

im slowly remembering everything in the thread takes a while though..
Rockhead

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 09:38 am
@OGIONIK,
I'm prolly not a lot of help here.

I am using a wooden pallet and some lattice, but land is plentiful on the prairie...

I toss the stuff I pull out of the gardens I am making along with my food scraps.

(believe it or not, my little farm community has gone green, we recycle just like a big city)
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:33 am
@Rockhead,
Thats how I compost too, I have several groups of palletes (They act like a bigass oxygen funnel) And I scoop leaves, straw, and manures onto piles. I also use some waste drywall sheets. (I get these from Lowes or Home Depot, they are always throwing the broken ones out).
The drywall adds good tilth and renedesr the compost more gritty like a light soil. (The only problem with drywall is that if you pile huge masses of compost around, say, asparagus beds, It can go anaerobic and release H2S as the drywall is anaerobically digested.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:16 pm
@OGIONIK,
See that list of tags that have been applied to your topic? Click on the "compost" one and you'll find a list of other topics with the "compost" tag.
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:36 am
@Butrflynet,
i wont lie, i forgot how to use tags.

:/
0 Replies