My trip in Britain

J-B

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:25 am
But can I just ignore the top socket with my two-pronged plug?
http://www.punchstock.com/image/creatas/6666329/thumb72/15329-73il.jpg

Quote:
Only if you want to use your own electric utensils.

You mean I have to use an adapter to get the ground socket involved in case the appliance may leak eletricity?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:31 am
Well, as said: no time within more than 40 years I could use my two-pronged plugs in the UK without an adapter.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:58 am
JB - I'm so excited for you. I'm an American who moved to England to live last September. I'd never been here before - though it was always someplace I was passionately interested in visiting since I had majored in English literature in college - so it was a huge leap of faith to just pack up and come here to live. It's paid off incredibly richly. I'm living in Somerset - one of the more rural counties just north of Devon where you will be when you are at Clary's school. I can tell you - this whole southwestern part of England is absolutely breathtaking- there's a lot to do and see and it's very rich in history and local, regional culture. I've found the people to be absolutely lovely - have aleady made friends that I will keep for life - whether I remain living here or not. Lots of fun to be had - places to go and things to see.

Let me know if you need someone to show you around Somerset. I've gotten to know it fairly well, and I love showing it to others. It's fun to see a place you've come to love through someone else's fresh eyes.

Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your time in England - Aidan
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:07 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, as said: no time within more than 40 years I could use my two-pronged plugs in the UK without an adapter.

Thanks Hinteler, you cannot make it clearer. Smile
But how about this one?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/RobertWoo/12414.jpg

Aidan:
How does anybody refuse such kind of invitation after reading this passionate paragraph?
I am informed that every Sunday I am free if I wouldn't like to take part in some activities. That will make it possible.

JB
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:27 am
^JB^ wrote:

But how about this one?
JB

Sweet Lord - it is neck to neck; botulism or electocution!!

That cannot be safe!! JB - boil your water, eat canned goods, only drink red wine and avoid public transport. It took the might of the Roman Empire to teach the Poms to wash and rumour has it that they even let that slip since the time of Dickens......
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:28 am
JB - It wasn't meant to be passionate - it was meant to be friendly - please don't confuse the two (as I'm afraid you may have done after reading your PM). Not knowing one single thing about you - it was fully my intention that Clary - whom I have come to know over this forum - would accompany us on any outings. Now I know for sure that that would be the best idea. Anyway - hope you enjoy your time in England.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:30 am
^JB^

I'm sure, the school knows about this 'problem' as well as your guest parents.
Either they'll have adapters or will show you a shop in Totnes. Prices should be between 7 and 10 £.
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:57 am
^JB^ wrote:
[..] Squeezing into London is great. Opportunity I will have, too. I will arrive at about 5:30 p.m. and then Clary will take me to a nearby hotel. On the next day, at 16:00, a coach from Totnes will be waiting at Heathrow. So, as you see, I have a whole morning, half of an afternoon, FREE. I don't want to waste it, and I wouldn't like to miss this opportunity to see such a great city. You have some advices? [..]

JB, unlucky you are because London is an entire universe and you have so little time to see this really interesting city! One can live there for a long tome and still find there something new and impressive. I hope during your 7-week stay in the UK you are going to visit London more, or at last you will be able to find a couple of days to see the city when you return there to take a flight home. In any case let me share with you my own experience of a man who was first time in London. (Fortunately when it was my first time I did have time to enjoy the city. My most recent visit, on the contrary, gave me only lots of work.)

First I would like to say that London is very visitors friendly. If you can speak English it saves you a lot of problems (finding ways in the Tube etc.) though at first moments it appears to be somewhat difficult to understand English speech if this language is not your mother tongue. There are written signs everywhere that would never allow you to get lost and people are very helpful if you approach them and ask something. But just imagine how your language skills are going to improve when you are back home! Another unpleasant surprise may be that Britain is rather an expensive country. Exchange your money (exchange offices are everywhere, they will give you around 50 English pounds for 100 US dollars or 60 pounds for Euro100) and try to never count prices in Yuan. Find out if you are eligible for a student card, it would sometimes cut your costs by nearly one third. Yet another thing out of the ordinary is the British traffic: cars go "on the wrong side"! In the beginning it kept me frightened all the time because I was afraid to be run over.

When you only arrive to your hotel I would advise you to go to the nearest Tube station and get there an Underground map, main Bus routes and Tickets and Fares booklet. These materials are free of charge and I found them very useful for a newcomer. I think it may be convenient for you to buy a day travelcard, it would allow you to use underground (within the zones such travelcard is valid for) as well as buses throughout the day and forget about fares. It can be also useful because in the central London one must already have a ticket BEFORE boarding a bus. As for fares (if they have not changed since mid May, when I was there) a day travelcard for zones 1-2 (Central London) costs £4.70 (on weekdays if one has to travel before 9:30a.m. he or she will need to buy a travelcard valid for peak hours, such travelcard for two zones costs £6). If you prefer to buy single tickets, they will charge you £1.20 in a bus or £1.30 in the Tube (except for central London where single within Zone 1 costs £2 or £2.30 for Zones 1-2). All the above info can be found in the Tickets and Fares booklet (from where I am taking it now), but I guess it can be useful to put it into a nutshell to let you know all this beforehand.

Here are some places of interest you would wish to see with the names of the nearest Tube stations:

Piccadilly Circus: Piccadilly Circus station (Piccadilly or Bakerloo lines). This is very close to Soho.

Trafalgar Square: Charing Cross Station (Bakerloo or Northern lines). If you take the direction to the Big Ben (it is quite visible from there) you will go along Whitehall (which is itself a good place to see, I won't even enumerate what you can find there or it will be a long list) and get to Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament.

Big Ben: Westminster Station (Circle, District or Jubilee lines). The Parliament is indeed a fascinating building itself, let alone this is a historic place! If you cross the bridge you can get to the London Eye (Millennium Wheel) and view London by a bird's eye (or Waterloo station is closer to there?).

London Tower: Tower Hill Station (Circle or District lines). You can get to there directly from Westminster Station. There you may see the Tower and the Tower Bridge known to the entire world, the ancient city walls and also, if you cross the bridge, the City Hall (Mayor's office), which is a very interesting sample of modern architecture.

Canary Wharf: (Jubilee line). There are the tallest buildings in the UK there. Britain is not famous for very high constructions, and this area is another good example of the modern type of architecture. I was most impressed to see this place at night (then it was winter and it got dark early). But I was more interested to see not the skyscrapers but the Tube station itself. While old stations of the underground all look the same, Jubilee line is worth seeing.

I think it might be even too much for your short day, but you can always choose. As an alterative you can take a city tour by bus to listen to recorded guide's explanations in Chinese. To do so you may go to the western end of Oxford Street (Marble Arch station, Central line) and buy there a ticket (if I am not mistaken, it costs £16). The famous Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park is situated very near. But if I were you I would prefer to see London on myself, all city tours remind me watching TV (though, as you might guess, I tried both options).

Another "must visit" is, of course, the British Museum. But it would require from you an additional day, so you'd better plan it for the next time. To get to the museum you will need bus 7 or go from Tottenham Court Road station (Central or Northern line) - you will need to go from Oxford St. along Tottenham Court Road and make a turn to Great Russel Street.

From your post I understand that you will have to go to the airport all by yourself. You may use the Tube (Piccadilly line services to Heathrow). Please note it is Zone 6 and if you buy a travelcard for two zones it won't be valid there. Adult single to Heathrow costs £3.80 (zones 1-6), journeys from central London take about 50 minutes. If you prefer to save time use Heathrow express from Paddington station (£14), it goes often and takes you to the airport in around 15min. Of course you should not start 15 minutes before you plane takes off Smile
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:30 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
^JB^ wrote:

But how about this one?
JB

Sweet Lord - it is neck to neck; botulism or electocution!!

That cannot be safe!! JB - boil your water, eat canned goods, only drink red wine and avoid public transport. It took the might of the Roman Empire to teach the Poms to wash and rumour has it that they even let that slip since the time of Dickens......

Mr Stillwater, if you werent so hilarious, I would bally well take off my gloves and give you a damn good thrashing.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
^JB^ wrote:

I will arrive at about 5:30 p.m. and then Clary will take me to a nearby hotel.

JB....just make sure that it IS Clary that takes you to the Hotel. If someone purporting to be Clary has broad shoulders, big feet and chin stubble, whilst wearing a summer frock and high heels...... RUN LIKE HELL!
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:41 pm
^JB^ wrote:

Quote:

You mean I have to use an adapter to get the ground socket involved in case the appliance may leak eletricity?

^JB^, the British outlets are so constructed that you are unable to plug anything into the "phase" and "zero" pair of sockets if the grounded one is not employed. They are simply blocked! Sometimes in order to open them I use such objects as scissors in place of the "ground" plug. But not all electric sockets in the UK allow this kind of operation. Besides I do not know how thick the electric plugs are in China. We in Russia have two types: the old "Soviet" plug fits the British socket OK, but the new "European" one is too big. Better try to find the adaptor. Exactly this type of thing may not be easy to find in China (I know only a couple of shops in Moscow where they are sometimes available), but if you buy an adaptor in England it can appear to have been made in China!
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
^JB^

I'm sure, the school knows about this 'problem' as well as your guest parents.

Good point Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:45 pm
Serso, first strongly appreciate your effort Razz
It seems that I have to get two maps first. Both the ground and the underground. I think the best and the only rather cheap way to get into the city is to go along the Tube line (Nanjing only gained only one subway line recently).
Money is not a trouble, at least I have already exchanged some RMB into pounds. And I won't "throw it away" until I see the things that I can't miss. While the real trouble is I either come to be unable to read the signs or get lost in the Tube.
Certainly I can't to visit so many places of interest in a single day as you say. Yet my vision of touring does not depend on the quantity of such places I visit----But was how much I can feel from the local architeture, people, and culture. Then I sum up 4 ways to visit a city: Wander the streets (anyone); Cycle around; Talk with local people; And above all, casually choose a spot with trees and birds and...just sit there and do nothing except gaze at things around you. Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:47 pm
aidan wrote:
JB - It wasn't meant to be passionate - it was meant to be friendly - please don't confuse the two (as I'm afraid you may have done after reading your PM). Not knowing one single thing about you - it was fully my intention that Clary - whom I have come to know over this forum - would accompany us on any outings. Now I know for sure that that would be the best idea. Anyway - hope you enjoy your time in England.

Aidan...sorry for the clumsiness of dealing with the language Confused

Anyway, thanks for the blessing.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:51 pm
SerSo wrote:
^JB^ wrote:

Quote:

^JB^, the British outlets are so constructed that you are unable to plug anything into the "phase" and "zero" pair of sockets if the grounded one is not employed. They are simply blocked! Sometimes in order to open them I use such objects as scissors in place of the "ground" plug. But not all electric sockets in the UK allow this kind of operation. Besides I do not know how thick the electric plugs are in China. We in Russia have two types: the old "Soviet" plug fits the British socket OK, but the new "European" one is too big. Better try to find the adaptor. Exactly this type of thing may not be easy to find in China (I know only a couple of shops in Moscow where they are sometimes available), but if you buy an adaptor in England it can appear to have been made in China!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/RobertWoo/3.jpg
Can you see it clearly? That's the recharge of my radio.

Yeah "Made In China"....a new concept? :wink:
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:57 pm
I will ride a train to Shanghai in no more than 3 hours. Then, my little "odyssey" will get started.

Get ready! Very Happy
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:15 pm
How wonderful here in Britain! Completely new and fresh!

I really did visit the very center of London that day, I will soo bring you the description of that exciting day.

Today I see the sea for the FIRST time of my life in Torbay. Also went to Kent Cavern. My mates were too noisy, the guide was annoyed, though he had great passion for prehistory. And so I've got great enthusiasm. I kept asking questions. At last he led me to a dark cave, face to face, showed my how the intelligent cave dwellers made fire with shell, animal fat, grass, and flint. You can imagine that kind of atmosphere? Oh, really great!

AND, CONGRADULATIONS TO LONDON for 2012 Olympics! HOORAY! Very Happy Very Happy (Hey my British gentlemen you should thank me for bringing you the luck :wink: , just joking, not serious)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:20 pm
Terrific that you've arrived, ^JB^.

Looking forward to reading your description of your experience in England.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:25 am
Well Ladies and Gentlemen.....I am going to "experience" England once again. I'm going this time with my mom and best friend. Unfortunately my sister and brother cannot go. We already bought our tickets.....this time First Class. Very Happy
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 05:33 am
I am sorry, because of various reasons I have really procastinated a lot. Embarrassed
(It only has made me more ashamed that from now on I can join A2K as well as the whole Internet only at the weekend since I have registered as a residential student)

Never mind, I am prepared devote myself to the description and the narration of my 7 weeks in the land of William Shakespear, Winston Churchill, Horatio Nelson, as well as Prince Charles. And I believe the more rare the chance it is for me to get on the Internet, the better I will try to perform.

^JB^
0 Replies