My trip in Britain

J-B

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:52 pm
Thanks to Clary first. Very Happy 1 year ago I met her on A2K and then I chatted with her on MSN continually in a year. She made me learn about her school in Totnes.

I got the passport 3 months ago, got the British visa 1 month ago, bought the ticket one week ago, remitted the fees to Totnes 1 week ago. I have learnt a lot new things during these procedures.

I am going to arrive at London Heathrow airport on July 2nd to take a 7-week summer course in Totnes.

I realize that when I take my first step out of the chech-in, It will be the first time that I'm abroad, also the first time I'm a foreigner. Everything will be, novel.

I started this thread, because I wanted to know your advices for a "foreigner" and write down my feelings abroad and the experiences in this summer.

JB Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,342 • Replies: 102
No top replies

J-B

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:25 pm
I have a question. What is about the electrical status in Britain? Here in China 220 V, 50 Hz.
You know the batteries of some of my equipments including my radio, my camera, need to be recharged.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:43 am
Welcome to UK JB !!! I hope you find sometime to make it London and meet all of us as well.....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:27 am
Hello JB, I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Even as a native Englaner I got a real thrill going to London at the weekend, there is so much to see.
Have fun.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:02 am
I'm sure that you'll have a great time, JB. As Clary lives up that way, she will be a great source of information on where to go, what to see...etc.

The household electric supply is 240 volt, but I'm sure that your appliances will work OK. Many European Countries are 220v, and British equipment works fine over there.

Dont forget your camera, so that you can post some pictures and keep us up to date on your journey.

It will also be very interesting to hear your views and impressions of England, as living here we tend to take it all for granted, and an "outsiders" view is always refreshing. Dont be afraid to criticise certain things if necessary, as we are not easily offended, and most of us are nosey, so we love to get the FULL picture.

HAVE A GREAT TIME....and try to squeeze in London if you get the opportunity.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:55 am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39905000/jpg/_39905480_marge.jpg
'Remember, an elevator is called a lift, a mile is called a kilometer, and botulism is called steak and kidney pie.'"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:03 am
Although the voltage is the same, you'll perhaps need an adapter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/243158.jpg

(All over Europe there 230 - 250 Volts nowadays,btw.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:17 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:

'Remember, an elevator is called a lift, a mile is called a kilometer, and botulism is called steak and kidney pie.'"

"Botulism"....Naughty naughty.......Fortunately, we havent gone over to kilometres as yet.

If you tire of the fine British cuisine, you could try something completely new and exciting, just to broaden your holiday experience.

I understand that Totnes has a fine Restaurant called The Bamboo Garden.
They do a fine Peking Duck, Chop Suey that will make your mouth water, and Tiger Beer.

Walter, 230-250 eh?.....when did you lot move into the modern world then?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:21 am
Thanks for the great hospitality and the help of you all Very Happy

Prince, Material girl, Lord Ellpus: Squeezing into London is great. Opportunity I will have, too. I will arrive at about 5:30 p.m. and then Clary will take me to a nearby hotel. On the next day, at 16:00, a coach from Totnes will be waiting at Heathrow. So, as you see, I have a whole morning, half of an afternoon, FREE. I don't want to waste it, and I wouldn't like to miss this opportunity to see such a great city. You have some advices?

Mr Stillwater. Thanks for the humor Smile Water faucet is tap; Sucker is lollipop; Our lovely cookies are biscuits. Smile (btw, I have never used "mile" before)

Hinteler: I have heard the differences among plugs before (in National Geographic, with a world plugs map). But is this adapter a must-have?

Anyway, Thanks all!! Smile
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:23 am
JB - don't ask for a 'Spotted Dick'! Caused an international incident a few years ago - the Govt of the day managed to cover it up tho......
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:24 am
Quote:
"But is this adapter a must-have?"

No - you can just stick your tongue in a light socket to test for voltage first!!!
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:30 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

I understand that Totnes has a fine Restaurant called The Bamboo Garden.
They do a fine Peking Duck, Chop Suey that will make your mouth water, and Tiger Beer.

Well that's depending on price. I'm not that rich. It'd better economical...

Quote:
"Botulism"....Naughty naughty.......

I have just learnt a word and I think I can't perfectly put it here: "Rabelaisian humor"
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:38 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Quote:
"But is this adapter a must-have?"

No - you can just stick your tongue in a light socket to test for voltage first!!!

@@ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/RobertWoo/AX073092.jpg
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
BTW, what about the frequency of the household electrcity? Does it trouble?

Thanks.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:59 am
Sorry to lower the tone but 'fanny' means something completly different over here so unless you want giggles, try to avoid saying things like fannypack.
We call them bumbags but it doesnt mean bum either, its all very confusing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:10 am
^JB^ wrote:
But is this adapter a must-have?

Only if you want to use your own electric utensils.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:18 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Walter, 230-250 eh?.....when did you lot move into the modern world then?

220 Volt had been all over Germany since the mid-twenties of last century.
230 Volt since the late 80's/early 90's. (That seemed to be the same time, when other European countries changed to a higher voltage as well.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:29 am
^JB^ wrote:
BTW, what about the frequency of the household electrcity? Does it trouble?

50 Hertz like everywhere with 230 Volt (and 400 Volt) in Europe.

Well, certainly it can make trounble, when your stuff is on 60 Hertz (but that's seems to me unlikely).
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:10 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
^JB^ wrote:
But is this adapter a must-have?

Only if you want to use your own electric utensils.

JB, all electric outlets in the UK look like this:
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/9828104A61IFN123100M.JPG

So, you can hardly plug in there anything beside a standard British three pin plug. When I visit London it is always quite a task for me to charge a mobile phone, PDA or a notebook computer. One can still stick in there a Russian plug because its pins are a thinner than a "continental" type, but I always alarm my British fellows when I poke scissors into the central socket to unblock two other ones, because not all of them know that there is no current but only ground. But I would not recommend you to do the same, you can simply break down the socket.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:16 am
Well, since more than 40 years I'm using an adapter when visiting the UK - you can get those either there or buy them at home.
0 Replies