Ice cubes in alcoholic drinks

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:54 pm
That is a mere positing, positting?, posit, Drew. You must build from that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:03 am
There is some silly law enacted by some corrupt legislators having something to do with thermodynamics that says something about when any substance changes from one state of existence to another such as water to ice or ice to water or steam or most anything energy is given off in the form of btu's ergo melting ice is colder than solid ice (or something like that-I'm not a lawyer you know) Does anyone else here like Slurppies?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:43 am
Try extruded ice
Noddy24 wrote:
I have a feeling that my quest for information is not being taken seriously. Really, I want to know.

I'm amazed you are on the seventh page of this post.

Use some of that really crunchy ice that comes in little cubes that look like cylinders. That should really produce a signal. My guess is that they will become less crunchy as the surface polishes over.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:47 am
Quote:
The alchohol lowers the freezing point of the liquid. Thus the ice in an alchoholic drink is colder than the melting point of pure water ice, and the inside of the cube is still solid. Whereas ice in water will be at the freezing point of water, and the entire cube is ready to melt.

Drew Dad--

All a matter of boundaries and demarcation lines? Wonderful.

Curiosity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought her back.

Many thanks.

The rest of you may drink to that in a tipple of your own choosing, with or without ice.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:05 pm
Well, if the cat is still kicking, here's some more info for you to digest:

How ice melts
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:20 pm
Some of us are still kicking but being quiet so our play doesn't deice the cubes, re real science info.

Your link didn't work for me...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:00 pm
Link fixed.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:38 pm
DrewDad wrote:
The alchohol lowers the freezing point of the liquid. Thus the ice in an alchoholic drink is colder than the melting point of pure water ice, and the inside of the cube is still solid. Whereas ice in water will be at the freezing point of water, and the entire cube is ready to melt.

The alcohol lowers the freezing point, but not the temperature. Right? Why will the ice be colder?

Here's another interesting site:
http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/solutions/faq/why-salt-melts-ice.shtml
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:46 pm
<trying not to mention fruit juice... is alcohol the only additive that changes...>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:05 am
markr wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

The alcohol lowers the freezing point, but not the temperature. Right? Why will the ice be colder?

Here's another interesting site:
http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/solutions/faq/why-salt-melts-ice.shtml

Have you ever made home-made ice cream? When you add the salt, it lowers the freezing point of the solution. You end up with a mixture of water ice and salt water at a temperature significantly below 0°C.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
But the ice was below zero to begin with. The brine merely remains a liquid at a sub-zero temperature. The ice doesn't get colder, does it?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:53 am
If you start with ice at zero degrees and add salt, then some of the ice will melt. When it melts, it must absorb calories from the environment. The whole solution will cool, including the ice.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:36 pm
Osso--

I'm out of my depth for some parts of those very helpful websites, but I'd reckon that since the bulk of fruit juice is water that fruit juice and water melt ice cubes the same way.

The fruit pulp is just extra. Sand makes no difference in freezing and melting, why should fruit pulp?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:39 pm
Ah, but salt is an additive....

hmmm, margueritas!

(Pay no attention to my confusing musings.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:16 pm
Ossocco--

Muse away. Since night is falling the local sun must be over the local yardarm and I'm going to make some delightful choices.

Perhaps one of the scientific types will be able to contemplate Ice & Water & Alcohol & Salt and reveal The Truth of the Marguerita.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 11:35 am
It's the number of foreign molecules dissolved in the solution that affects the freezing point.

Fruit juice is mostly water and sugar; sugar is a very large molecule compared to salt. Therefore, you'd require a lot more sugar (volume-wise) to affect the same change as salt.
0 Replies