Ice cubes in alcoholic drinks

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:05 pm
heeheee..... you guys are very funny. Now, where do I sign up as a volunteer?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:07 pm
dyslexia wrote:
why?

because this is

http://img119.echo.cx/img119/1197/scienceattheedge72edited7jl.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:09 pm
Indeed they do. In fact, some people might not care to sip an alcoholic drink that was not mixed with, er, tea, or fruit juice. I realize this was not mentioned by Noddy in her thread question, but don't we want a large number of participants partaking in the experiment(s)?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:12 pm
NO, of course not, why should we spoil the creditiblity of the results by contaminating the study with people that would ruin alcohol in such a dastardly manner.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:12 pm
I'll be the control. I'll have my drinks chilled with NO ice.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:15 pm
there you have it, l'k iss willing to forgo her usual beer with ice to help the validity of the research. You go girl! Although it's hard to imagine one being able to quaff down a warm can of Grain Belt with no ice.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:17 pm
I'll have mine neat, too...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:25 pm
Noddy, for you I feel obligated to offer my services as a volunteer. I like lots of ice, so it might take a larger supply of liquor to make the test more valid.

As an aside, I remember listening to an interview with a Japanese night club owner. It was the fad at the time to use ice cubes made from icebergs as they make lots of noise when put into water. Something about iceberg ice being formed under extremely high pressure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:27 pm
Beer? Would that fall on the water or alcohol side of the testing scheme? I was thinking about gin.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:29 pm
Ok l'k, gin may be exceptable sans ice if left in the freezer for 30 mintutes prior to drinking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:32 pm
I'll have mine sans mix with ice cubes from a refrigerator ice maker. Of course, I'll have to move to do that over an extended experiment time as I presently don't have an ice maker. But, in the immediate future I can run and borrow some refrigerator-produced ice, sans the adulteration of plastic or aluminum. <Puzzled, I don't know how an icemaker forms ice into those geometric bits.>

Well, the whole thing about cold drinks is cultural as real taste is often better at room temp. Some of us Mericans like the shock and awe of the cold though.

I believe we need to wait for more posters, dys. Some may wish to participate but may personally eschew alcohol. They would make fine fruit juice controls...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:38 pm
Or we could as mentioned earlier have more than one experiment going. I suppose we will have to set up matrices for various results and dagnabbit that is not my forte. I just read those things.... as rarely as possible.
OH! Where's nimh?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 06:55 pm
Opps, osso, with my poor vision, I saw matrices as mariachis. How about some music?

Does mood play a part in this study? Does ice warm things up? Does no ice leave one feeling tepid? Ah, so much drinking to do, so little time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:02 pm
Mariachis? Is the square in Mexico df, Garibaldi Square? I have loved mariachi music and despised mariachi music, that time having to do with being at the best/worst table with about three hours of blare with a bad date, poor guy, not his fault either.

Italian bars are very abstemious with ice. You ask for ghiaccia (sp?) and get one. Ask for piu', and get one more, via tongs. They are not very enthused about icing down flavor. This has been difficult for la povera Gio'.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:29 pm
The research must have gone on all night based on the lack of scientific reports so far. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:35 pm
hay does anyone know why alka-seltzer sticks to the surface of ice cubes?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:21 pm
I have a feeling that my quest for information is not being taken seriously. Really, I want to know.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:01 pm
i'll drink anything that needs drinking. anything to support noddy's thirst for scientific discovery.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:04 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I have a feeling that my quest for information is not being taken seriously. Really, I want to know.

Oh, come on! Good science doesn't happen in a day! We're working on it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:10 pm
tried a pina colada today, but the ice was crushed. was very smooth and chewy though. does that help any?
0 Replies