Betelgeuse Betelgeuse Betelgeuse!

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 12:32 pm
Will Bright Star Betelgeuse Finally Explode? A Look at the Dimming Red Giant in Orion's Shoulder

So? Do you think we'll see this happen in our lifetime? Who has the best chance to witness this stellar event (geographically speaking and I'm not asking about the obvious International Space Station or ISS)?

I'm guessing that this will happen when the NYC sky will be all cloudy and such.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,168 • Replies: 16
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 04:35 pm
Supernovas are said to light up the sky for more than a month. If it blows everyone will get a chance to see it.

But odds are we will not be so lucky. It is unlikely that it will blow within our lifetimes.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 06:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:05 pm
More reasons to hate a2k's keyword and forum-centric search engine.
Neither recognized Betelgeuse in order to help me find this fracking thread.

The Further Adventures of Betelgeuse, the Fainting Star
Quote:
Recent high-resolution photographs of the star suggest that it is changing shape, astronomers from the European Southern Observatory said in a news release on Valentine’s Day. Instead of appearing round, the star now appears squashed into an oval.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2021 11:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2021 01:26 am
@tsarstepan,
betellgeuse could deliver a gamma burst but,Ive read that its polar jet dosnt point towards us so we wont lose our atmosphere. (They could be wrong)

Like they just found that asteroid thats going to pass us
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2021 07:17 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Will Bright Star Betelgeuse Finally Explode? A Look at the Dimming Red Giant in Orion's Shoulder

So? Do you think we'll see this happen in our lifetime? Who has the best chance to witness this stellar event (geographically speaking and I'm not asking about the obvious International Space Station or ISS)?

I'm guessing that this will happen when the NYC sky will be all cloudy and such.

If you miss it because of clouds...it will have to be cloudy for a very long time...at least a year. When it goes supernova (if it already hasn't) we will not see anything for about 700 years (it is that far away)...it will be an event that will be visible even during the day...for at least a year.

But if it went supernova 500 years ago...none of us will still be alive to see it.
coluber2001

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2021 04:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The speculation now is that it won't go supernova for another hundred thousand years, a long wait.
roger

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2021 05:16 pm
@coluber2001,
S'okay. I got nothing but time.
coluber2001

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2021 06:59 pm
@roger,
LOL
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 09:46 am
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2022 10:47 pm
@tsarstepan,

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2022 04:47 pm
@tsarstepan,

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 04:44 pm
An update.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2023 09:43 pm
If Betelgeuse were to become a supernova, it would become extremely bright and would likely be visible even during the day for a few weeks. The explosion would be visible from Earth even though Betelgeuse is about 640 light-years away from us. The supernova would outshine all the other stars in the sky and could even be visible from urban areas with a lot of light pollution.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2024 09:10 pm
0 Replies

FredBquick

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2024 03:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
For this, I say time is more real than space. Everything we ever see or perceive is a matter of time, and whatever it is in distance through space away from the earth makes that more obvious.
0 Replies