Doing anything special for Thanksgiving 2019?

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 08:30 pm
Hi. I am probably not. I tried to make myself watch the last past few Thanksgiving Day Parades and couldn't. I couldn't take it. One year they had some big gay Broadway song-and-dance number performed in the Parade. That was it for me.

Thanksgiving Day Parades and parades in general aren't the same now as they were when I was young. A lot has changed. For one thing they weren't trying to appease the LGBTQIA community. I feel sorry for the kids who have be to subject to LGBTQIA stuff. As a Christian I hate what has happened to some parades.

I have to go visit my mother in the nursing home where she is rehabilitating. I have to get my home in order, straighten up my garage some more and probably get some minor shopping done, and take care of as much business as I can.

I am not having a big fancy Thanksgiving dinner, by myself or with others. I am going to have a normal dinner.

What about you? Are you doing anything special for the holiday?

Please respond soon. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,202 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 09:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
There has always been at least one Broadway performance as part of the Thanksgiving parade.
According to Wikipedia, there will be performances from the shows Ain't Too Proud, Beetlejuice, Hadestown, and Tina. I do expect a surprise performance from the new Frozen Broadway show or from the new film Frozen II.

Not to mention that the gay community has been part of the NYC Broadway theater scene for decades. There is truth to the joke from The Simpsons: "Anyone who's ever acted in, written, or ever even seen a play is gay."

On a personal note, I am planning to go to a Thanksgiving dinner with my family. Should be fun for me.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 12:13 am
I'll take some time to remember the indigenous peoples who were part of the eventual mass disbursement and slaughtering perpetrated by the invading Europeans.

Other than that, I don't figure too much is going to happen. A friend of mine is scheduled to drop by for dinner.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 12:40 am
@Sturgis,
Right. I forgot Native Americans don't like Thanksgiving. They know the truth of what really happened during Thanksgiving, i.e., what they DON'T teach students in schools, especially grade school students.

I guess the American school systems don't want to teach students the truth of what really happened during Thanksgiving. I am guessing they want youngsters to enjoy the holiday and not upset them.

Just like with Columbus Day. They don't teach public school students that Columbus advocated slavery and genocide of Native Americans. They just teach youngsters that he allegedly discovered America, which of course is debatable, because Americo Vespucci, Lief Ericson and John Cabot supposedly discovered America too.

Regardless of what Thanksgiving is really about, we Christians treat it like a Christian holiday. There is a lot we Christians have to be thankful about and a lot to thank the Lord about.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 12:53 am
@JGoldman10,
The good news is that more and more schools are starting to finally give the entire story about everything which happened, both the good and the bad.

It's similar to the way movies and tv shows once were. The white guy was constantly shown as the hero,.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 12:56 am
@Rebelofnj,
Did you know there's a Broadway show called Wicked, which is based on the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 01:00 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
The white guy was constantly shown as the hero.

Which is racist and wrong. Glad they are finally correcting what is being taught in schools.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 03:59 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes. It is one of the more popular Broadway shows. The original soundtrack got a minor resurgence in recent years because people were comparing Wicked's "Defying Gravity" with Frozen's "Let It Go", both songs sung by Idina Menzel. Both songs were about the characters leaving for a new life where they can be who they really are.

I've listened to the soundtrack, but I have yet to see the show. I did read the original novel, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 06:26 am
@Sturgis,
Public school students need to be taught the true origins, histories and meanings of many American holidays, festivals and observances, no matter how ugly they may be.

For example, students should know that Memorial Day originated with African American slaves.

There are a lot of accomplishments of and contributions to American culture and society by African Americans and other Americans of color that are/were omitted from school textbooks and ciriculums. Students should be taught about this stuff also.

For example, public schools don't teach students about the contributions of the Tuskegee Airmen during WWII.

A lot of students don't know about Bessie Coleman, the first female African American airplane pilot, and her contributions to aviation.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 08:11 am
@JGoldman10,
If I recall correctly, some American schools are currently teaching the darker aspects of the past as well as the forgotten history, though it depends on the school district in each state and the grade level.

For example, I learned of the Allied bombing of Dresden when my English class was reading Slaughterhouse Five, my history class talked about Tuskegee experiments of African Americans, my biology class learned about Rosalind Franklin whose research led to the discovery of the DNA structure, though she wasn't given proper credit until after she died.

Oddly enough, pop culture media does showcase some of the more obscure and forgotten facts. That is how I learned of the pagan origins. A more recent example: the HBO show Watchmen featured the 1921 Tulsa race massacre (where an estimated 300 black people were killed), which is largely forgotten about.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/10/21/hbos-watchmen-depicts-tulsa-race-massacre-that-was-all-too-real-hundreds-died/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 08:28 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

A lot of students don't know about Bessie Coleman, the first female African American airplane pilot, and her contributions to aviation.

Even more don't know about Alan Turing whose code breaking genius cracked the enigma code and shortened the war by at least two years.

He was persecuted for his homosexuality chemically castrated and eventually took his own life.

Calling equality appeasement is mendacious to the extreme. The reality of LGBT life was one of persecution, and it's only now that things are becoming more equal but there's still a long way to go.

How would you feel if the abolition of slavery and the civil rights movement were dismissed as politicians appeasing African Americans?

It's not appeasement, it's correcting injustices.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 08:51 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
He was persecuted for his homosexuality

I was very surprised to learn that homosexuality was basically outlawed in the UK until the 1960s and that people actually went to jail for having gay sex.

I only became aware of that after reading The Fifth Beatle, which was about the life of Beatles manager Brian Epstein. He had to keep his private life a secret and he was terrified when his American boyfriend almost outed him.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 09:42 am
@Rebelofnj,
Even after it stopped being criminal there was still legalised discrimination. The age of consent for heterosexual couples and lesbians was 16 but for gay men it was 21. That didn't change until Tony Blair became PM.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2019 09:33 am
@izzythepush,
we went away to visit this yqr. We had a mahvelous dinner on Thanksgiving, and lotsa left overs.The fst was mae of 3 20 lb turkeys that all turned out spectacularly. The guy rented a hog smoking oven and did em up and we had a nifty "Care Package" of bird, stuffing, gravy and berry relish.

I think we are entering "patriarch" years.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2019 10:08 am
@farmerman,
We've not had turkey for Christmas for a long time now. It's too dry and too big.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2019 10:10 am
We went to my eldest daughter's house, burglarized their dinner and Christmas and left before they came home. All in all, we had a nice time of it. I ate like a young man and suffered the demons of remorse and bulging belly. My son in law has always worked in the oil industry. It pays great until he gets laid off. This time he has a short gig with solar in Reno. The pay was too good to refuse. Hopefully, he will keep away from oil now. I think he sees the writing on the wall.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2019 10:12 am
We moved to scallops and shrimp several years ago.
We still do the sweet potato soufflé.
Might do grits for some inexplicable regional homage-y reason.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2019 10:22 am
I worked in the bit about my son in law because he left for Reno on Friday.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2019 11:58 am
@izzythepush,
cooking turkey at a blazing 5 or 600 (F), for about 10 min/lb at 500 and 6 min/lb at 600 yields a crispy skinned really juicy bird. Turkeys are raised with taste in mind the last 20 yers or so. (Now if we could only work on fruit growers and berry producers to sell for flavor and not shipping weight, we would have delicious fruit again.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2019 12:34 pm
I made dinner for 13 people. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green beans, squash and to drink we bought coffee, cider, soda and wine. With a veggie tray, various cheeses, and crackers, etc. I used a vacation day, the day prior to make sure I would have everything clean in the house and the food prepared.

Of those 13 people - 9 showed up late over an hour. Those that were on time lived in my house. So the turkey was maybe a tad overdone. To top that off, more than half came empty handed and did not thank me for the dinner. My mom, aunt and one brother brought dessert and thanked me profusely. The one non-family member also thanked me - he was my oldest niece's boyfriend - she thanked me as well.

During this celebration and feast we celebrated some birthdays that occur during the month for the littler ones - teens and a tween. They got a cake and gifts, but alas my brother (one of the thankless ones that also probably eats more than anyone else and freeloads at my mom's house meaning he is currently living there free of charge while he is gainfully employed) - has two of the kids who enjoyed the gifts given from family members. Well he failed to remember my children with any sort of gift or card or recognition they even had a birthday.

Now I honestly do not care about the monetary value of the gift - it is that he forgot them completely - while his children were fully remembered. No apology - sorry I completely forgot we were celebrating - nothing.

Well besides that I had a good time with my mom, aunt other brothers and nieces. (of course my husband and kids).

0 Replies