Lions Guard Beaten 12 Year Old Girl

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:44 am
Quote:
A 12-year-old girl who was abducted and beaten by men trying to force her into a marriage was found being guarded by three lions who apparently had chased off her captors, a policeman said Tuesday.

Apparently it is a custom in Ethopia to kidnap young girls, and force them into marriage. Anyhow, a 12 year old was taken captive by seven men, and beaten. Three lions chased off the men, and stood guard by her for a half a day. When the rescuers came, the lions went back into the woods.

It is thought that the lions responded to the girls whimpering, as they would have to a lion cub.

Link to Lions Guard Girl
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:57 am
I read this yesterday and thought - how cool! Seeing how these lions are looked at with such respect, maybe it will help these girls indirectly. Or at the very least it puts this issue of kidnapping young girls in the international news - hopefully in some sort of way, this story will help these girls.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:02 am
Too bad they didn't follow those men, and rip the scumbags limb from limb.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:06 am
70% of the marriages in Ethiopia are "by abduction"?!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:22 am
sozobe wrote:
70% of the marriages in Ethiopia are "by abduction"?!

http://www.feminist.com/violence/spot/ethiop.html

Spotlight on: Violence Against Girls in Ethiopia
Marriage by Abduction and Rape

In some regions of Ethiopia, abduction and rape is a cultural practice used to take a girl as wife by force. Typically, the girl is abducted by a group of young men, and then raped by the man who wants to marry her-either someone she knows, or a total stranger. Elders from the man's village then ask the family of the girl to agree to the marriage; the family often consents because a girl who has lost her virginity would be socially unacceptable for marriage to another man. Sometimes the abductor keeps the girl in a hiding place until she is pregnant, at which time the family again feels it has no option but to agree to the marriage.

It may seem unlikely a victim would willingly marry the perpetrator of her abduction and rape. However, with social and cultural pressure from families and the community, as well as threats from the offender, the girl will often "consent" to marry her perpetrator.

Both abduction and rape are criminal offences under Ethiopian law, but if marriage is subsequently agreed, the husband is exempt from criminal responsibility for his crimes.

Changing the law to adequately address the injustice that abducted and raped girls face is essential to the realization of the fundamental right to equality in Ethiopia. To find out more about what Equality Now is doing to campaign for changes in the law to protect the rights of women and bring perpetrators of abduction, rape and forced marriage to justice, and to find out what you can do, click here
For more information on our campaigns to end violence against women around the world, go to www.equalitynow.org, or email us at [email protected]

Different view

http://www.phishare.org/documents/PopCouncil/2474/

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/ethiopia_early_marriage.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:41 am
In a strange way these lions did more than just save this one girl. By this news report, it could potentially cause more pressure to the Ethiopian government to change it's laws.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:45 am
This is such an amazing story and I love Linkat's take on it - perhaps superstition that the lions don't want this to happen will make kidnappers think twice.

What an absolutely brutal custom. An interesting argument to use for those who suggest that marriage as existed as some holy thing for thousands of years blah blah blah.

Don't you suppose when the kidnappers ran off leaving the girl behind that they probably expected her to be eaten by the lions? Brutes.

Animals are so magnificent. I'm reminded of Will Roger's saying "The more I see of man, the more I like dogs."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:04 am
boomerang wrote:
... perhaps superstition that the lions don't want this to happen will make kidnappers think twice.

Very Happy I like this idea!
0 Replies