Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,755 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:22 am
Aw...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:22 am
Ever notice what kind of repsonse good news threads gets? Now if the kid had been found with a dildo up his ass I'd have awakened to find 300 posts to my little thread already.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:24 am
Ha!

I'll stir it up for you -- the thing about how he hid from the searchers 'cause they might be "scary people" bothered me. Shows how the "stranger danger" hysteria can backfire.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 10:32 am
I liked the guy who found him. He kept his helmet on the whole time to try to stay anonymous. I saw him on the Today show today... he said his plan obviously didn't work to well. Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
An outstanding outcome for what could have been a disaster. I have not seen anything on how and why the lad became lost in the first place. I would be concerned with the supervision aspect. But, only to help prevent future episodes. Good on every one of the searchers for a job well done.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:31 am
My son is the same age and just returned from a week at his very first Scout Camp this weekend. We've been following the story together, and he was VERY happy to hear the boy had been found.

One of the basic rules of Scouting is that you're supposed to have a "buddy" with you at all times. My son keeps wondering where his buddy was when he wandered off.

Staying tuned for the rest of the story...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:42 am
Eva wrote:

One of the basic rules of Scouting is that you're supposed to have a "buddy" with you at all times. My son keeps wondering where his buddy was when he wandered off.

according to the original news story they were almost back to camp and the buddy went on ahead. Looks like a time for a review of basics.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:42 am
I'd be interested to hear why he climbed during the time he was wandering around - maybe he wanted to get up high so he could see where he was? He seemed very calm as they were taking him from the ambulance and apparently didn't say much about how he spent the four days.

Nice to see good news especially since it's tiring hearing all the bad stuff.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:46 am
I've been wondering about the incident. Leaving the trail between the climbing wall and the camp seems to be a deliberate act rather than purposeless childish wandering.

"Hey, Mister, can I play a video game," seems to be an off-key response for a kid who has been lost and lonely for all that time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:58 am
I heard that in order to survive, he ate a girl scout, and a couple of brownies.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 12:08 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I heard that in order to survive, he ate a girl scout, and a couple of brownies.

oof!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 12:26 pm
An example of when you do everything right, and its wrong.

"The boy had seen some searchers on horseback but avoided them because he was scared, Nunley said. ``He was a little delirious. I sat him down and gave him a little food.''
His mother said Wednesday he told his parents he was afraid of the strangers, because ``I didn't want someone to steal me.''

CNN Link
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 02:45 pm
Acquiunk--

I'm glad to have that bit of information--although I'd dearly love to know just how he thought he was going to get back to civilization.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
Heeven wrote:
I'd be interested to hear why he climbed during the time he was wandering around - maybe he wanted to get up high so he could see where he was?

Maybe he was just lucky, or maybe he was smart. When the sun goes down in a mountainous region, cold air quickly pools in valleys. Climbing would have both kept him in the warmth of direct sunlight for as long as possible, and it would have kept him above the coldest air at night. Maybe he knew that, his parents say he's been camping with them since he was three years of age.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 03:15 pm
It seems he does not remember much while he was missing. The report I read also stated that his parents said their son was born prematurely, and they described him as immature and a little slow, but not mentally disabled.

So maybe that is why he reacted to some of things that seem a bit questionable.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:55 pm
Lash--

Glad to know about his mental condition. I'm not happy when there are bits of stories that don't make sense and there are no footnotes.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:00 pm
"A little slow"....? Hmm.

I told my son about how the boy (his same age) had seen search personnel and hid from them because he was afraid. Son said that if he'd been lost out there for more than a couple of hours, he wouldn't care WHO it might be...he'd be desperate enough to yell out to anyone he saw! Especially after spending even one night alone out there!

Something about this still doesn't sound right. Sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:28 am
Quote:
On Monday, rescuers found three socks and a sandal in the river, but none belonged to Brennan. The boys' parents also sifted fruitlessly through enough clothing collected from the mountains to fill the bed of a pickup.

Shocked Makes ya wonder ... what are people thinking?

So not just did they find the boy, they did a bit of environmental cleaning as well ...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:38 pm
Nihm--

I've been wondering about that pick up truck bed "filled with clothing". Perhaps many, many Morman rebels spend the summers skyclad and then can't find their skivies?

Eva--

I'm diagnosing some degree of autism, some form of Asperger's Syndrome. The kid cottons more to video games than to people. Most eleven-year-olds realize when they need help--and would assume that if they were lost "safe" people would be out looking for them.

I hope his parents had a wonderful rest until he disappeared. I have a hunch that boy is a handful.
0 Replies