Cali Quakes...is this business as usual?

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:59 pm
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/117-34.gif
The number, severity and location... I know California has these things a lot...but these seem focused on a fault line..and they seem to be coming more often than I've heard recently.

Concern, or same ole same ole?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,678 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:09 pm
An article about recent quake.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:19 pm
If a lot of stress has built up on those areas where the fult lines seem to bend then theyve gotta release. Its better that they realease in a lot of little jolts. It means that the plates are sort of readjusting with minimal strain. So, Id be happy for a whole lot of 4s and even a 5 .
That doesnt preclude the outside possibility that Im full of ****. I hate earthquake prediction, its so damn iffy. USGS is working on some nifty predictive techniques that involve dissolved minerals and gases in ground water observation wells , and other things like changes in P wave/L wave velocity ratios. The idea was that as sediments get ready to liquify, the velocity ratios change in favor of the L waves. So if somebody starts talking about wave speeds and velocity changes, head for Bakersfield.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:37 pm
Heh. I had to research Saudi Arabia a while back and it included a tad about the location. I hadn't known that the whole peninsula was a massif--and it's still tilted due to how it broke away from North Africa....

There's an undersea map in one of my classes--and when the Indonesian quake/tsunami was in the news, I noticed how deep the crevasses aredown the Western side of the islands. Some super deep ones in the Sea of Japan.

Makes you ponder... Things is a movin' all the time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:51 pm
The magnetic North pole has, in recent months, left Canadian territory and is gonna be in Russia in another 20 years.
the poles are gonna flip so youre gopnna need a bit more sunscreen for a few thousand years
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:08 pm
The New Madrid fault is way overdue for a big jitterbug . . . and i can tall ya, the folks in St. Louis, East St. Louis, Belleville, Granite City, etc. ain't ready for this at all.

So far, nature has disappointed me. I have long looked forward to East St. Louis floating down the Mississippi. That entire city is built upon river silt which back-filled to huge wooden wing coffer dams which Lee built there in the early 1840's. I know its really deplorable of me, given the scale of the inevitable human tragedy, but i've always wanted that one to pop in my lifetime. We had a 3.8 while is was livin' in Southern Illinois, and that was enough to throw me out of bed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:38 pm
(I still don't understand the word Cali. Does everybody call California this? News to many Californians...)

Signed,
she who kept typing during a recent 7.0, though it wasn't all that close.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:32 pm
That Cali nonsense throws me, too, Osso. Whenever i see it, i think of the city in Columbia.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:38 pm
farmerman wrote:
The magnetic North pole has, in recent months, left Canadian territory and is gonna be in Russia in another 20 years.
the poles are gonna flip so youre gopnna need a bit more sunscreen for a few thousand years

So - what is it like when they do?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:39 pm
You folks will be right-side up, and we will be up-side down. Otherwise, not much of a change.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
You folks will be right-side up, and we will be up-side down. Otherwise, not much of a change.

Some might get headaches by that, others - like me - a better weather.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:36 am
We'll have to wait and see Walter. We don't want to get Miss Wabbit too excited too soon.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:20 am
I personally don't feel the seismic activity in California is unusual at all considering it usually has well over 100 quakes a day, most of which cannot even be felt. The news doesn't even bother reporting them unless they are about a 4 to 5 magnitude minimum and then it is often just the local news that broadcasts the event and with no great fanfare at that.

I'm not sure where Cali came from either, but I doubt it arose in California itself. I don't mind SoCal or NorCal. In fact I am wearing a NorCal sweatshirt right now. To me, calling California Cali is like calling San Francisco Frisco. It evokes that same feeling of fingernails being scraped down a chalkboard.....::shudder::
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 09:10 am
Me too, Lady J. And I always think of the Colombian city first, Set. Then I remember, oh, they must be talking about California in newspeak.

'nother small rumble last night. Not a bed shaker, though. Yawn.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 09:15 am
I'm going back to Cali
to Cali
to Cali
I'm going back to Cali
I don't think so...

Big quake's gonna pop New York one of these decades, too -- and I've heard that all of the major hospitals there are built on landfill. That'll be a doozy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:09 pm
So contrite for upsetting so many obvious delicate sensibilities by shortening a word.

I guess we'll have to divide up in the Abbreviators and the Non Abbreviators camps.

My reckless abbreviating shouldn't be taken for a demand that others do the same.

<shakes head>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:25 pm
I dont wanna be carrying tales of terror so I wont be a troublin you no more. Dont bother about my ramblings of the pole flippin , Im jes an old fool who oughta keep is mouth shet.

mwaahhaahaahaaahaaa
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:27 pm
I don't mind the Pole flippin', it's those flippin' anti-abbreviators ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:37 pm
Lash wrote:
So contrite for upsetting so many obvious delicate sensibilities by shortening a word.

I guess we'll have to divide up in the Abbreviators and the Non Abbreviators camps.

My reckless abbreviating shouldn't be taken for a demand that others do the same.

<shakes head>

You wear your thin skin like badge . . . as though it conferred honor on you . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:51 pm
Oh, I was thinking of apologizing to Lash. It is the use of the term in general here at a2k that bugs me, not her using it. I have been noticing it from people who seem far away from California, and usually younger people, but then everybody is younger than me. I suspect 'Cali' is generated from a tv show or source other bit of popular word growth. Most people who learn it that way won't have a clue re the San Francisco - Frisco business.
0 Replies