6

All Things Lord of the Rings!

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:13 am
What's your favorite slice of J.R.R. Tolkien? The three Peter Jackson movies? The books? The animated feature from 1978?

Do you have the patience to watch the director's extended cut trilogy (since the trilogy of films are already long movies by themselves)?

Are you holding your breath for the $250M Amazon series that may or may not be coming out in 2021?

1  
Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:00 am
Farmer Giles of Ham.

TheSubliminalKid

3  
Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 12:34 pm
The only interpretation that truly encapsulates Tolkien's vision of Arda:

https://images.g2a.com/newlayout/323x433/1x1x0/78e00c080564/5912293fae653a358e08902a

Sturgis

1  
Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 01:22 pm
My favorite LOTR moment would have to be when I went to the library and found the books had been released in paperback! Instead of lugging home a bunch of hardcover books, these beauties were smaller and lighter. I didn't read them, Mother only insisted that I get 6 books every month, never asked how they were or what they were about or anything.

SO, nothing more. Perhaps a few minutes here or there of viewing movies, that'd be it. Maybe if Lego had sold a set back in the 60s, it would have helped me get interested in them...

...yeah, probably not.

1  
Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 01:27 pm
@Sturgis,
A good LOTR moment would be to find a paperback edition published by Ace.

It was illegal and they were recalled and pulped, but not all of them.

They're apparently worth quite a bit.

1  
Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 05:13 pm
tsarstepan wrote:

I prefer the extended cuts. Theatrical seems "rushed" a bit. The extended cuts seem better paced.

I also like the extended cuts of The Hobbit 3D.

I did once read on a website a criticism of the extended cuts, saying that the Battle of Helm's Deep was less climatic when angry trees finished off the bad guys (even though that is true to the book). It was more dramatic in the theatrical version when the humans and elves fended off the bad guys without any help from trees.

Also, the Battle of the Pelennor Fields is more dramatic in the theatrical version because the movie doesn't have a scene that reveals that Aragorn will be showing up with the Dead Men of Dunharrow.

The website recommended going extended for the first movie, and theatrical for the last two movies.

I've considered trying to make my own private fanedits to cut out the two offending scenes, but haven't gotten around to attempting it yet.

tsarstepan wrote:

I wouldn't say holding my breath exactly, but I do plan to see it at some point. I'll have to wait until I can rent the Blu-rays though. I'm not an Amazon Prime subscriber.

2  
Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2019 11:17 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

He doesn't, it's non canonical. If you read the book you find that the Dead Men of Dunharrow were used to attack the corsairs down river. Aragorn takes their ships and prisoners and they're the ones who enter the battle later on. By that time the dead men have gone back to Dunharrow.

3  
Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2019 12:04 pm
We have Prime and I haven't used it to watch stuff, but probably would if there was an LOTR series on tap. No question the films did a lot to enhance the narrative. Tolkien never met an exciting or romantic scene that he couldn't grind to a screeching halt with page-long footnotes, meaningless side characters, or a bunch of songs with no tune

1  
Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2019 12:09 pm
@jespah,
I watch stuff on Prime like the Marvelous Ms. Maisel (though I'm really behind season wise) but far far less frequent than watching stuff on Hulu or Netflix.

The format isn't as user friendly as the other streaming services. Everything is separated by seasons - webpage wise - not show wise. You have to actively look for next season as opposed to just clicking on a drop down menu or being recommended it after you finish an earlier season.

1  
Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2019 12:39 pm
@jespah,
I think you're being unfair on Tolkein. So much SF fantasy is really dire, Tolkein spins a good yarn at least.

This book sticks out as being particularly bad. At one point the main characters are sparring to some godawful poetry with the repeated line "Swiftly goes the swordplay."

None of which would have bothered me were it not for the other characters constantly praising this shitawful doggerel.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ATcAAOSwLDdct2na/s-l640.jpg

1  
Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2019 03:47 am
izzythepush wrote:

Interesting. It's been awhile since I've read the book. I should try to set aside some time to reread it.

1  
Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2019 05:30 am
@oralloy,
I thought you hadn't read the book. I last read it to the Kid as a bedtime story, (what a long ******* night that was,) but I still remembered it. It's one of the things I complained about after seeing the film.