Who doesn't love Ellen?

Sturgis

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 02:09 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I wonder how many Democrats actually "love" G.W. Bush.

I'd be more inclined to wondering how many weirdos "love" any politician. Until the insane asylum antics of Bernie Lovers and Trump Lovers (2 different groups), it hadn't even occurred to me that this sort of nonsense went on to this degree.

I like or dislike various politicians. Many I have little feeling about. Never loved or hated any. I detest many of the things some do and really like certain other things. This stretches to both sides of the aisle on both the pro and con.
blatham

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 02:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
A2K is not a Social Club, a Community, or a gathering of friendly, open-minded individuals.
I'm so expansively open-minded that I like you, often.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 04:52 pm
@Sturgis,
At first I thought: "I agree!" but then I realized that in terms of politicians, entertainers, and professional athletes, "love" means something much less than the love I have for my family and dearest friends.

It's, unfortunately, a fairly common occurrence with popular culture: the corruption of perfectly good language.

In terms of Bush, Obama, and Ellen, "love" actually means "strong fondness"

People who actually love (or hate) celebrities are "weird" and probably mentally ill. People who "love" them are pretty regular.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:01 pm
@blatham,
And I have no doubt whatsoever that if I met you in "real life," I would like you (at least until I got to really know you).

The ease with which we are able to discard any recognition of others as fellow humans is frightening.

Containing that dire tendency to a forum like this is a good thing. I'm not sure though that everyone here does.

Remember Cyclopticon (or whatever his name was)?

Towards the end of his involvement here he was threatening to dox members and supporting Antifa type responses.

I don't think that I would like him in "real life" at all.

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Precisely. I was thinking of getting all detailed about the many ambiguities of that word/concept but decided I was just too lazy.

Some years ago, a girlfriend said "I love you". She'd steadfastly refused such a statement previously. When I mentioned this later, she responded, "We were *******".

Imperfect love, perhaps, but what the heck.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And I have no doubt whatsoever that if I met you in "real life," I would like you (at least until I got to really know you).
I've often surmised that I'm rather like a pointillist painting - much better when experienced from a distance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:11 pm
The fact remains that we see Bush hobnobbing in a very friendly way with prominent Democrats and people here are defending him. Call it love or whatever you like, it's disgusting.
blatham

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I sometimes get the idea that if you were in a faith group, you'd be big on the shunning thing, edgar.
Lash

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:18 pm
@Linkat,
Your kindness will likely extend your life and your happiness. May it be so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 06:38 pm
@blatham,
We will never know.

I recall years ago a Texas congressman who had his nose up Goldwater's butt. His name eludes me at the moment. I chanced to be alone in a room at a VFW hall, when said congressman walked in. His face lit up and he started my way. I turned my back to him and walked away.
blatham

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Understood. There are a lot of people I'd walk away from too such as Rove or Cheney or John Yoo. I don't put Bush in that same category. If Ellen had been hanging out with Cheney, I'd be on your side in this.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 07:47 pm
@blatham,
Bush is Cheney, re his presidency.
blatham

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Let's just agree to disagree. And then, up the road, when you're attention is elsewhere, I'll hit you with a brick.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 08:24 pm
@blatham,
People who play on PVP servers never drop below condition yellow.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 08:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Bush is Cheney, re his presidency.

Not at all. Cheney is a great guy who had nothing to do with W's shameful betrayal of Scooter Libby.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 08:35 pm
@blatham,
We don't agree on lots of stuff. Why should we start now? Razz
blatham

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 08:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Indeed.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:49:59