THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
Blue skies now yielding to strato coming over the ridge. We do need rain.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 04:17 pm
@farmerman,

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7739/boomerz.png

cool, dry air to follow...
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 10:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
We got nothing on 6/9 (it was all just a distant light show). TONITE HOWEVER, it was another story. Its been a series of lightning and thunderstorms . SInce 9 PM its been raining steadily, sometimes heavy and then moderate. Its a good rain. I just planted a late season corn crop this AM. 20 acres of late corn always does well when hit with a planting day rain. Our neighbor had a "Belmont Cook OUT" and the rain held off till everybody walked home (It was over a mile hike for us and the wind was just picking up and the sky was going dark with nimbulous calosities. Its 12:20 and its still raining . We got about 1 inch or more . (I think I can let it stop now
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 10:27 pm
@farmerman,
The one thing I truly miss about living in Fort Hood, TX was the incredibly impressive thunderstorms.

I would sit in my room with the lights turned off and I listened to a cassette tape of Native American music (authentic instruments et al... though not sure of the compositions now).

The storms here in NYC are too short and far from impressive. I think the thunder echoed between the dormitory buildings that helped the impressive nature of the storms back then.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 03:23 am
For the last three evenings, we've gotten every sign of an incipient storm--sudden drop in temperature, roiling gray clouds, sudden significant increase of wind--and then nothing happens. I feel cheated.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 06:53 am
@Setanta,
We got over 1.75 inches of rain and it all fell from 9PM till about 2:30 AM. When the fireworks ended, the rain was gentle, steady and quite usefulas it was beginning to ge a bit dry at an important stage in plant development.

Cmon cornfield!!
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 03:15 am
@farmerman,
All the best with your crops.

Yesterday was the fourth evening in a row when the sky clouded up, the temperature dropped and the winds picked up--but no storms. I suspect we're on the northern edge of the weather systems in the upper States.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:40 pm
@Setanta,
I love them! Never really had then when I lived in CA but here in St. Pete? Oh yeah, in fact we are coming into our rainy season where its in the 90’s then the afternoon thunder showers come in!
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:11 pm
@jcboy,
When I worked around Imokalee and Daytona we used to get afternoon T storms in the orange groves of like 5 to 7 inches in less than an hour. You could not see our your windshield.

I was stuck in an organge grove once and a big storm hit we just sat there in the car , I thought it would flood us out but it seeped into the sand so quickly that we were back drilling in an hour after it rained.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:23 pm
@jcboy,
I believe Florida is one of the most lightening prone places on earth.
patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 06:19 am
@Setanta,
I can believe that. I've gotten pretty used to the rumblers in the upper midwest, but a couple of years ago I got caught out in a thunderstorm in Baton Rouge, LA -- holy crap, it was like a huge aquarium broke overhead and shorted out the lighting and filter wiring in the process. Was soaked to the skin immediately, and the lightning and thunder were constant. Five minutes later, clear blue sky.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 06:25 am
I love 'em, PD . . . but i've got this little dog girl who gets scared, so i can't follow my inclination to run outside to dance and hoot in a pagan manner . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 07:08 am
It has been so dry over the last few months, that literally, the grass "crunches". Yesterday, I was in a neighboring town, when a storm hit, late in the afternoon. The lightning was quite impressive. When I returned home, the sun was shining.

I usually put my computer to "sleep", after I am through using it. I had a funny feeling last night, and turned it off before I went to bed. Boy, was I glad. At about 1 a.m. I awoke to crashes, flashes, and pouring rain.

The wet season came two weeks late here, but I am glad that it finally arrived.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 05:13 pm
We had one last night, didn’t get a lot of rain just enough to water everything. It started right after I went to bed and was booming over the house, very loudly I might say Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 07:02 pm
We just had one and a tornado watch to boot. I love this season..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 02:11 pm
Things have been ca-razy around here. Lots of violent storms blowing through. One of my big (100' +) cottonwoods was hit by lightning early this week while I was sitting about 30 feet away (inside). Now that was a big boom!

Overall the tree seems mostly fine, the bark exploded off of one section (bark fragments in neighbors' yards and on their roofs up to two houses away, it really blasted) and that might be problematic long-term but all branches are there, etc. (We had the trees trimmed extensively in part because they're the tallest things in the immediate area and this is not the first time they've been struck by lightning. A third cottonwood was struck maybe 20 years ago [before our time] and keeled over and crushed the garage of people behind us.)

Power was off for a while, phone was off for a long while, which meant no internet since I have DSL. Everything OK now, just have to watch that barkless swath and see what happens. (About 3' by 10'.)

It was a pretty spectacular light show, lightning bouncing everywhere for a while. We've had a super-wet summer so far, nothing caught on fire (except the phone line).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 02:28 pm
We've had a series of "mini-storms" going through. Sometimes you don't even know it until you go outside. I just let the little girl dog out about ten minutes ago, and the back steps were wet, and leaves and buds and small branches were everywhere, meaning there had been some serious wind. They keep blowing through, but no one of them is prolonged.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 03:45 pm
We've got another severe thunderstorm, maybe a tornado watch. It's very humid and the clouds are starting to roll in. Going to take the dog for a walk before the deluge.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 03:51 pm
@Ceili,
Buncha big boom crack booms last night. Definitely a thundery season this year.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 04:38 pm
I work in Clearwater, about twelve miles from St. Pete, we had a thunderstorm today and it poured for an hour! Came home and not one drop of rain at the house.