Relations between views of revelation and salvation

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:06 pm
I have an important oral exam in religion that's only 14 hours away!!

One of the tasks is as follows:
Debate the relations between views of revelation and views of salvation in Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

I find it really difficult to come up with something to say on this matter. I'm desperate for help now, so all help would be greatly appreciated .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 728 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Jim

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:50 pm
All religion is based on man's efforts to try to reach God.

Islam has rules mandating every aspect of your life. The better you follow these rules, the more "reward" you earn, and ultimately, a higher position in the afterlife. In Islam, it is by your own actions that you "earn" and "deserve" salvation.

In Christianity, there is nothing you can do to "deserve" or "earn" salvation. The gulf (sin) between man and God is too great. That is why God entered His own creation and died on the cross - to pay our penalty. In Christianity, all one needs to do is to believe and accept this.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 10:12 pm
Re: Oral exam in religion. Quick reply is needed!!
hungry hippo wrote:
I have an important oral exam in religion that's only 14 hours away!!

I thought you were dying in 14 hours.

Whew. Don't worry. Tomorrow's exam is not THAT important.
0 Replies

hungry hippo

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
Ok, now the exam is over. Thanks for your help Jim. My conclusion was similar to yours. But also in Islam gods mercy is needed to achieve salvation. In other words not even muslims can "deserve" salvation.

real life: Well it was important! I don't know how the grades are calculated where you come from, but in Norway the average of about 20 grades is multiplied with 10. This exam decided the outcome of one of those 20 grades. The final number decides weather or not I may enter the medical university I have applied to. So a low score might prevent me from getting the job I want to spend the rest of my life doing. If I can't manage to realise my dream to become a doctor, I think I might become depressive and lose my confidence and selfrespect. Luckily i got 6 out of 6 in this case.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:03 pm
Jim wrote:
In Christianity, all one needs to do is to believe and accept this.

This is a grave oversimplification of the Christian doctrine.

There are some scriptures where Jesus and other say this (i.e. the ubiquitous John 3:16), but there are quite a few others that say the opposite. Modern American religious people tend to take the easy scriptures (that say they are OK) and ignore the rest. You could ask the question of what it means to believe.

Taking the words of Christ, and the Bible as a whole, it certainly means you will change your life and live differently. American churches ignore this.

Consider Matthew 25 (which should be part of any course in religion)

Quote:

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Consider this stern warning from Jesus to believers in Matthew 7...

Quote:

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'

Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

And finally this passage from the book of James chapter 2.

Quote:

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
0 Replies