Ancient Life

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2020 02:22 pm
They are becoming aggressive with the ads. I have downloaded Brave to avoid ads but quit using it when Google gave me flak about getting into their sites, such as my blog. So I suffer the ads.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2020 06:40 pm
@Setanta,
Hyracotherium is the "fashionable name for eohippus . Blme the Europeans even though they inherited horses and we di all the work.

Im not sure of the climate peaks but during the "Grand Coupure" (I think thats how itwas spelt) , a time to the late oligocene, all the areas of the world bgan cooling . The shallow sea in the mid US bcame a great grasslan and grasslands all over were associated with a mass extinction (the " bigass breakage" which sounds better in french), and all the paleo forms of animals died out and their neer forms began rising.
Horses were tied pretty much to the evironment because as the grasslands appeared , theMesotherial toes (3 hooflets) became vestigial , as did the limb patterns of the ancient paleocetaceans. From the end of the Oligocene the estuarine areas along the sothern
Indo -African areas where whale evolution began, became deeper water areas with very few remaining estuaries that originally gave rise to the packycetus and ambliocetus. The beginning of the Miocene saw the appearances of many modern form species, and a big hiatus in species of earlier "asian" types .

During these times two bolides were discovered in the stratigraphy within the last 25 years.

The first, the Chesapeake "Invader" was discovered by dr Wiley Poag of USGS from data he couldnt understand from UGS ground water monitoring systems. Wells drilled within the areas of the Potomac and Rappahannock and James Rivers showed weird water levels, as if all these areas were part of a single aquifer zone. Also the chemistry of the water was indicative of some extra aquifer metallic ions.later drilling showed the typical layers of shocked quartz and really smashed up deep zones of paleocene and Cretaceous underlying rocks.
Then another one was found in the Siberian rocks of the Creatceous. This was called the Popagai bolide. It was apparently a final smack that marched the climate to a cooler, lower marine water stand . So the "little extinction event" was an opportunity for newer forms of species to develop and become "overadapted" to a new environmental system
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 09:44 am
This video is slightly misleading but he corrects it at the end
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2020 11:28 am
@edgarblythe,
good deal. Theres a few on here that like to argue the "direct lineage" argument that they acquired more from SCi Fi comic books than from working fossil guys.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 05:07 pm
@farmerman,
Heres a quiz

What do THANITOTHERISTES degrootosum and Poutine have in common?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:15 pm
@farmerman,
Your search - THANITOTHERISTES degrootosum - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try fewer keywords.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:19 pm
So I'm guessing both are laden with cheese.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 07:16 pm
@farmerman,
I am a Pan Troglodyte I dunno! Did you say Putin? What was the other species?
My search engine wants me to think I don wanna!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 08:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
just try thanitorestes. forget the degrootum(ensis?)
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 08:19 pm
@farmerman,
Okay -
Dum de dum -

Your search - thanitorestes - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 08:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
sorry. I was sent a thingy from a friend who said it was th neest discovery of the "Reaper of Death"

THANATOTHERISTES degrootorum.
I wa kinda off on my spelling eh?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 08:52 pm
@farmerman,
Ah. I saw the headline on that and planned to go back and read.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 11:23 pm
Car-sized turtle fossils unearthed
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51485011
0 Replies

Zoey141

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 04:26 am
@edgarblythe,
I would say its bacteria. Scientists are talking of the permafrost melting and releasing microscopic creatures. Perhaps this might be interesting: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160602-some-lifeforms-may-have-been-alive-since-the-dinosaur-era
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 12:16 pm
Frozen bird turns out to be 46,000-year-old horned lark
https://www.heritagedaily.com/2020/02/frozen-bird-turns-out-to-be-46000-year-old-horned-lark/125820
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 08:51 pm
Research on soldier ants reveals that evolution can go in reverse
https://phys.org/news/2020-03-soldier-ants-reveals-evolution-reverse.html
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 09:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
excellent post wdgar. Its been a bit of fossil weirdness that of the trilobite clan, the ntire family of these critters had seemed to return to a simple form of T bites in the "end days" of all trilobite species just before they went all wxtinct.
Prmian Trilobites began to look like early " 45 slug" shape pf late Cambrian ones. There was a pwriod of waay increased spines and "tail fins" (thats what they look like to me) and then, just before thy blinkd out in "The Big Dying" , they lookd like they returned toa simpl generalized shape .

Thi kinda refutes "Dollo's Law" (which I hated as a law because it had no equations)
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 09:18 pm

The Family That Walks on All Fours - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_That_Walks_on_All_Fours
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 03:55 am
@farmerman,
I’ve been trying to tell you for years now - The only evolution actually observed, is loss of function, ie, 'Backwards Evolution'. Order to disorder. Entropy.
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 01:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
REALLY? You see everything as entropy? Please explain the adaptation in galapagos finches specific to two islands(And studied by the Princeton ethologists husband and wife team Drs Grant and Grant since the 1960's and who've published several tens of papers an two books on the subject). On these islands were several immigrant species that had adapted to handle a specific dietary change from their original homes on the SA mainland.

Oh yeh, how about cichlid fishes that had been held behind constructed dams on the Connecticut River back in early colonial times. Many of these cichlids had , via adaptive evolution, completely changed their dietary preferences and consequently, their shapes.

Antarctic stickleback fish

African Chiclids

1. Forums
  2. » Ancient Life
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:43:18