cat attacks randomly - at my wit's end

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2019 03:53 pm
I adopted Karma about 4 months ago. He followed me home from work right into my apartment, as far as I know he'd never been owned or in a shelter. The vet said he's about a year old and healthy, and he was unfixed when I got him (I took care of that quickly). Unfortunately due to our current living situation, he's only allowed to be in my bedroom. He has taken to this change rather well, and I do my best to take as good care of him as possible. He has tons of toys, nooks and crannies to explore, I play with him at least 20 minutes a day and often take him out on a harness and leash. I train him as well, which he loves. He seems happy, he's always purring and he plays a lot, he's comfortable and relaxed most of the time, he's very affectionate when he needs attention, sleeps with me at night and enjoys being petted, etc. Happy healthy cat behavior.

HOWEVER. He randomly attacks me out of nowhere! I've had cats all my life, I'm well educated in reading body language, but sometimes he doesn't even warn first. I'll be reading or whatever and all of a sudden out of nowhere he's attached to my ankle, claws out, drawing blood, the whole shebang. I've tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Ignoring him, leaving the room when he does it, gently scruffing him mama-cat style, putting him in his carrier, saying No or Ouch, turning away/exaggerated crying-like-i'm-hurt noises, hissing, distracting his energy to something else....I hate to admit it but I've resorted to the spray bottle because he won't stop once he's started and I'm covered in scratches. Nothing works, and most things make it worse. It's not from lack of attention, since I give him attention constantly. I can't tell if it's real aggression or just play (sometimes he will have his fur up and do the low "mrooow" like an angry cat would). Please help! He is so perfect in every other way but I can't keep doing this!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,030 • Replies: 7
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:59 pm
He probably needs more play time with you. Or a companion to play with when you're busy.

Does the spray make him back down when he pounces on you?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 02:27 pm
Sprays often make matters worse.

Play time of 20 minutes is not a whole lot.

Although he seems somewhat behaved, he may be borderline feral. The difference here is he doesn't mind being held usually.

He may just be his own creature.

If the cat is gray, then he has a past. A friend of mine had a kitten just about a year ago he got from the traveling pet van. They cat was similar to what you describe.. Would switch from affection to attack out of nowhere. He returned the cat. It was the only time he has ever given up on a cat. He even has a formerly feral cat, which after some time calmed down and adjusted to indoor life and the benefits that brings.
Elliot Polston

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 03:05 am
@flightyfool,
I also think that the cat wants to play with you more
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 11:20 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
If the cat is gray, then he has a past.

What does the color gray have to do with having a past?
roger

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 01:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
A gray cat is a cat. Cats have pasts.
livinglava

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 05:33 pm
@flightyfool,
flightyfool wrote:

HOWEVER. He randomly attacks me out of nowhere! I've had cats all my life, I'm well educated in reading body language, but sometimes he doesn't even warn first. I'll be reading or whatever and all of a sudden out of nowhere he's attached to my ankle, claws out, drawing blood, the whole shebang. I've tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING.

Have you tried putting on protective gloves and sleeves and then playing with him when he's like that until he's totally tired himself out?

If he realizes he doesn't have power over you by doing it, he might start associating it with the feeling of getting tired and giving up instead of with the feeling of getting a reaction out of you.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 05:49 pm
@roger,
Hmm, there's a logical fallacy going on here. . .
0 Replies