Prehistoric Croc Fossils Found in Brazil

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 11:20 pm
Prehistoric Croc Fossils Found in Brazil

By MICHAEL ASTOR, Associated Press Writer Wed Jun 8, 6:08 PM ET

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Scientists on Wednesday unveiled 11 skeletons of prehistoric crocodiles and said their discovery suggests that an ancient land bridge once linked South America to Indo-Pakistan.

The fossilized skeletons of the Baurusuchus salgadoensis appear to be closely related to another ancient crocodile species, the Pabwehshi pakistanesis discovered in Pakistan, scientists from Rio de Janeiro's Federal University said.

"This discovery really proves that South America was at one time linked to the India-Pakistan bloc and this link could have only been through Antarctica or Australia," said Rudolph Trouw, regional editor of the scientific magazine Gondwana Research.

The Baurusuchus salgadoensis lived some 90 million years ago in an area of southeastern Brazil known as the Bauru Basin, some 700 kilometers (450 miles) west of modern-day Rio de Janeiro, said Pedro Henrique Nobre, one of the authors of the crocodiles' scientific description.

An adult measured about 3 meters (10 feet) from head to tail and weighed around 400 kilograms (900 pounds), making it the largest crocodile species ever discovered in South America, Nobre said.

Unlike modern crocodiles, the Baurusuchus had long legs and spent much of its time walking. It also could live in arid areas where water was scarce like other carnivorous dinosaurs of the epoch, Nobre said.

Nobre said the skeleton was exceptionally well preserved.

Scientists were able to separate the fossil's jaws and see how the Baurusuchus used its big teeth to chew its prey, he said.

"It's the best preserved fossil in this family. The ribs are intact and practically all the bones are preserved. To find a fossil this well preserved is rare," Nobre said.

Scientists were led to the fossils by elementary school teacher Joao Tadeu Arruda, who dug them up himself after one of his students showed him a fossilized tooth near the southwestern city of General Salgado.

Brazil has drawn international attention for its recent discoveries of prehistoric creatures.

In January, the same team of scientists unveiled a replica of another prehistoric crocodile species, Uberabasuchus Terrificus, which lived along the Sao Paulo coast around 70 million years ago.

In December, scientists unveiled a replica of Unaysaurus tolentinoi, an ancestor of the huge Brontosaurus that lived 230 million years ago in what is now southern Brazil. Experts said it was more closely related to fossils found in Germany than to dinosaurs from neighboring Argentina.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 905 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:55 pm
bob, Interesting info. There have been speculation before about India's connection to Antarctica, but this is the first time Pakistan is mentioned, because of similar fauna and flora. Since they are neigboring countries, it sounds reasonable for the present connection to be made. 90-million years ago, heh? Boggles the mind, does't it.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:56 am
Hi c. i. In a global sense of course there's not much difference. Before 1947 Pakistan was part of India. There are crocodiles in India but you may also run into gharials (gavialis gangeticus) a narrow snouted cousin. I was particularly interested to see what the findings will reveal as they are described as being in excellent condition.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:11 am
If you hear more news about them, please let us know. It might also be a good idea to invite farmerman and a few other scientific types to this board.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:21 am
Farmerman is one I deeply respect for his well informed posts. I can't pm so I don't know how to reach him.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:50 am
I'll pm farmerman. Wink
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:12 pm
Thanks c. i. You're a good guy. I don't care what they say about you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:16 pm
bob, I don't care what people say about me, because otherwise I'd just be another person without any convictions. Heck, I have disagreements with all three of my siblings (they're all christians and republicans, and I'm an atheist and independent). Doesn't mean I don't love them.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:45 pm
I know what that's like. I tend to be considerate. But if I don't agree I'll say anything to anyone at any time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:26 pm
Ive followed this a bit. Ive been up North for the last couple days and am at a motel with hosting.

The ages when the various continents split from Pangea (Laurasia and Gondwana subcontinents) is a very big study area for paleontologists cause, as you said, if a fossil is found in both proto India and proto Australia, it had to mean that these continental areas were connected when that fossil lived.
When I get home, I have this brand new textbook called Continents and Supercontinents. It has all the ages of when specific land masses split off.
All I can add now is that Gondwana formed about 580 my ago. It began splitting up with any conviction about 250 mya. South America, Africa, India < Oz, Antactic were still connected. South America began rifting from 130 to 100 mya (It peeled away so Braziliana was the last to rift. Then India left tHE Africa Madigascar rift about 60 mya..

This very croc was also found in Niger and India , I beleive , so it shows that it was a bigass Jurassic/ Cretaceous critter. Itll be interesting to see what evolutionary differences had accumulated in the various variants to distinguish them as they rafted away from each other. Theyve also found actual herbiv dinos in Australia that were sim species as those found in S America.

Its interesting that when many of these species were killed off in the Cretaceous, they were already disappearing because the rafting continents were drastically changing the ocean currents and , hence, the planets climate.

Ci-remember, the continents move about as fast as your fingernails grow. (I like that comparison)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:02 pm
I've heard some years ago that the measurement of the platetonics were inches per year. Couldn't swear to that, but that's all I remember.
0 Replies