Rat Problem: Rats Smarter than Me

livinglava

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 12:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

They are steadily commercializing and suburbanizing everything. I can't go driving off looking, since I don't know what they are going to bulldoze next.

Yes, that seems to be a problem everywhere, doesn't it?

Still there must be some conservation area or public forest you can find. Even if they're in the process of developing it, there is no one living there yet so let the rats have a chance at life there.

Probably they will just get eaten by a predator wherever you put them, but at least you don't have to wake up from nightmares where they come back to haunt you in your dreams like zombies or whatever.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 12:43 pm
@livinglava,
I am 77 and have too many problems. I can't do it.
livinglava

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 12:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am 77 and have too many problems. I can't do it.

Did you get the screen fastened over the gaps where you think they're coming in?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 01:15 pm
@livinglava,
Mostly. There is a vulnerable spot behind the dishwasher.
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 01:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
weve kept mice n other vermin out of our RV by stuffing steel wol in any joints like our slide outs. We had a friend who had a neat Prevost rig and it got infested with mice and fire ants. He used steel wool for the mice and moth balls in bags for the fire ants.

Worked really well. Wo I went and did some preemptive steel wooling (but I havent had any rhinoceros infestations either)
livinglava

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 01:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Mostly. There is a vulnerable spot behind the dishwasher.

Can you get to it to screw the screen into place? Or would you have to move the dishwasher?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 01:32 pm
how about a snake - snakes eat mice and rats
livinglava

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 01:37 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

how about a snake - snakes eat mice and rats

hard to catch once you free them, though. Maybe a non-poisonous one would leave on its own after eating all the rodents, though.

Snakes do pee and poop, though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 01:48 pm
@farmerman,
I am using steel wool, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 01:50 pm
I will have to pull the dishwasher out, which is why it's not yet done.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 02:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
That only becomes a problem after (IF) you catch it.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 02:59 pm
@roger,
At this point, it is in question which of us will prevail.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2019 06:09 am
Last night the rat was injured. I had bought a plastic trap that looked different enough from the one made of wood that I hoped it would be fooled. It went for it but managed to escape and live to torment me further. It left skin and hair on the trap.
livinglava

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2019 06:14 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Last night the rat was injured. I had bought a plastic trap that looked different enough from the one made of wood that I hoped it would be fooled. It went for it but managed to escape and live to torment me further. It left skin and hair on the trap.

Rodents can be very resourceful. If you hear a live-trap spring in the night, you often have to jump up out of bed to put it in a more secure container like a plastic storage box or else the animal will find a way to escape the trap.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2019 06:49 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You should write a book about this "war". You will become as famous as Ishmael and Moby Dick.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:43 pm
Twisted Evil

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
roger

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2019 04:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
He checked his battery condition by shorting it out with two wires. I wouldn't trust anything else he showed us, either. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure your rat is a bit smarter than his.

Sorry to hear your little guy was injured.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 06:54 am
You have no hope - rats are going to take over the world - they are smarter than we think so why the heck are we teaching them to be even more adapt at human things? I am more worried about a rat apocalypse than a zombie apocalypse.

https://images.newscientist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/22120246/rat-car-1_edit.jpg?width=778

Scientists have trained rats to drive tiny cars to collect food

Rats have mastered the art of driving a tiny car, suggesting that their brains are more flexible than we thought.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2220721-scientists-have-trained-rats-to-drive-tiny-cars-to-collect-food/#ixzz63H8f3900
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:48 am
@Linkat,
I have long felt that most animals are smarter than they get credit for. The more adaptable ones, such as rats, could easily fill the void if humans went extinct.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 01:55 pm
I have one of the plug in thingies coming by mail.
0 Replies