Nature - Do you crave more?

Foofie

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:39 am
An author, Richard Louv, has coined the term "nature deficit children." Are many adults also nature deficit in our modern technological society?

How do you connect with nature? For urbanites, does a park suffice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,918 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:54 am
@Foofie,
It doesn't, but it certainly is a start...we not only miss nature as we miss the rhythm of nature...no wonder people are insulting each other on the web for 2 cents of disagreement...having a straight honest job building real value might help to...(small farming, raising free cattle , baking bread, and similar stuff sound wise and natural to me)
0 Replies

Atom Blitzer

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
@Foofie,
I don't like to connect with nature, rather I like to fight it. Then I like to come home defeated, and do it again the next day.
Know that we are in a constant struggle against nature, and it is trying to kill us. So we need to kill it first.
Nature is a bitch.

(I'm kidding)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:00 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
...by "fight" you mean "work" (like in physics) ? what else would you do if you didn't need it ? let me guess, you are one more in the crowd craving for a paradise of lazybones here on Earth ?
Atom Blitzer

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
No, I crave to defy the laws of nature. To be above nature, an unexplainable non-regular part in the universe. In other words, a "God" or one of the "gods".
roger

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:20 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Nature, of course, is not trying to kill us. It's also not trying to do nice things for us. Nature simply doesn't care.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
...let me throw you a useful cliché there...you better know what you want be, before you come to be something you don't know...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:31 pm
@roger,
...it cared enough to bring you about, and it never stop you from closing the door if you are not happy...it seams to me most people are happy enough with it...sometimes lazy being ends up with an all to easy no purpose reply...(just an opinion)
roger

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
No, it didn't care enough to bring me about. It also didn't care enough to prevent my arrival. It simply does not care.

The primary law of Nature seems to be "Sink or swim, sucker".
aidan

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:44 pm
I don't crave it because I live amidst it and I indulge my desire for it every day. Today I walked four miles into the village and four miles back and this is the landscape I walked through and can see from my back garden (although this particular picture was taken early one morning this past winter - I didn't carry my camera with me today).

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_1904.jpg

I can't live in a city anymore. And I can't deal with suburbs anymore. I don't mind visiting, but if I stay for any amount of time, it begins to feel very soulless to me.

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:48 pm
@aidan,
First class photo, aidan.
aidan

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:53 pm
@roger,
Thank you roger.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:58 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

No, it didn't care enough to bring me about. It also didn't care enough to prevent my arrival. It simply does not care.

The primary law of Nature seems to be "Sink or swim, sucker".

Semantics right there...it seams to me that if you are possible and you came about, nature cared after all...you see intention in nature, is not from mind but from possibility to fact...minds in good truth intend nothing that nature didn't intend through them...you being right reasons perhaps minds don't intend much after all, but then your complaining is of no value either...a no issue.

..."Sink or swim sucker" is the best possible way of going about living...perfection without intention renders intention an expression of perfection...even if to kill yourself...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:00 pm
@aidan,
What a superb sight, lucky you !
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
If nature cares, 'nature' becomes another word for some sort of god. Can you disagree?
Atom Blitzer

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:04 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Let me get this straight. You're saying Nature is synonymous with God in that it has intention, instead of seeing nature as some sort of organized chaos.
Isn't that just adding another layer of assumption, so by occam's razor concept, isn't it better to not equate God with nature?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:06 pm
@roger,
...you know my disagreement is not of that order...I just think "nature doesn't care" is not that much informative as it might seam...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:09 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
I am (trying) to say something slightly more deep...I am saying "intention" was not intended...and that what is real is always "good"...although of course not linearly good...

(complaining about doesn't care makes no sense)
Mame

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I am (trying) to say something slightly more deep...I am saying "intention" was not intended...and that what is real is always "good"...although of course not linearly good...

(complaining about doesn't care makes no sense)

What is real is not always what is good - you might be saying of yourself that you prefer what is real, though. And what is 'linearly good'???

And nobody's complaining about nature not caring that I could see.

As for myself, I live in a city but it is sprawling so not so bad and yesterday I got out to a ranch 1.5 hrs away and my dogs got to herd sheep for a few hours. I loved the drive through the rolling foothills in big sky country. I could live out there... but I'd be a bit worried I'd get a bit bored, so... I live in a city, but it is sprawling so not so bad.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:00 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
And nobody's complaining about nature not caring that I could see.

It was implicit...not a direct strong complain, but I perceive one in it...

"Caring" here is not interpreted has intention or goal from mind, but as natural adequacy, symmetry, coherence between people and the world from which they came from...if I am a part of the world, on which I work and operate within its rules, what else would I wont which is not of this world ?

Linear good is the naive idea that pleasure is a value in itself if not compared with displeasure, when in fact value, positive or negative, needs fluctuation to exist !

Yeah I see what you mean regarding the temptations in the city we are used to, the natural compromise would be choosing to live close to a city but not in one...
0 Replies