booman2 needs your help [resolved]

yitwail

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:12 pm
wa2k listeners are already aware of the troubles booman2 has been experiencing logging into a2k. he has already contacted tech support, to no effect. i'm starting this thread in the hope that the entire membership of a2k voice their support for his "reinstatement." please click the reinstate option on the poll, or add your own comments to that effect on this thread. he's a man of taste--he likes jazz, afterall--and i have always found him to be courteous as well. thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,985 • Replies: 20
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:03 pm
Dang, I hope he doesn't have to go the Booman3 route.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:17 pm
Have you tried using the help option at the bottom of the page, yitwail? I used it when a friend had trouble logging in, and I got some info to help her back in.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:28 pm
eB, thanks for your suggestion. i just tried it, but what it says in this case is, if he's using the right username & password, he should submit a ticket from the help desk home page, which i presume he's done already.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:33 pm
Are you sure he still has the same email address as when he registered? I know another friend had some problems when he changed ISP's, and the messages were going to his old e-ddress, which he no longer had access to.

In that case, help desk was sending him messages with advice that weren't getting through.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:18 am
This is really silly and will probably only irritate those who give their time helping people with log in problems.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:23 am
Thank you, yitwail, for starting this thread. Perhaps it is I who didn't explain properly what Boo's problem is. He simply can't access A2K and has nothing to do with being banned or anything of that nature. I had a nice response from the support team on his behalf, and it probably is either his pc, or if he is like me, problems understanding things.

Craven, I'm not certain why you think it is "silly", but perhaps it is because you have misunderstood as well.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:58 am
Actually, I think I do understand it.

Booman can't log in despite the efforts of the volunteer help desk staff. It is, quite likely, a matter of lacking technical understanding on his part. This is something that must be frustrating to those doing their best to help him.

To attempt to start a campaign to "reinstate" booman is something that implies the opposite. I think it's silly because I know that it is not a matter of willingness and the implied purpose of this thread is to cajole said willingness, implying that he needs our help to get attention while in reality our responses to him on the help desk have not been replied to and his request suggests a problem on his end that we have no control over.

I think it's irritating because trying to shame the volunteers into working harder is inherently something I find irritating, given all that they do. And if one wishes to do so I wish they would have the courtesy to make sure they have their fact straight prior to doing so.

I'm sure yitwail means well, but this isn't the way to go about getting help.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 04:06 am
Well, Craven, I think the fault is mine for not being clear when I solicited help from yitwail. As I said, it's more of a lack of understanding about procedure than anything else.

Once again, thanks to the support group and yitwail for trying to help Booman2.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 04:16 am
paraphrasing the support team's response:

The support team could not understand Booman's problem, so they needed to take another look at his query in order to be of help, which they have graciously done before.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:31 am
Re: booman2 needs your help
yitwail wrote:
wa2k listeners are already aware of the troubles booman2 has been experiencing logging into a2k. he has already contacted tech support, to no effect. i'm starting this thread in the hope that the entire membership of a2k voice their support for his "reinstatement." please click the reinstate option on the poll, or add your own comments to that effect on this thread. he's a man of taste--he likes jazz, afterall--and i have always found him to be courteous as well. thank you.

Allow me to respond, since I administer the site under the direction of Craven and answer many of the inquiries on the Help Desk, as does the volunteer staff. We do not leave requests for technical help unanswered.

booman, as has been said before, was not banned. There is no need for a so-called "reinstatement". This isn't a matter of pressure or popularity or poll results or anything of the sort. He has had problems because of issues with the password to his original account. In fact, he reported those problems resolved: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1352426&highlight=#1352426
We have made every effort to help him and will continue to do so. We do not need pressures or poll results in order to do that. I will personally check the Help Desk again tonight and will see if there is any other way to reach him. As we had told him in our most recent responses, we suspect that our communications to him through the Help Desk are being trash-canned by his spam filter. Plus, it may be an autoresponder that was incorrectly set up on his end. There is absolutely nothing that the Help Desk can do about this. That is an issue with his email account. He will have to take care of that himself. I am sorry if that is happening but of course I do not have access into his own emails.

And I want to reiterate that our volunteer staff works very hard and makes every effort to solve technical issues. There is no need for opinion polls to get them to do ther jobs. I am proud of the staff that we have put together, and I do hope that it is understood that it is the administrators' job to motivate the staff. If you feel the administrators are not doing this well, direct your frustrations to me in a PM. I will be happy to answer any and all reasonable inquiries about staff motivation (within our confidentiality requirements) and I am up for suggestions in this and any other area. I take full and complete responsibility for the actions of the staff, and will respond to all reasonable inquiries and suggestions. You don't need a poll for that.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 07:04 am
it seems i've offended a lot of people, for which i apologize. i did not wish to imply that booman had been banned, and i was asking for his reinstatement tongue-in-cheek. i thank craven & jespah for providing detailed feedback on the nature of booman's problem; i sincerely hope they get resolved. while letty did ask me to help out booman, the poll idea is entirely my own, and i ask the administrator to delete it now. but if he's been unable to receive email from the support staff, then my well-intentioned but misguided campaign may have helped, if someone will pass along the information to him.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 07:15 am
yitwail, I'm sure that things have been cleared up now. I e-mailed Boo and explained the situation, but have not, as yet, gotten a response, so I am inclined to believe that it may be his pc.

Communication is a delicate thing but open and honest discussions seem to work out quite well, and this is the reason that A2K means "able to know"....I'm still working on able to understand. <smile>
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 10:15 am
Quote:
the poll idea is entirely my own, and i ask the administrator to delete it now.

yitwail, i think you can edit the first post and remove the poll...
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 11:06 am
RP, i can edit but i can't delete, so yitwail's folly will persist awhile.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 11:23 am
I think it's useful to have this info out here, comes up now and again and it's nice to have this to point to, even if Craven and Jes can't answer the next one.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:55 am
For everyone:

It seems that Booman, fancying himself on a glucose free diet, got rid of his cookies, and therein lay the problem.

Deep appreciation for the responses and the help, especially to the man of folly. <smile>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:00 am
Quote:
glucose free diet
- I hate it when that happens Embarrassed
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:52 am
letty, thanks for the kind remarks, but my thanks to the crack volunteer staff of a2k working tirelessly behind the scenes to maintain the best internet forum operational despite being saddled with a host of the technologically naive with a tendency to inadvertently sabotage their best efforts. may your cookies be tasty always. Smile
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:48 pm
Greetings all you concerned and helpful people....I am happy to report that rumors of my demise, and/or ban, have been greatly exaggerated. Razz
.....I had quite a start when I saw the poll, but perhaps its good that it couldn't be deleted. It can stand to show how important clear communiation is at all times.
.....I'm a novice in the technology of computors. The reason I got into that trouble was UNCLEAR COMMUNICATION on my part resulting in improper application of knowledge given to me. I took a little info and went crazy with it. That's why they a LITTLE knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
....Able2know is a LOT LARGER, membershp wise, if not staffwise, than it was a couple of years ago. I had an earlier problem with PM's, that was not handled as quickly as I wanted it, (never is, I tend to whine when I don't get what I want, right now)but the staff took care of it in a most thorough, and creative manner.
.....So I will now close off by giving my concerned A2k family, and the overloaded, but brilliant staff, a STANDING OVATION Exclamation ..Go ahead you guys, take a bow........
0 Replies