Fairy Wren & Other Australian Birds

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 09:49 pm
Australia seems to have an incredible collection of animals including some extraordinary birds. This article in the NYTimes shows that one of its smallest and most beautiful is also very clever...

This Tiny Bird Knows an Impostor When it Hatches

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/03/18/science/18wren.184.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,938 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:22 am
Piffka- What a lovely story- and what a gorgeous bird. Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:01 am
Thanks Piffka :-) I don't think I've ever seen such a beatiful bird.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:25 am
We have a wonderful collection of colourful birds, interesting birds, unusual birds, etc.

I'm happy to direct visitors to some great birding - but you will have to travel outside the city!

Thanks Piffka for bringing it up!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:44 am
I just had to add this to a2k when I read it uses kangaroo fur in its nest. Awwww, that is SO CUTE.

Plus -- I love birds with blue feathers.

Margo -- Have you ever seen one of these???
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:09 am
then there are the almost extinct Kylie bird and its close relative the Danni bird.. How the Dame Edna bird has survived, God alone knows and he's not telling.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:23 am
Hey- Why don't one of you Aussies create a thread on Australian bird life in the Wilderness Forum? I'll bet there are a lot of people who would love to learn about Australian birds, and we all could share our bird knowledge from around the world.

I happen to be a birder myself, and would love to hear about what are, for me, exotic birds!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:11 pm
Phoenix

Nice idea, but I don't think any of us are birders. City (and suburban) folk don't see much variety of birds. I certainly don't know enough about Aussie birds to host a thread on them.

I have seen small birds that look like this - wrens - but I don't know if I have seen this particular chappie!

Because a lot of our birds are big, raucous and colourful, these little fellas may not get noticed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:57 am
OK, I had to do a bit of research on birds for biology classes last year, so I"m willing to take it on.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 02:17 am
Australian Birds.

Here it is.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:34 pm
Wilso

You're a gem! Very Happy
0 Replies

dilz

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:11 am
Superb Blue Wrens
Hi. I need some information about Superb Blue Wrens. I would like to know if they can live safely with cockatiels and budgies. I tried to purchase a breeding pair but the owner said the cockatiels would kill them. i have previously kept wrens with other small parrots and nothing happened. if anyone could give me a second opinion it would be greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 03:18 am
I can't give you any more than educated guesses, but I've never known of cockatiels to be particularly aggressive, and I once knew a guy who had an avery full of heaps of different Australian birds, both parrots and others, and he never had any problems that I know of. Unless the cockatiels are breeding and nesting, I suppose then they could become territorial.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 07:11 am
Here are th eresults of a search I did, Dilz - I hope it may help:

http://web.ask.com/web?q=Are+cockatiels+aggressive+to+other+birds+when+kept+together%3F&o=0&qsrc=0&askbutton.x=23&askbutton.y=14

And welcome!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 07:16 am
Embarrassed

Had a quick look - not sure it will.
0 Replies

dilz

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:31 pm
Thanx everyone!!!
0 Replies