Sheltie has cancer

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:40 pm
I just hung up the telephone with the Vet., our Sheltie - Banjo has cancer (tumor) by his bladder. I guess this is the type of stuff where you don't even biospy cause of spilling cells and making it worse. And having an operation is very expensive, and remove just means it's going to spread somewhere else. He's at the vet right now - we took him in for an ultra-sound and exam. The Vet says he has and amazingly well behaved patient. He didn't even try and nip the Vet when he was getting a cath put in. I said I tried to train him well on the nipping part. I have never tolerated that behavior well, so we worked to have him be docile with trimming toes and exams and such.

I'm a little bummed we lost out Golden from cancer 3 years ago. This is messy stuff.

I guess and the way things are going these days if I don't have bad luck, I don't have any luck. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,594 • Replies: 39
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
Aw. :-( How old is Banjo?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:49 pm
7 yrs old
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:40 pm
Ahhh, poor Banjo, and poor Husker clan.

Is Banjo uncomfortable?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:45 pm
We got him when we was 18 montha from a lady that had a heart condition and was unable to give him the attention he needed. He's a really really good dog, only one bad habit and that is he's a little over protective of the house which over all is not that bad a thing. People come to our front door and wonder what type of monster is behind the door, and once they enter he runs and hides and is pretty much totally silent.

He doesn't act u8ncomfortable, but it blocks his bladder, I just returned home from the vet with Banjo - he's resting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
Poor pupster.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:54 pm
Poor Banjo, give him hugs and ear scratches for me...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
Oh, I'm so sorry, husker. Did the vet give you any idea of what to expect from here on?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:15 pm
will know more tomorrow am
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
Did they tell you what speed the cancer is growing at? How expensive is the surgery? My poochie got cancerous tumors, which I had removed until she was diagnosed with this degenerative nerve thing. They were mast cell tumors - easy to remove, but still expensive to me (around 300 bucks a pop).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
according to what the vet told me on the phone because of location and blood test so far -he's pretty sure it's a bad\aggressive type if you miss with it it grows faster. He would have to go to a special Vet and the rough estimate is over $1.300 and that's a very conservative guess.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
yikes!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:49 pm
That's awfully expensive. What are the pup's chances if he has the surgery? And quality of life afterward? If they're not good, I don't know that I'd put him through it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
And Husker et al already have so much going on anyway.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:49 pm
this type of cancer is not winable and we're pretty broke right now, the Mrs is pretty upset and the daughter has not been showing her emotion yet.

the daughter asked if we could replace banjo before he died - that's out for discussion
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:59 am
It's hard to give anyone advice about things like this. Some people will spend as much as they would if it was their child. Others think it's a waste of money to spend anything at all on animals. All I can tell you is what I would do (and have done).

If the cancer is not winnable, then I wouldn't spend money I don't have prolonging the dog's pain. I'd enjoy the pet for as long as I could until it really started suffering. Then I'd try to find the grace to allow the vet to end it as painlessly and gently as possible.

You're a very caring person, husker, and I'm sure you love your pets very much. I know how difficult this must be for all of you, but I'm sure that your decision - whatever it is - will be the right one.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:30 pm
Well the Vet told the Mrs and Daughter this am that if the Feldene works we might get a few months and if not he wants to put him to sleep week or so.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:43 pm
Husker,
My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
May Banjo pass peacefully to "The Rainbow Bridge". (have you looked at that website?)
hugs,
PaL
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:59 pm
Husker... Sad

My dog growing up, Fred, was diagnosed with lung cancer at 14 year old. He was a lab/mutt. We decided to try the meds but they made him so thirsty and he would throw up all the time His quality of life was awful. So my parents took him off the meds figuring, he could at least enjoy what time he had left. Some days he was good, some he was so bad we had to hold him up to pee. He passed away one night, almost a year after the vet had recommended we put him down. We got another year with him and although some days were pretty awful, some days he was just like the dog he was before the cancer.

My advice is to use the time you have and make a decision based on the quality of life Banjo has right now. You know your pet by now and even if he can't speak, he can tell you volumes about how he's feeling. If he is suffering, then the best thing you can do is let him go peacefully. We chose to let Fred hang on and pass in his own time but like I said, it's something only you can decide.

Good luck and take care. I know how hard this is. It's been 11 years since Fred died and I still get misty eyed when I think about him. And I also still carry his dog tag on my key ring.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 01:03 pm
Psssssttt....this is the site Peace and Love mentioned.

Rainbow Bridge
0 Replies