Wild Dogs and Their KIn

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:36 pm
Hello. I have some questions about dog breeds and wild dogs.

I've heard the term coydog used, but what is a coydog?
Are there any domestic-wild hybrid breeds of dogs that are related to foxes, wolves, coyotes, jackals, dingos, and other wild dogs?
Are there any species of wild dogs that are brought into captivity and bred as pets?
Are there any new experimental and established dog breeds that have been created recently, and within the last decade?
Please let me know. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mr. Jason Goldman
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,323 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:41 pm
A coydog is a coyote/dog cross.

Dingos are dogs that were domesticated thousands of years ago who have since gone wild.

Wild dogs don't make particularly cuddly, trustworthy pets.

Other people here know more than I do on this subject and can answer the more complicated questions.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:12 pm
There are wolf/dog hybrids. I know this because I worked at a hospital that, on occasion, treated kids who'd been mauled by one. Not a good idea for a pet...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:31 pm
I got followed by a wolfdog while taking a lunchtime walk through an urban neighborhood. Freaked me out. Once I busted him though, he lost interest.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:25 pm
Is there such a thing as a fox-dog hybrid?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:29 pm
I think this topic should be over in he pets forum.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:04 pm
JGoldman--

Why not click on the Report button in the upper right hand corner of the first post and suggest the move to the mods?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:42 pm
Fox-dog wouldn't work -- chromosomes don't match up.

(I've mentioned this elsewhere today, somewhat inaccurately...)

Dingo has been bred back into at least one domestic dog breed in the past 100-150 years or so (the Australian cattle dog, aka blue heeler, aka a few others), and I would guess into some other Aussie breeds as well -- the kelpie certainly looks like it might have some dingo.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:38 pm
What wild dogs are in the pomeranian's lineage?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:01 pm
I should think wolf, like virtually everything else.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:27 pm
A fox-dog hybrid propbably wouldn't work anyway because a fox is in the vulips family and dogs are in the canis family.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:00 pm
I found this tidbit on fox-dog hybrids:
An unconfirmed female fox-dog hybrid (terrier/fox) has been reported in the UK, unfortunately it was euthanized when the owner died because no suitable home could be found for it. Although gamekeeper folklore claims that Terrier bitches can produce offspring with dog Foxes, there are no authenticated hybrids between domestic dogs and Red Foxes. Most supposed hybrids turn out to be natural variation in the domestic dog. The "dox" hybrid is no more real than a cabbit. There has been a reported cross between a domestic dog and a South American fox, but the latter was most likely a fox-like wolf and not a true fox.

Does anyone have any further input?
0 Replies

lovesj

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:08 am
IN CHINA there are some dog named wolf dog.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:26 am
Both the dog and the fox are of the order Carnivora, family Canidae. The dog is of the sub-family, or species, canis lupus familiarus, the fox of the sub-family canis vulpinea (the wolf is of the sub-family canis lupus lupus - genetically indistinguishable, apart from breed and family characteristics, from canis lupus familiarus).

They share a common ancestor, the progenitor of all modern canids, hesperocyonines, which looked similar to a cross between a weasel and a fox, and evolved in North America around 40 million years ago. Hesperocyonines went extinct about 15 million years ago, leaving 2 offshoots, one of which survives as the family Canidae. About 35 million years ago another dead end, the hyena-like borophagines evolved, going extinct about 2.5 million years ago. The other offshoot, canids, includes all extinct and existing species of canid, including the domestic dog. Having evolved in North America, canids crossed a land bridge to Asia about 7 million years ago, and within a million years or so had made into and throughout Europe and the African continent. DNA analysis indicates dogs evolved from wolves about 130,000 years ago, and that the sub-species peculiar to Australia are descended from African ancestors.

Fox-Dog hybrid just ain't gonna happen; while similar in many respects, the critters aren't similar enough. Among other considerations, their blood chemistries are very different, as are their basal temperatures, the dog's nominally 101.5, the fox's about 103. The normal gestation for a fox is around 7 weeks, for a dog around 9 weeks - two or three days either way being within normal variation. Dogs, wolves, jackals, and hyenas, having sufficiently similar chemistries, metabolisms, and gestations can and do interbreed, but foxes are out of the party.

And frankly, anyone who has to ask questions concerning the ins-and-outs of maintaining a one-on-one relationship with a wild or feral critter just doesn't have the qualifications to take on the task; neither you nor the critter will get any good out of the deal, and both of you likely will suffer harm. The truly unfortunate part of that is its generally the critter that suffers the most harm.

I've got some experience with wolves and hybrids; starting about the second page of this topic, I get into a related discussion with somebody who was considering getting one. I hope that individual thought better of that plan.
0 Replies