Future High School Teacher

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:03 am
I am going into my sophomore year, as a double major in education and history...I'd like to be a high school history teacher. I have always considered becoming a teacher, and I really think it's a profession I'd enjoy. HOWEVER, there are a few concerns that are really bugging me...and to be honest, really make me nervous about my future profession.

First, I hate public speaking...I don't really know how I will react to speaking in front of high school students, but generally I get pretty nervous speaking in front of large groups of adults.

Second, as much as I LOVE learning about history, I have a really hard time remembering it! While I like to consider myself a fairly intelligent girl, I'm worried my horrible memory will plague me in the history field! I discovered my passion for history just a few years ago in high school (a GREAT teacher I had clinched my aspirations of becoming a history teacher), and I feel that there are so many history buffs out there that would make me look like a fool!

Anyhow, other than these two concerns (which are reallyyyy bugging me), I think I'd be a great teacher...I love to motivate and always give anything I do 110 percent. I love the prospect of hopefully making my mark on even just a few students as some of my past teachers have. What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:45 am
Teachers need public speaking skills. Can you find a job at a summer camp and practice on the campers?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
Definitely get some experience speaking in front of groups. Start small. As far as your memory goes, don't worry about that. Teachers have the answer key Wink But seriously, teachers don't have to know everything. You will do plenty of preparation of your lessons. Teaching is much more that transferring information.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:54 pm
Wait a minute, I know everything! Just kidding. When I was in high school I was petrified of speaking in public. When I got to college, I was determined to change that so I joined student government. I purposely put myself in the position of speaking in front of groups of 20-80 fellow college students several times a week. I was horrendously nervous at first, but eventually became use to it. Now I'm an attention slut and have no problems whatever talking in front of large groups. My advice would be to start BIG. Since you've still got two to three more years of college left, look into joining your college's student government or some other student organization that will force you to speak publicly on a weekly (or more) basis. Most high school students will eat you alive if they sense any fear or nervousness.

On the content knowledge, I agree with Swimpy--you'll have your lesson plans near at hand (or should) in case you forget something. The trick is to make your students believe you have confidence in your own knowledge. Kids get a kick out of correcting the teacher, and that's no big deal, but if they become convinced that you don't know what you're talking about at all, you've got problems. Use your notes; if your students ask why you're looking at your notes, tell them you want to make sure you cover everything you meant to cover.

My biggest concern is your major--social studies is one of the least marketable majors in the country (I'm assuming you're in the US). I would recommend adding an additional major in something more marketable. If you're willing to move, English isn't a bad major to have (not the most in-demand, but you'll be able to find a decent position somewhere in the country); however, if you're at all good at math or science, add one of those--you'll have no trouble getting a job pretty much wherever you want to go. Get your foot in the door with the more marketable major, then switch departments when you've got seniority. Unfortunately, it has to be an additional major rather than a minor thanks to NCLB.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:04 pm
amanda, to help you out there are a couple of important keys to remeber. when you talk to a group you arent talking to a group. You are talking to one person at a time. The essence of eye contact! as far as memory is concerned there are a couple of things that will help you out. the first is the preperation is important. always have your notes, but also, be prepared! you will always run into "history Buffs."
We are history MAJORS! we learn about all aspects of history, not just some silly detail that might get you $400 on jeapordy.
You will overcome you fear of speaking by teaching. I know this from first hand experience. I've used teaching to cover the fact that i'm an introvert in public, but an extrovert in MY classroom. I have taught in the military, civilian world and school districts.
Also, the more you gain confidence in your knowledge of history, the better you will be at speaking and teaching.
Good luck.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:06 pm
amanda, to help you out there are a couple of important keys to remeber. when you talk to a group you arent talking to a group. You are talking to one person at a time. The essence of eye contact! as far as memory is concerned there are a couple of things that will help you out. the first is the preperation is important. always have your notes, but also, be prepared! you will always run into "history Buffs."
We are history MAJORS! we learn about all aspects of history, not just some silly detail that might get you $400 on jeapordy.
You will overcome you fear of speaking by teaching. I know this from first hand experience. I've used teaching to cover the fact that i'm an introvert in public, but an extrovert in MY classroom. I have taught in the military, civilian world and school districts.
Also, the more you gain confidence in your knowledge of history, the better you will be at speaking and teaching.
Good luck.
0 Replies