BBB's Dolly was missing; then found

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:

On big dogs, hey, before we maintained a behind-the-tall-fence, dog, at-all-times mode back in Venice, our Irish setter used to take off on jaunts. He tended to follow blondes, mostly of the jogging variety. We got a call from Redondo Beach once, something like seven miles away.

A dog after my own heart.

Happy to hear of the safe return BBB.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
Osso--

A vet told me once, "All Irish Setters are tramps." My Sasha certainly was--loveable, but loving everyone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:48 pm
That was Kelly..... feathers to the wind.
One of these days when I settle down, I'll scan a dozen slides and show Kelly in his prime.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:50 am
I am so happy to learn of Dolly's safe return
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:05 am
Thanks everyone
Thanks for all your support, everyone. Funny, isn't it, how I felt a need to post the bad and then the good news on A2K. It seems obvious that we've become a family, doesn't it?

Dolly is real clingy this morning. She whimpers and wants me to hold her, which is unusual for her as she is usually running after Maddy or playing with her toys. She keeps wanting to get in my lap while I'm at the computer. She was very thirsty last night. When I woke up this morning, their water bowl was empty. Maddy was acutely aware of her absence yesterday. They cuddled together all night. I took Maddy on some of my car searches and he was so quiet. He would just look at me so pitifully as I called out for Dolly.

I'm very suspicious of the family that had her. They have a daughter, about 5 or 6 years old. I'm wondering if she is the one taking Dolly inside. Perhaps her parents didn't know what she had done. If this is what happened, it appears that the parents need to get their daughter a pet. Maddy is too cute for her own good.

I have such nice neighbors, three families helped me look for Dolly. One of them that live on the street behind my home stopped by this morning to learn if Dolly had been found. The father is disabled and rides an electric scooter with his young son in his lap and he was going to set out again in search of Dolly. He also works at Home Depot and rides around the huge store assisting customers. Home Depot has a good reputation for hiring the handicapped. I so lucky to have such good neighbors.

Osso Buco, when my children were growing up, one of the five dogs we had was an Irish Setter. He was a gift from a friend of my son and the dog was show dog quality. We named him Baron and he was gorgeous---but a typical Irish Setter tramp. We were always looking for him if he got out of the yard as he would travel great distances, but we always managed to get reunited. One day, when he was about 1-1/2 years old, my family was visiting me in the hospital and when they returned home, Baron was missing. Someone had obviously opened the locked rear yard gate and taken him. He was a valuable dog and we never found him.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:48 am
Oh, that's terrible, bbb...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:55 am
So glad there's a happy ending here, BBB. Worrisome about that family. At least you'd know where to look first if it happens again...? :-?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:38 am
BBB I'm glad that Dolly is back and sorry to hear about your Irish Setter. I have a friend who has an AKC registered Cocker Spaniel and when she was a puppy someone tried to steal her off her leash!!! in a public park!!!. It was a grab the dog and jump in the waiting car modus. Fortunately they fumbled the latch and gave up and fled. There are small electronic tags that can be inserted under a shoulder mussel that can help recover pets so marked. Vets, at least in Connecticut now check for such tags when a dog (particularly desirable breeds) are brought to them.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:45 am
Acquinunnk
Acquiunk wrote:
BBB I'm glad that Dolly is back and sorry to hear about your Irish Setter. I have a friend who has an AKC registered Cocker Spaniel and when she was a puppy someone tried to steal her off her leash!!! in a public park!!!. It was a grab the dog and jump in the waiting car modus. Fortunately they fumbled the latch and gave up and fled. There are small electronic tags that can be inserted under a shoulder mussel that can help recover pets so marked. Vets, at least in Connecticut now check for such tags when a dog (particularly desirable breeds) are brought to them.

Both of my dogs have the implanted microchip. But if someone doesn't call the national identification service it won't do any good. If someone contacted my vet, they also would be able to identify the owner from the microchip.

BBB
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:00 am
Electric fences dont work either. We had Ernie and Stash trained to an electric fence. They were ok with us, but Ernie learned that, if you sit just close enough to the cable and the sounder goes off but not the zapper, he could drain the batteries of the unit within a few minutes. Then he just saunter past the fence. Then Stash caught on and within a few weeks, we had a useless POS fence that couldnt outsmart a chicken.

Id keep my eye out for those people and get a RFID reader from your vet supply. Maybe next time they wont want to return your doggie.

Good news though, maybe you need some perm screens
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:13 am
Thanks Farmerman
farmerman wrote:
Electric fences dont work either. We had Ernie and Stash trained to an electric fence. They were ok with us, but Ernie learned that, if you sit just close enough to the cable and the sounder goes off but not the zapper, he could drain the batteries of the unit within a few minutes. Then he just saunter past the fence. Then Stash caught on and within a few weeks, we had a useless POS fence that couldnt outsmart a chicken.

Id keep my eye out for those people and get a RFID reader from your vet supply. Maybe next time they wont want to return your doggie.

Good news though, maybe you need some perm screens

----------------------------------------

U.S. user groups favour reader-based standard: Why is a reader-based standard preferable for companion animals?

There are a number of factors which are driving the push to reader-based standards in a number of countries.

User Demand. User groups in the United States have been requesting a multi-system reader for a number of years, in order to assure full coverage of all microchipped animals, irrespective of the source of the transponder. User groups had stated in surveys conducted by AIM (the Automatic ID Manufacturers' association) that their main objective in standardisation was a multi-system reader capable of reading all transponders in the U.S. market. A main objective was protection of the installed base of companion animals.

Backward compatibility. Only a reader-based standard ensures backward compatibility for all animals already microchipped, whereas a transponder-based standard introduces an entirely new and incompatible transponder into the market. A reader-based standard ensures 100% coverage for all participating systems. Trovan, Ltd. has recognised and supported the requirements of veterinaries and animal shelters for a multi-system reader.

Accordingly, Trovan, Ltd. went on record as early as 1992 with its offer to cross-license its reader interface to qualified and interested manufacturers for $1. In February, Trovan's U.S. distributors EID, Ltd. and Infopet Identification Systems have achieved an agreement with Avid for cross-licensing of reader interfaces, which will make available a multi-system reader capable of reading Trovan, Avid and Destron microchips.

Multiple sources of product. The multi-system reader supports a number of manufacturer's product lines, allowing users to select the system which best suits their requirements while choosing from a range of vendors.
Technological evolution is supported. New innovations in transponder and/or reader technology are accommodated, because readers need only be equipped with the new read protocol, if needed.

Data integrity is assured. In a reader-based standard, individual numbering schemes cannot be compromised, since each manufacturer continues to manufacture their own transponders and control their own numbering scheme to ensure unique ID numbers. A reader-based standard precludes fraudulent duplication of code numbers and overlapping number series provided by different manufacturers.

Does not require costly, bureaucratic, nationalised administration and distribution schemes by individual countries.

User response has been overwhelmingly positive to the announcement by InfoPet Identification Systems, EID Ltd. and AVID regarding the agreement to provide multi-system readers to shelters.

Mr. Ed Sayres, Director of Animal Protection Division, American Humane Association:

"We applaud the U.S. manufacturers of microchip technology and their collaborative efforts. Through their generous offer to provide universal scanners to all animal shelters, a monumental step has been achieved for returning lost animals to their owners."

Mr. Coy Willis, President of the National Animal Control Association:

"The National Animal Control Association and animal shelters across the nation are very excited about the agreement for common readers between the microchip companies., We will be happy to be able to recommend a technology that will greatly enhance animal identification."

Mr. Sherbyn W. Ostrich, V.M.D., President of the American Veterinary Medical Association:

"The American Veterinary Medical Association is extremely pleased that the North American manufacturers of identification chips have agreed to have a universal scanner that will be distributed to animal shelters across North America. With this technology now being uniform, the benefits to the animal owners will be enhanced, and the likelihood of finding a stray or stolen animal will be very much increased. The American Veterinary Medical Association applauds the manufacturers for their spirit of cooperation in order to benefit animals, and stands ready to help in any way possible."

The implementation of multi-system readers in animal shelters will create a standard which will serve the needs of the veterinary profession and which is in keeping with its professional standards and its interests. The reader-based standard precludes duplication of code numbers, protects the installed base of microchipped companion animals, while allowing users access to multiple suppliers who compete solely on the merits of their products. A reader-based standard is the preferred solution, favoured over a transponder- based standard, for markets where integrity of ID codes is essential (companion animal ID, identification of endangered species etc.), and where compatibility with an installed base is desirable.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:48 pm
I've just discovered this thread, BBB, & have read it right through. I'm so pleased for you that she's been found! Very Happy And it sounds like you have some very kind & supportive neighbours, too!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 12:23 am
msolga
msolga wrote:
I've just discovered this thread, BBB, & have read it right through. I'm so pleased for you that she's been found! Very Happy And it sounds like you have some very kind & supportive neighbours, too!

I really lucked out when I bought a house in this neighborhood. My neighbors on my street are wonderful. I even have made friends with three other families on two different streets than mine. They all went looking for Dolly. I can always call on them if I need help of any kind.

Then there is Dys and Diane less than a mile away, too. In addition, Asherman and Natalie and Gretchen and Norm on the East side of the river are not far away. Soon Osso Buco will moving to Albuquerque, too.

I've been able to make a new life and circle of friends since moving from California 2-1/2 years ago to ABQ, where I didn't know anyone except Asherman, whom I knew over the Internet.

My two dogs, Dolly and Madison, Dys and Diane's Sally, and Osso Buco's Pacco will make up the mutt circle. I almost forgot Dys and Diane's parrot, Fred.

Life is good.

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 12:43 am
Yep, it does sound good, BBB! Good for you!
But I'd keep quiet about it, though. You'll soon have half of A2K wanting to move to Albuquerque! Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
msolga
msolga wrote:
Yep, it does sound good, BBB! Good for you!
But I'd keep quiet about it, though. You'll soon have half of A2K wanting to move to Albuquerque! Laughing

Everyone is welcome in Albuquerque; you just have to bring your own water.

I'm waiting for the day that Farmerman moves back to New Mexico.

Dys and Diane and I have guest rooms ready for anyone who wants to check out Duke City. We even have a bed and breakfast services for dogs, too.

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:16 am
If only! Very Happy
0 Replies