Does time exist?

Terry

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:46 am
Yes, time exists, independently of the human race. It has existed since the big bang, it existed for the dinosaurs, it will continue to exist long after the human race has evolved into another species or gone extinct.

Vibration of atoms, frequency of light, and orbits of planets could not occur without the existence of time. Change is not possible without time, time cannot be measured without change.

We feel that time flows, but it may be that we are moving at a steady velocity through time just as we move through space. We can only perceive the present moment just as we can only touch our immediate surroundings in space. We remember other locations in time and space that we have visited and imagine points that we have not yet reached. There may be a kind of temporal inertia that keeps us from changing direction in time, although it certainly seems to go faster as I get older.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:00 am
I think time exists as much as anything else exists.

The thing about time is: No one really knows what it is.

What is time? Oh I know it exists.

But tell me what time is.

Tell me that.

Look it up in the dictionary. We've had a long thread on this before.

The friggin dictionary can't really define time. Just some warped gibberish on "how long it takes for something to move" or some such.

We don't know what time is.

We're fish, and time is part of the water, the river of water that we're in--getting swept downstream. And they ain't nuthin we can do about that.

I like what my friend said: "I feel like I'm in this huge strong river, the current of time is strong, too strong, and I'm getting swept downstream. I can move a little to the left or the right in the river, but still I'm getting swept downstream."

Hopefully there is something good downstream.

What is Time? Can you hold it? Feel it? See it? What does it weigh?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:00 am
I think time exists as much as anything else exists.

The thing about time is: No one really knows what it is.

What is time? Oh I know it exists.

But tell me what time is.

Tell me that.

Look it up in the dictionary. We've had a long thread on this before.

The friggin dictionary can't really define time. Just some warped gibberish on "how long it takes for something to move" or some such.

We don't know what time is.

We're fish, and time is part of the water, the river of water that we're in--getting swept downstream. And they ain't nuthin we can do about that.

I like what my friend said: "I feel like I'm in this huge strong river, the current of time is strong, too strong, and I'm getting swept downstream. I can move a little to the left or the right in the river, but still I'm getting swept downstream."

Hopefully there is something good downstream.

What is Time? Can you hold it? Feel it? See it? What does it weigh?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:03 am
of course time exists. We define it as existing. And its direction is marked by entropy. But no time to go into this now
0 Replies

Priamus

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
Yes. Time is related to entropy or at least it´s a good indicator. Disorder is neccessary to order the system; time it´s the best allied.
0 Replies