Clones, and Embryo development in microgravity

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:18 pm
Recently I read that cloned kittens had been raised which did not resemble their "clone mothers" (different fur patterns). I was wondering why this was so, when a friend of mine reminded me that all embryonic cell division starts with genetically "identical" cells. First one cell, then two, then four, then eight and so on. Each cell genetically identical, yet at some point in the process, specialization occurs within the supposedly *identical* cells, and a complex organism forms. Without this specialization of cells no organism would ever be more than a pile of identical cells dividing endlessly.

This being the case, even perfectly clonded organisms could be expected to exhibit large phenotypical differences due to environmental conditions (and other factors) surrounding the embryo.

Putting aside the question of clones for a second, I started wondering how the "supposedly identical" cells could ever began to specialize. After all, they *are* identical, right? I already know that certain genes are switched on/off by chemical activity and association with other cells around them, but that still doesn't answer the question of how dividing cells *first* begin to specialize and in what order.

I'm guessing that gravity would be a primary candidate for controlled differentiation from a "standing start" so to speak, so I looked up a couple of links on the web...

http://asgsb.indstate.edu/programs/2000/59.html

http://asgsb.indstate.edu/programs/1998/92.html

Both links seem to indicate (though not conclusively) that gravity plays a necessary role in cell division leading to specialization and embryonic development.

Just something to wonder about...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,212 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 04:18 pm
rosborne,

Speaking of cloning, what happened to the Raelians?
Have their cloning techniques been duely noted in the same archives alongside that of "Cold Fusion"?

Here are a couple of links discussing the "stem cells" that play an essential role in cloning:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/packages/stemcells/

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/october18/stem_cells-101800.html

The former is a little more informative but it seems that researchers are just as much in the dark about what causes this differentiation in the very young embryonic cells, as are we. Inherently it does seem that some sort of chemical or physical phenomena might trigger this development of specialized cells.
There might be an elegant explanation but more likely it is something like the Kreb's cycle for cellular energy production.

I did come across an interesting article in this April's Scientific American: page 30 entitled "Ma's Eyes, Not Her Ways" about cloning. The following is a web site that relates some of the article if you are interested:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?colID=5&articleID=000DE213-6B0F-1E61-A98A809EC5880105

The article mentions epigenetics which is poorly understood for now but that deals with the differing phenotypes resulting from exposure to different environments and the turning on or off of some genes, as you mentioned in your post, for various reasons. I have been trying to get more info on epigenetics the last week or so but have achieved less than satisfactory results. If you come across anything I'd appreciate any info.

This article does mention the reason for differing fur coloration in cloned cats (especially calico). It seems "...- a calico's spots result from the random migration of pigment-carrying cells during development."

A side bar next to the article informs us that "Dolly" the cloned sheep only lived to half the normal life span of a "normal" sheep.
She had to be euthanized because of an infection that is common in cloned animals. She also suffered from chronic arthritis, another "seemingly common affliction of clones."

Hmmmm.. It's never simple is it?

I personally feel therapeutic cloning of needed organs has much more promise at this point then going for a whole individual. That, of course, is another ball of wax. (Michael Shermer expounds on the ethics of cloning humans in his "Skeptic" column in this same issue page 38. His view in a nutshell: its no big deal.

JM

P.S. If micro-gravity has an effect on this embryonic development, how does this affect some mammals that are able to counter the effects of gravity such as whales?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 07:24 pm
Whales and gravity
Hi JM,

Whales can achieve neutral buoyancy in water, but they can not counter the effects of gravity. Even when a whale or fish has achieved neutral buoyancy, its tissues, and internal environment still feel the effects of gravity. Likewise, an embryo developing in its reproductive system would feel the effects as well.

Nothing which exists within a gravitational field can counter the effect of that field. If we even had an inkling of how to do something like this, we would have access to the greatest scientific knowledge ever achieved on this planet.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:12 am
Good hypothesis should be tested through delicate experiments.

BTW, multiple phenotypes appear for a genotype, then it leads to the fact that the selective pressure to a genotype must be diluted to some extent.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:31 pm
We can change the direction of the gravity field by changing the position of our body. Gymnastics and carnvil rides make rapid changes as far as our tissues are concerned. In the ISS = international space station or the orbiting space station, the effects of gravity are counterd effectively, except for brief spikes of inertia type gravity experiened when we accellerate our bodies with respect to the space station. I don't think our tissues can detect the gyroscopic or corolis effect unless the station is rotated to produce artificial gravity. As far as I can recall this has been tested only once when Mir tumbled out of control.

My guess is cloning brilliant people will result in a small increase in average intellegence, with rather rare side effects. In my opinion, genes are only 1/3 of the result; enviornment 1/3 and pre-existance of our spirit the other 1/3 as taught by the Mormons = The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter- day Saints. Neil
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:10 am
Here is an animation of the x-inactivation process that produces the mosaic coat color in calico cats:

Demonstration of X-Inactivation

Gravity is one of the factors that can initiate the cell specialization process:

Quote:
Polarity is central to the development of animals and plants both in their evolution and for the production of individual complexity. This paper will focus particularly on the generation and modification of polarity at the level of individual cells. Polarity at this level is at the core of the development of complex multicellular organisms, since the division of a polar cell generates non-equivalent daughter cells, allowing subsequent differential development. ...

The development of a polar axis often requires an input provided by a biological signal or by the physical environment, particularly a light gradient or gravity stimulus. In many animal systems, including the nematode, Caenorhabditis elegans, and amphibia such as Rana, the point of sperm entry into the egg provides the stimulus that breaks symmetry. The point of sperm entry is also the default stimulus for setting up the polar axis in the developing zygote of the fucoid alga, Pelvetia compressa (Kropf et al., 1999), although, if the zygote develops in a light gradient, the axis may be re-specified with a different alignment. It appears that the sperm entry point is in many systems random, so a chance biological signal is responsible for the initiation of the programme leading to the establishment of the polar axis.
Cell polarity
0 Replies