Answer songs?

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 08:54 pm
These were pretty common in early pop music, less so now. Songs that were responses to earlier songs.

The classic example, from what I have read, is Hank Ballard and The Midnighter's 'Work With Me Annie'

And as Wikipedia says:

Quote:
"Work with Me, Annie" is a 12-bar blues song with words and music by Hank Ballard. It was recorded by Hank Ballard & the Midnighters (formerly The Royals) in Cincinnati on the Federal Records label on January 14, 1954, and released the following month. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) immediately opposed it due to its overtly sexual lyrics, lyrics that had crossed over and were now being listened to by a white teenage audience. Because the record was in such demand and received so much publicity, attempts to restrict it failed and the record shot to number one on the R&B charts and remained there for seven weeks.[1]

This was the first of the "Annie" records and sold a million copies; so did the answer songs "Annie Had a Baby" and "Annie's Aunt Fannie." They all were banned for radio play by the FCC. The success of these recordings spurred the practice of recording double entendre records and answer songs. Another answer, "The Wallflower", by Etta James, popularly known as "Roll with Me, Henry", was reworded by Georgia Gibbs as "Dance with Me, Henry" for Top 40 consumption. It had the same melody as "Work with Me, Annie". The melody was recycled again by the Midnighters for the song "Henry's Got Flat Feet (Can't Dance No More)".

Got any more?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 923 • Replies: 11

hingehead

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 08:57 pm
This question was triggered by hearing Ronnie Milsap's "(I'm a) Stand By Your Woman Man" an obvious reply to Tammy Wynnette's "Stand By Your Man"

The other one that has long stuck in my head is "Dawn Of Correction" by The Spokesman which tried, unsuccessfully IMHO, to reverse the pessimism of Barry Maguire's "Eve Of Destruction"

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 08:59 pm
And Buddy Holly answered his own 'Peggy Sue' with 'Peggy Sue Got Married'

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:01 pm
The most recent one that springs to mind is Bowie answering his 1969 'Space Oddity' with 1980's 'Ashes To Ashes'

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 07:25 am
@hingehead,
Neil Young sang:
And then Lynyrd Skynyrd countered with:
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 08:02 am
Hawkwind reference a ton of their early stuff with this.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 08:42 am
How about Glass Onion?

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 09:38 am
This isn't a song, but it's the best response to Alanis Morissette's Ironic I've ever heard.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 09:52 am

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:50 am
mark
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:59 pm

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 01:24 pm
Steve Miller does this all the time.

The Joker:
Refers to the Space Cowboy:
(which in turn refers to Living in the USA):
The Gangster of Love (Space Cowboy also refers to this one):
Maurice (the song is actually called Enter Maurice):
(which refers to the Pompatus of Love, as does The Joker -- but I don't think there's a Pompatus of Love song)
0 Replies