Pinochet and Allende

Athos

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 10:59 am
I wonder...What do people especially outside of South America know about the period of the dictatorship? What do they think about what he did, his reasons, the consequences, etc?

I've heard that some people think of him as something similar to Hitler or something like that. You would be surprised to know how many chileans are pinochetistas. Probably about 90% of right wing people (roughly 40% of the population) must think that the dictatorship was good for the country (not that they approve about the tortures of excesses of the military forces).

On the other hand they tend to idealize Allende, but what do they really know of his government? Personally (and many share this opinion) I think that he was an asshole and his period was the worst ever in our history.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,962 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Xavier

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 01:22 pm
Re: Pinochet and Allende
Athos wrote:
I wonder...What do people especially outside of South America know about the period of the dictatorship? What do they think about what he did, his reasons, the consequences, etc?

I've heard that some people think of him as something similar to Hitler or something like that. You would be surprised to know how many chileans are pinochetistas. Probably about 90% of right wing people (roughly 40% of the population) must think that the dictatorship was good for the country (not that they approve about the tortures of excesses of the military forces).

On the other hand they tend to idealize Allende, but what do they really know of his government? Personally (and many share this opinion) I think that he was an **** and his period was the worst ever in our history.

I lived in Chile at the time of Allende and also at the time of Pinochet. Allende was a dictator and it was a horrible period in the history of that country. Pincohet was a good president and boosted the economy, gave houses to the poor and modernized Chile.
Pinochet is liked by about 35% of the population, you figure out why.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:20 pm
Theres some people on this board who lived in Chile ...

For example Kuvasz:

Quote:
Well, you see that is just the point. I spent my time in Chile in the 90's and early 2000 working in Chilean textile mills where I engaged not with the "middle class & more" as you euphemistically call the uber rich and and did not find a single person who had a single positive word to say about Pinochet. In fact, many had had friends and family "disappeared' under Pinochet's regime.

But also Georgeob1:

Quote:
Steve,

Have you ever been to Chile? Do you know much about its history? I have spent several years there and evidently have a very different view than you. Pinochet led a military intervention that rescued Chile from an incipient revolution and civil war. He ruled for a period of transition and handed over power on the date he promised, leaving the strongest and fastest growing economy in South America.

And Fbaezer had some second-hand knowledge:

Quote:
Georgeob1, we disagree deeply on this one.
Kuvasz was right on the spot. [..]

I once taught to a Chilean student who lost both arms by torture.
I met a Chilean Catholic nurse who had spiders introduced in her vagina, just for fun.
Was their suffering, along with those of hundred of thousands -and the death of 3 thousand of their nationals- necessary?
0 Replies

rkt10

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:59 pm
I recommend reading stuff by the Chilean author, Isabel Allende who is the niece of Salvador Allende. She writes mostly fiction. One of her books is called The House of the Spirits which covers multiple generations, and ends toward the end at the time of the Allende presidency and the Pinochet coup.

Essentially Allende was a Marxist voted in by the general populace eager to pull out of poverty since the ruling classes were unwilling to change the status quo.

The wealthy pulled their money and possessions out of the country and the poor continued to suffer. Pinochet offered "the right" a way of removing the left from power, so they supported him... but after the coup he extended the dictatorship for many years thereafter.

If you will remember, during the time of Pinochet was the time of "the disappeareds". People were taken from their homes and never seen again. Mostly men... but anyone objectionable to the military: for questioning their authority, for objecting to any little thing, even those perceived to be a potential threat. Gone!

The mothers of the disappeards began a silent protest in Santiago where they would march silently in a square each week in testament to the lack of information that was provided them. It is said that over 3000 dissidents were abducted and killed. Another 30,000 were tortured. The musician "Sting" wrote and recorded a song to the disappeards. It was very popular at the time.

But others liked Pinochet because he brought economic stability back.
Rita
0 Replies