Drug confirmation test distinguishing poppy seeds from morphine

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:19 am

Please someone with knowledge on laboratory urine testing. I need to know how poppy seeds are distinguished from morphine on a urine drug confirmation test? It's a pretty simple question I think yet I have be unable to find an answer that says on a confirmation test morphine will show up as this and poppy seeds will show up as that I mean theirs got to be something that determines one or the other and I can't believe I can't find this definite answer online anywhere I have googled for a week and found nothing!
All I keep finding is that it can and will cause a positive u.a test which I already know that and all this and that about cutoff levels but absolutely no definite answer. Can't find anything stating they have different metabolites or alkaloids that determine the difference on a GM/MS Confirmation test or any other type of definite test?? How do labs make this distinction? Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,339 • Replies: 7
No top replies

hightor

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:38 am
Quote:
USADA cannot predict the amount of poppy seeds you can eat and remain below the testing threshold set by WADA. **In most cases, consumption of poppy seeds in foods will not cause a positive doping test.

However, it may be possible to exceed the morphine threshold by eating foods with poppy seeds and USADA can’t predict how long morphine or morphine metabolites from poppy seeds will stay in your system. The most conservative approach would be to avoid poppy seeds a few days before and during competitions.

usada

Yes, you can fail a drug test by eating a poppy seed bagel, as a Maryland mother learned

It looks as if it depends on the allowable threshold for opium-derived products and the safest recommendation would be to abstain from poppy seeds if you expect to be tested.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:52 am
@hightor,
You can be sent to prison for bringing poppy seed products into the UAE.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
You could be jailed for a poppy seed bagel?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 01:49 pm
@nmiller029834,
I don't like poppy seeds. Never did.

They can easily be replaced by the tiny bit eggs of various insects too. Is there even an agency out there which guarantees purity?

Now sesame seeds, those were a delightful tasty treat for years...Then my diverticula got cranky which made them off limits...unless they're ground up.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 02:02 pm
@RABEL222,
Oh yes. Some of these places have some pretty weird laws. You need to check stuff like that out before you visit.
0 Replies

nmiller029834

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:46 pm
I appreciate the responses however still yet to receive my answer as I stated before I know they do cause a positive result on a urine immunoassay test. But when this is sent off for a confirmation test I have read and been told that poppy seeds can be distinguished from morphine and I want to know how?? How do they determine the difference on a confirmation test?? What factors play out what metabolites does one have that the other doesn't? How do they confirm positive for morphine rather than from a positive for poppy seeds?? This has been so frustrating that I can't find the answer every other drug has an answer like on a confirmation test for herion they confirm using 6-MAM? WHY CAN'T I FIND AN ANSWER FOR POPPY SEEDS?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 03:54 pm
Simply goggle: are poppy seeds the same as morphine.
0 Replies