Which TV ads do you find confusing?

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:04 pm
The McCormick Spice Company has been running a commercial that totally confuses me. In the ad you see some one picking up a bottle of vanilla extract and then stirring it into what appears to be a bowl of Mashed potatoes. They also show a ton of other spices being sprinkled on different food items.......but vanilla in mashed potatoes???? Maybe that's standard but I've never seen it done that way.....milk/cream, butter, a little salt and pepper and potatoes is all I've ever used. Maybe it's actually something other than mashed potatoes?? I'm stymied. Has anyone here ever used vanilla in mashed potatoes?

View best answer, chosen by glitterbag
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Are you sure it's not some kind of porridge and NOT mashed potatoes?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,

there's a recipe in my family that calls for marshmallows to be added to mashed yams...

#iKidYouNot
glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, I'm not sure.....but it's all whipped up with peaks and swirls...looks like mashed potatoes...Plus it's a whole tablespoon of vanilla, that's a lot of vanilla. I tried searching the McCormick's site, but no luck as yet. I have jazzed up sweet potatoes with vanilla but that's because I hate sweet potatoes. I also toss in butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon until I can't taste the sweet potatoes.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
I've seen some of those recipes but since I don't like marshmallows or mashed yams, I've never tried it. Some people love it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:34 pm
Maybe it's whipped cream.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:37 pm
I get annoyed by TV ads that say, but wait!!! Now you can have two. Just pay a seperate fee. They proceed to tell you at the end you get two all for the original fee without mentioning the separate charge.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Maybe it's whipped cream.

I was thinking that, or frosting.
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:47 pm
@chai2,
Apparantly vanilla in mashed potatoes is a thing.

There are a number of recipes for it on google.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 03:42 pm
@chai2,

it enhances the flavor somehow without sweetening it...
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 03:47 pm
Cancer treatment medicines that kill you faster than the cancer does. Why take unnecessary risks?
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:14 pm
@neptuneblue,
Can you please be more specific as to what medication(s), and where you saw a TV ad for this?
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:22 pm
@chai2,
https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a606018.html

The side effects are the same as overdosing. So you'll never really know if the medicine is doing it's job or killing you.

It's advertised late night. Can't remember the channel though.
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:47 pm
@neptuneblue,
Yeah.
The side effects of any drug or other treatment for cancer, in this case leukemia, aren't fun.

Each individual reacts differently to various cancer treatments.

Unfortunatley, I believe science has not yet found a drug that attacks only the cancer cells, although I think there has been advancements. Research continues.

From just a quick look, it seems the patient survival rate on Imatbib (aka Gleevec) after 30 months is an astounding (to me at least) 91% plus. The 5 year survival rate is high also. I think around 85%

Those with untreated acute myelogenous leukemia only live for months without treatment.

Hope that helps with any confusion.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:48 pm
Back to confusing TV ads.

Some I can't even figure out what the product or service is they are selling.

So....I can't even describe them.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 05:05 pm
@neptuneblue,
Some truly bizarro ads come on in the wee hours. I remember one with Lee Majors sitting in a wing back chair asking "Remember Me, I was the bionic man" and he continues with this pitch for the Bionic Ear, in other words...A Hearing Aid"....all in all I guess it was a little clever, but it made me laugh and everybody else was asleep so I couldn't yell "Look at that".
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 07:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Commercials are a huge part of the reason I dumped TV, cable and just pay $14.99 for 2 NF screens. One here, the other my friend uses in Mex.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 08:50 pm
@chai2,
I know a few that's irritating.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDphMTn8I0
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 11:22 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Some truly bizarro ads come on in the wee hours. I remember one with Lee Majors sitting in a wing back chair asking "Remember Me, I was the bionic man" and he continues with this pitch for the Bionic Ear, in other words...A Hearing Aid"....all in all I guess it was a little clever, but it made me laugh and everybody else was asleep so I couldn't yell "Look at that".

I remember this ad on late night TV. It says 2007, but I think it has to be way before that.

The creep factor with both those guys giving the "head nod" to come over to the ladies always got me.

Nothing says "I'm a vaguely unattractive guy and want to hook up with a stereotype of a sex crazed, inappropriately younger (but not really younger) woman" like Maxoderm.

glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 11:50 pm
@chai2,
Yes, yes, all the old jocks crowing about how wonderful the male enhancement supplements are and how all the little ladies are so happy...and they are peddling this fairy dust to other old farts because they don't care what happens to the other old farts.

Do you remember the ads for the cream that was supposed to make your breasts larger??? They weren't on TV, mostly ads in the back of the sleazy mags you could find in beauty shops back in the early 60's.