Gun control

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:39 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Wrong again.

Nope. You can't point out anything that I'm wrong about.

hightor wrote:
People who use semi-auto weapons can fire more rounds at a faster pace and can reload faster with magazines than people with bolt action, lever action, pumps, and single shot weapons.

Bolt action and single shot weapons are not suitable for self defense.

Lever action and pump weapons produce aimed fire at a rate similar enough to a semi-auto that there is little practical difference.

Having a semi-auto action does not increase the speed at which magazines can be loaded into a gun.

hightor wrote:
You don't even know what you're talking about

Your inability to point out anything that I'm wrong about speaks for itself.

hightor wrote:
that's what makes you so special!

You engage in childish name-calling because you are not capable of saying anything intelligent.
hightor

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:59 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Bolt action and single shot weapons are not suitable for self defense.

You're just speaking in generalities. What's "suitable" for self defense depends entirely on the particular real life conditions in any situation.
Quote:
Lever action and pump weapons produce aimed fire at a rate similar enough to a semi-auto that there is little practical difference.

You're just showing your ignorance here. After I've expended the 10 rounds in a lever action rifle it will take me a significant amount of time to reload whereas someone with a semi-auto and spare loaded magazines simply ejects the empty and loads in the new one.
Quote:
Having a semi-auto action does not increase the speed at which magazines can be loaded into a gun.

You haven't said anything in the empty statement. It takes a lot less time to swap a full magazine for an empty than it does to manually load individual cartridges.
Quote:
You engage in childish name-calling because you are not capable of saying anything intelligent.

Sorry, but I didn't call you any "names". Your posting behavior brands you as "special", that's all.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:14 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
You're just speaking in generalities. What's "suitable" for self defense depends entirely on the particular real life conditions in any situation.

Bolt action and single action guns are not suitable for self defense.

hightor wrote:
You're just showing your ignorance here. After I've expended the 10 rounds in a lever action rifle it will take me a significant amount of time to reload whereas someone with a semi-auto and spare loaded magazines simply ejects the empty and loads in the new one.

Nope. The only person here who is showing ignorance is you. Having a lever action says nothing about how fast a gun can be reloaded.

A lever gun with a tubular magazine may be slow to reload, but that is because of the tubular magazine, not because of the lever action.

A semi-auto gun with a tubular magazine is also slow to reload.

A lever action gun that accepts detachable box magazines is not slow to reload.

Reloading speed is entirely unrelated to the type of action that a gun has.

hightor wrote:
You haven't said anything in the empty statement.

That is incorrect. I countered your incorrect claim that having a semi-auto action allows people to reload faster.

hightor wrote:
It takes a lot less time to swap a full magazine for an empty than it does to manually load individual cartridges.

True, but that has nothing to do with having a semi-auto action, as you erroneously claimed.

hightor wrote:
Sorry, but I didn't call you any "names".

Yes you did. You do so because you are incapable of saying anything intelligent.

hightor wrote:
Your posting behavior brands you as "special", that's all.

More name-calling to compensate for your inability to say anything intelligent.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:27 am
@oralloy,
A 45-70 lever action outfitted with a box clip would look like a fuckin canal boat. You write like you want to b known as the "gun guy" but have you ever fired a weapon?? Browning was the only lever action box clipper Id ever seen and even that looked wide as a side of a billboard.
hightor

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:34 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Bolt action and single action guns are not suitable for self defense.

They could be, in any number of cases. Just the sound of someone chambering a round in a 12 gauge pump shotgun on the other side of a closed door is enough to cause a potential intruder to reconsider their intentions.
Quote:
Reloading speed is entirely unrelated to the type of action that a gun has.

Obviously I'm comparing firearms which require cartridges to be loaded individually with ones that have detachable magazines — which would have been obvious to anyone else but you.
Quote:
More name-calling to compensate for your inability to say anything intelligent.

Look, you're someone who consistently brags about how high his IQ is, how he's never wrong, and how nobody can can point out any errors in his thinking — that makes you special. If you don't want to be seen that way you should stop trying to portray yourself as special.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:43 am
@hightor,
Id rather have a shotgun in place of any other weapon when it comes to self defense. I have a 12 gage Ithaca pump sawed off with a "wormed" barrel tip for my house main defense). Better than any pistol because the intruder doesnt know my house like I. Chances are he will become his own collateral damage from ricochet off the stone walls. Even up, Id take a cylinder 45 with a coupla speed loaders. A cylinder wont jam, unless you have some 1867 POS . A 1911 45 ACP aint bad but it too can jam.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:14 am
@farmerman,
What do you do against intruders wearing Kevlar?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:15 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You write like you want to b known as the "gun guy"

Why, because I post actual facts?

farmerman wrote:
have you ever fired a weapon??

How is that anybody's business but my own?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:17 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
They could be, in any number of cases.

Bolt action and single-shot guns are not suitable for self defense.

hightor wrote:
Just the sound of someone chambering a round in a 12 gauge pump shotgun on the other side of a closed door is enough to cause a potential intruder to reconsider their intentions.

A pump action gun is not a bolt action or a single-shot weapon.

hightor wrote:
Obviously I'm comparing firearms which require cartridges to be loaded individually with ones that have detachable magazines -- which would have been obvious to anyone else but you.

If you intended to say something other than what you actually said, that does not change the fact that what you actually said is wrong.

It also does not change the reality that everything that I said is completely correct.

hightor wrote:
Look, you're someone who consistently brags about how high his IQ is,

Wrong. I only address the issue to set the record straight when someone falsely accuses me as part of a personal attack.

Maybe you are content to have people say untrue things about you, but I am not.

hightor wrote:
how he's never wrong,

Also wrong. I have always acknowledged that I make occasional errors.

hightor wrote:
and how nobody can can point out any errors in his thinking

When someone dishonorably claims that I am wrong without ever pointing out anything that I am wrong about, I am well within my rights to point out that they have never pointed out any such errors.

hightor wrote:
that makes you special.

Being correct does not make me special. It merely makes me correct.

If you can't handle other people being correct about something, that is childish and immature, and you should strive to do better.

hightor wrote:
If you don't want to be seen that way you should stop trying to portray yourself as special.

"Stating that I am correct when I actually am correct" is not portraying myself as special.

"Standing my ground when I am actually correct on something" does not justify your childish name-calling in any way.
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:19 am
@farmerman,
Do .45 calibers with speed-loaders allow you the same firing rate as a semiautomatic?
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:29 am
@Glennn,
of course not, but it only takes one.If the auto clogs on ya, you are fucked. A revolver wont jam, period.

When Im in the woods on sole jobs in the gas fields, Ive always used a SIg 45 auto. Until I got a nice revolver with an 8" barrel and a belt box of two speedloaders. Bears fear me now.
hightor

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
A pump action gun is not a bolt action or a single-shot weapon.

I didn't claim that it was. I provided an example of how a firearm can be useful in a self-defense type situation without even being fired. Drawing back a bolt or opening a lever and chambering a round could have the same effect.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:34 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Drawing back a bolt or opening a lever and chambering a round could have the same effect.

But if you have to actually fire the gun at an intruder or two, the bolt gun then becomes a severe liability.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:34 am
@farmerman,
I assume you're not an advocate of the suggestion made by others here that all semiautomatic guns should be bought back and melted down. Or am I wrong about that?
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 01:56 pm
@Glennn,
wrongedy wrong . I dont see a place for para military weapons as being defined as "not being infringed". If we can define tommy guns and sawed offs, we can, similarly include bazookas and AR 15's and any other big mag, rapid fire pistols or long guns. (Unless theres a specific reason for ownership. Maybe we adopt a Swiss rule. Guns are held in private hands, AMMO is not.
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 02:44 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
AR 15's and any other big mag, rapid fire pistols or long guns.

So you do support a ban on all semiautomatic guns. You agree that they should all be taken away from their owners and melted down.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 03:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I dont see a place for para military weapons as being defined as "not being infringed".

How would you define a paramilitary weapon?

farmerman wrote:
If we can define tommy guns and sawed offs, we can, similarly include bazookas and AR 15's and any other big mag, rapid fire pistols or long guns. (Unless theres a specific reason for ownership.

People can produce a reason for restricting full-auto weapons.

People can produce a reason for restricting large magazines.

People can not produce a reason for restricting AR-15s.

farmerman wrote:
Maybe we adopt a Swiss rule. Guns are held in private hands, AMMO is not.

People in Switzerland are very much able to own ammunition privately.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 06:06 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
People in Switzerland are very much able to own ammunition privately
do some more erading, Im sure a smart guy like you will discover why youre flat wrong. Itll be a nice object lesson re onership by ex militry, n who keeps the ammo.
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Maybe we adopt a Swiss rule. Guns are held in private hands, AMMO is not.

I was unaware of that. Could you provide a source for that claim?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 08:23 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
You are responding in an aggressive way and deliberately mis-stating what I have said. Perhaps you don't realize how rude you are in these posts. I can't read your mind (Thank you Jesus) but I definitely think you have a chip on your shoulder.

I hope this helps clarify the assault weapon remark I made when I said "Good Luck"....If you think you can rescue the entire country with a few fully automatic weapon with huge magazines by all means stock the hell up. I seriously doubt you or any other citizen in this country is in danger of the black helicopters arriving in the middle of the night....but if (AND THEY ARE NOT) you will definitely be outgunned and unprepared.

In these times we are seeing the rise of authoritarian rule, so go ahead and get your self some hand guns..but you should even more importantly keep yourself aware of what's happening, guard against disinformation and remember, just because you hear it said by your neighbor or on FOX and friends, you better check a few other sources before you surrender your ability to think for yourself.

Don't be so quick to think you are the only one here who would protect their family.

I don't think that I "can rescue the entire country with a few fully automatic weapon [sic]." I do think that an armed populace is more difficult for a tyrannical government to oppress, should such a government develop. I also think and stated that an automatic weapon would be helpful to repel a home invasion if it were committed by several people.

Furthermore, I don't think that I am in danger of "of the black helicopters arriving in the middle of the night," but any government could become tyrannical in time.

Finally, I never thought, said, or implied that I am "the only one here who would protect their family," but I do think that such protection would be easier to achieve with access to effective weapons.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gun control
  3. » Page 5
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:25:29