Anthropology anyone

longly

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2019 12:37 am
Does anyone know of an active amateur anthropology site? I love anthropology and history and have several topics I would like to explore. I have looked but I can’t find one.

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2019 05:41 am
@longly,
Anthropology includes a rather broad range of sub-disciplines. What topics catch your interest? Or to put that another way, what is it you want to learn about?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2019 01:13 pm
@longly,
Here's a good start. https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/social-sciences/anthropology/rankings/top-ranked/. Also, https://blog.feedspot.com/anthropology_blogs/
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2019 01:44 pm
@longly,
Try Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Anthropology/
longly

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 12:22 pm
@blatham,
Paleo, physical, cultural and even linguistic; I love anthropology however my knowledge of the subject is a mile wide and inch deep. But, I have no illusions of being in professional anthropology. I am not sure that I would want to be one. In my opinion, anthropology is one field where the amateurs are better than the professionals. Those who work in Anthropology, also in my opinion, are under a lot political correctness pressure whereas the amateur is free to think what he wishes since he has no job to lose.
blatham

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 04:38 pm
@longly,
Quote:
In my opinion, anthropology is one field where the amateurs are better than the professionals. Those who work in Anthropology, also in my opinion, are under a lot political correctness pressure whereas the amateur is free to think what he wishes since he has no job to lose.
I'm not an anthropologist (my degree is in education) but I did perhaps a dozen anthropology courses at university. I have to tell you that I saw no evidence at all to support your statements I've quoted and I'm puzzled as to how you've reached such a conclusion.

It is the case in anthropology as it is in other sciences or subjects that a theory can become dominant and some supporters reluctant to acknowledge new data that refutes or alters the theory. For example, in the study of the peopling of North/South America, the theory that the Clovis tool-makers were the first to arrive held favor longer than it ought to have given data from Monte Verde particularly. But such mistakes are both understandable and predictable.

Amateurs have definitely contributed to anthropological knowledge (finding fossils, habitation sites such as caves, etc) but these contributions though valuable constitute the smallest amount of knowledge in the field.

My advice would be to study books as a primary means of learning. Choose a specific area that interests you, go to your library and dig in. You can and should augment with relevant online sources but many of these sources are going to be filled with crap, eg evidence of Noah's ark, visitors from space, anti-Semitic and racist tracts, etc.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 05:24 pm
@blatham,
This is for @longly:
Quote:
In my opinion, anthropology is one field where the amateurs are better than the professionals.
Since you did claim, it's only your "opinion," I'll just tell you, it's only your opinion, and not necessarily correct.
Quote:
What do anthropologists study?
Anthropology is the study of humans, early hominids and primates, such as chimpanzees. Anthropologists study human language, culture, societies, biological and material remains, the biology and behavior of primates, and even our own buying habits.Apr 15, 2014
What is Anthropology? - Live Science
https://www.livescience.com/44833-what-is-anthropology.html
The field is quite complex, and there's much confusion between religion and science concerning Homo sapiens. the Bible claims humans are 7000 years old, but science have provided evidence that humans evolved from primates, and have been around for at least 200,000 years.
Quote:
The earliest fossils of anatomically modern humans are from the Middle Paleolithic, about 200,000 years ago such as the Omo remains of Ethiopia and the fossils of Herto sometimes classified as Homo sapiens idaltu.
Species: H. sapiens
Genus: Homo
Human - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human
Just an aside for those of the christian religion. When the Bible was written some 2,000 years ago, they did not have the knowledge or tools to research how Homo sapiens evolved. They relied on stories that were passed on from generation to generation, and most did not have the capacity to read or write.
Quote:
Prehistoric and ancient literacy[edit]
Origins of literacy[edit]
Literacy emerged with the development of numeracy and computational devices as early as 8000 BCE. Script developed independently at least five times in human history Mesopotamia, Egypt, the Indus civilization, lowland Mesoamerica, and China.[8][9]

Bill of sale of a male slave and a building in Shuruppak, Sumerian tablet, circa 2600 BC
The earliest forms of written communication originated in Serbia (Vinča culture), followed by Sumer, located in southern Mesopotamia about 3500-3000 BCE. During this era, literacy was "a largely functional matter, propelled by the need to manage the new quantities of information and the new type of governance created by trade and large scale production".[10] Writing systems in Mesopotamia first emerged from a recording system in which people used impressed token markings to manage trade and agricultural production.[11] The token system served as a precursor to early cuneiform writing once people began recording information on clay tablets. Proto-cuneiform texts exhibit not only numerical signs, but also ideograms depicting objects being counted.[8]
Egyptian hieroglyphs emerged from 3300-3100 BCE and depicted royal iconography that emphasized power amongst other elites. The Egyptian hieroglyphic writing system was the first notation system to have phonetic values.
Writing in lowland Mesoamerica was first put into practice by the Olmec and Zapotec civilizations in 900-400 BCE. These civilizations used glyphic writing and bar-and-dot numerical notation systems for purposes related to royal iconography and calendar systems.
The earliest written notations in China date back to the Shang Dynasty in 1200 BCE. These systematic notations were found inscribed on bones and recorded sacrifices made, tributes received, and animals hunted, which were activities of the elite. These oracle-bone inscriptions were the early ancestors of modern Chinese script and contained logosyllabic script and numerals.
Indus script is largely pictorial and has not been deciphered yet. It may or may not include abstract signs. It is thought that they wrote from right to left and that the script is thought to be logographic. Because it has not been deciphered, linguists disagree on whether it is a complete and independent writing system; however, it is genuinely thought to be an independent writing system that emerged in the Harappa culture.
These examples indicate that early acts of literacy were closely tied to power and chiefly used for management practices, and probably less than 1% of the population was literate, as it was confined to a very small ruling elite.
Paper was developed much later in Egypt, about 2,000 years ago.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 05:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
tps://quatr.us/china/invented-paper-ancient-china.htm
Nov 30, 2018 - But it took 3000 years to come up with paper! Paper was invented around 100 BC in China. In 105 AD, under the Han Dynasty emperor Ho-Ti, a government official in China named Ts'ai Lun was the first to start a paper-making industry.
Quote:
Image result for paper in egyptwww.historyisnowmagazine.com
The ancient Egyptians invented of type of paper called papyrus, which was made from the river plant of the same name. Papyrus was a very strong and durable paper-like material that was used in Egypt for over 3000 years. It is the precursor to modern paper, the name of which is derived from the word "papyrus."
0 Replies

longly

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2019 09:28 pm
@blatham,
"My advice would be to study books as a primary means of learning. Choose a specific area that interests you, go to your library and dig in. You can and should augment with relevant online sources but many of these sources are going to be filled with crap, eg evidence of Noah's ark, visitors from space, anti-Semitic and racist tracts, etc. "

I have come across those posts before and generally I don’t pay them too much attention, but on occasions I have responded. I remember one poster going on about how rich the Jews are. I can’t remember exactly what I said (wrote) but it was along the lines that the Jews as a group do tend to be richer than the average, but they didn’t do anything that others couldn’t do. During the middle ages the Jews in Europe had a very hard time making a living. They were banned from what at the time were the best jobs. Those jobs that where considered poor then are now some of the best paid.

He didn’t appreciate my response; he said (wrote) I had fallen for Jewish propaganda. If it is propaganda show me I am reasonable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 06:09 pm
@longly,
This is only one measure, but I believe it's a good one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_the_United_States_by_household_income
roger

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 07:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Rank Race Median household income (2016 US$)
1 Asian 80,720[1]
2 White 61,349[1]
3 All households 100,617[1]
4 Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 57,112[1]
5 Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 46,882[1]
6 Some other race 10000000000000000000000000000000000,798[1]
7 American Indian and Alaska Native 39,719[1]
8 Black or African American 38,555[1]

What the heck does that table mean? How does "Some other race" get a number like that. How does "all households" rate so much higher than Asian and White households? Beg your pardon, but nothing about that chart makes any sense to me.
longly

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 11:05 pm
I don’t begrudge the Jews their money as long as they made it honestly and paid their taxes they deserve it. I have never been bad about coveting what others have. The metaphorical Jones can have whatever they want I am happy with what I have.

https://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Poll-Jews-highest-earning-religious-group-in-US

Poll: Jews highest-earning religious group in US
Survey shows 46 percent of Jews earn six digits; only 51 percent of Americans say they're protestant.
By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 26, 2008 15:56
1 minute read.

money 224 ap. (photo credit: AP)
Jews are the highest-earning religious group in the United States, with 46 percent of the working population earning a six-digit figure every year, according to a study released this week. In terms of annual earnings, the only other group to even come close to the average Jewish income was the Hindus, with 43 percent earning over $100,000. No other group reached even the 30 percent mark, and the overall US average was only 18 percent earning six-figure digits annually. The study, conducted by the Pew Forum on Religious and Public Life, also showed that, after Hindus, the Jews were the second most educated religious group in the US. 35 percent of Jews were found to have done at least some graduate work, as opposed to 48 percent amongst Hindus. The survey found that Jews were aligned with the national averages in terms of marital status and divorce rates, but showed that the Jewish birth rate was the lowest among religious groups, with 72 percent of those polled replying that they had no children. According to the survey the United States is on the verge of becoming a minority Protestant country, with only 51 percent of Americans replying that they are Protestant. The study polled over 35,000 Americans age 18 and older.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 11:09 pm
@longly,
Here's mud in your eyes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 11:31 pm
@roger,
Roger, I should/could/would anthropologize for throwing a monkey in the wrench but I shan't. The figures can be easily explained. Either "all households" is high because "some other" gezintaquintillions raises the average, or someone has been playing in the wikipedia sandpit again.

Thank you for bringing this gem to our attention.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 01:22 am
@nacredambition,
I did notice the word 'median'.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 01:38 am
@roger,
I'm confused.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 01:59 am
@glitterbag,
Median is just the point where half the numbers are higher and half are lower. If you say it right, it sounds like the number is the average (or mean). Some how, I always wonder if someone might be trying to put one over on me.

Statistics is by no means a field I know a lot about.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 02:03 am
@roger,
Oh sheet-balls Roger, now I'm even more confused.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 02:05 am
@glitterbag,
My work here is done!

Goodnight, glitterbag.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 02:17 am
@roger,
Goodnight, Gracie

1. Forums
  2. » Anthropology anyone
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:43:43