Suicide persuasive presentation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:13 pm
Hello all;

I'm willing to make a presentation on the PREVENTION OF SUICIDE. I'm looking for ways and techniques by which I can PERSUADE the people to stay away from suicide in my presentation.

I'm looking for strong, effective, direct, brief statements in which I can convince the listeners how suicide is not the right choice, and how life is so beautiful and it can be hopefull when a person opens a new page..etc..

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,541 • Replies: 15
No top replies

rayban1

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:39 pm
The most logical, very brief statement is: Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Of course the person contemplating suicide probably would not respond to anything logical or rational so this little goodie probably won't be very helpful.
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 04:41 am
Re: Suicide persuasive presentation
"The idea of suicide is a very conforting one, helpinhg us to keep on living" - Nietzsche.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:42 am
good one, val!

Nietzsche said God is dead...

God said..Nietzsche is dead lol
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:37 am
I think you look for a logical answer to an illogical problem. THe number one cause of suicide is depression - despression is an emotive response that does not respond well to logic.

Which is why you can't talk a person out of suicide who is serious.

TTF
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:03 pm
okay how about ways to prevent suicide? prevention programs and steps?..etc?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:18 pm
Find more effective treatments for depression, and teach people that what they are experiencing is largely a biological illness which can be treated.

I can see what Nietzche means (I think) - it is a comfort to know that if life gets bad I don't have to carry on suffering.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:41 pm
Nietzsche also said that it is cruel to take a man's life, and it is more cruel to take away his death.
I would say that if you can talk a person out of committing suicide, he should not have committed suicide. But some suicides may be very reasonable actions; we must not view the matter in terms of absolutes.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:50 pm
Most suicide attempts are just a plea for sympathy. The majority are staged and never really intended to be carried out. I say, if someone wants to take their life who am I to stop them? It's their life after all.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:59 pm
I agree, Roverroad. To force a person to live against his will is as "immoral" as aborting a potential life. I do believe that some suicides should be prevented and some abortions should be performed. Life is complex requiring careful thought. The most important thing to realize is that very often suicides and abortions are none of our business.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:14 pm
Vonderjohn, a teen suicide help line is fine and perhaps trying to get a suicidal teen to consider the thoughts and feelings of loved ones might be persuasive. Teenagers still have very little ability to take the time to think rationally. I have read that many people who have tried suicde unsuccessfully have been grateful that thier attempt failed. Maybe that would be fairly effective for a teenager.

When it comes to an adult contemplating suicide, JLN and Roverroad have it right, as far as I'm concerned.

What would make a huge difference would be a humane health care system in this country that provided decent mental health care and treatment.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:50 pm
Yes, if we were sincere in trying to prevent suicide, we would pay the price for preventing the reasons people want to die.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:49 am
vonderjohn,

I can think of very few reasons why youth suicide should be acceptable, and they are particularly vulnerable.

I think if you can find happy successful people in late 20's or 30's who will admit to contemplating or attempting suicide in their youth to talk about the "what if" .....it might help give kids perspective.

Another thing you can do is to find free 24hour counselling services and do what you can to increase awareness of them.

(In Australia we have "Kids Help Line" ....kids can talk anonymously about anything - I've worked with them a little, and preventing youth suicide is a major part of what they do)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:51 am
ooops I missed this page.

Daine seems to have covered a lot of my ground already!
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:09 pm
Thank you big time guys. Very nice views from each of you. Yep..life is complex...but after all it is how YOU make out of it Smile
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:06 pm
Eorl, no problem with reiterating some of the things I said. Teenagers are a whole different breed because of their lack of experience and the fact that their brains haven't completely developed. For adults, I feel very strongly that the choice of life and death is a personal, private decision that should be respected.

Good luck, vonderjohn.
0 Replies