Dershowitz's defense is his offense

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 03:13 pm
“So when you read The New Yorker attack on me, read it with an understanding of its source, motive, and methodology,” he says. “Remember that you are not reading The New Yorker of old that had well-earned credibility. You are reading a glossy version of the National Enquirer, with partisan and personal agendas.” It's not about "the New Yorker of old" that matters; it's the inability of Dershowitz to provide evidence their reporting is wrong. It's amazing how far these "attorney at law" can advance in their careers, when they can't even defend themselves properly. Nothing wrong with "source, motive, and methodology" when it can't be challenged with facts.

glitterbag

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 03:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Dershowitz is a snake
Sturgis

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 03:24 pm
Dershowitz is trying quite desperately to remain relevant to anything. He's at that place where he'd cherish even marginal relevance.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 05:28 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Dershowitz is a snake
Yes he is. I saw him perhaps 10 years ago in a debate with Chomsky. Whereas Noam was dignified, careful in argument and mannerly, Dershowitz was an interrupting, rude asshole. I've had no use for him since.

We still get the New Yorker here and though there have been changes, that is inevitable. Tina Brown's editorship was not welcomed by all but David Remnick has been a very fine editor since he replaced her. It's political reporting is absolutely top drawer (Jane Mayer being the prime example). Dershowitz's complaint arises from his membership in the right wing choir of voices bent on demeaning any media not aligned with Fox et al.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 06:51 pm
@blatham,
From years ago, I've stared calling him "jerkowitz." I have no use for his kind.
blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 07:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
jerkowitz. Humm. Sounds like a sandwich spread.

glitterbag

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 10:12 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

jerkowitz. Humm. Sounds like a sandwich spread.

A dreadful tasting sandwich spread.
blatham

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 09:04 am
@glitterbag,
Even for one like me (a non-foodie) there'd be some hesitation before chowing down.
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 10:01 am
@blatham,
Im kind of smiling at the anti-Dershowitz feeling here. remember he was and i a brilliant constitutional as well as criminal attorney. Hes practiced as a defense counsel of adviser (OJ) to defense counsels because the US Constitution guarantees the ability to seek and acquire a competent defense.

We may not like his workings and manipulation of the law but hes doing hi JOB as an officer of the court.
Many of his cases and defenses ven he wasnt too convinced about.

"Jerkpwit" is only a term one wpuld use if they had no iea how really sharp this guy is nd how he, like Atticus Finch, would take a case just because of the constitutional impwative.

Jut my thoughts dont beat me up for em cause you dont have a prayer in a box car to change my mind.

BillRM

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 12:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Jut my thoughts dont beat me up for em cause you dont have a prayer in a box car to change my mind.

Never in my now fairly long life had I hear the saying 'A prayer in a box car' so would you be so kind as to tell me where you came up with that saying if you happen to know?
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 12:56 pm
@BillRM,
from the same source as the saying about the safety of cigrettes
"Not a cough in a carload"

I merely changed a few words. Now that I reread it, it dont make much sense do it??
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 01:15 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
..don't make much sense do it??

Perhaps there's something wrong with me (highly unlikely); but, I understood it completely.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 01:43 pm
@farmerman,
I guess Dershowitz's support of Donald Trump made me go over the edge. Donald Trump is a racist, liar, scammer, and cheated on all his wives. I don't see anything positive about this scum we call our president. Trump's wall and his rhetoric about Mexicans and Muslims proves he's a racist. His history is also examples of his long-term racism. Everybody has heard of the "Central Park 5." Trump called Mexicans, "criminals and rapists." Trump also wanted to "ban all Muslims from our country" against the US Constitution. As a minority in this country who have suffered discrimination, I don't have any tolerance for it. Many of you who are shielded from it just wouldn't understand. Trump is a psycho; he put children into cages like animals, and many of his supporters are okay with that. I will never understand people like that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 10:38 pm
@farmerman,
I can carry on with your mind unchanged. But as for myself, this wouldn't be the first time I've encountered a very bright mind that was accompanied by truly nutty ideas and/or ugly personal or psychological characteristics. For example, Scalia and his insistence that Satan is immanent in the world or that his faith is the one true faith.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 04:10 am
@blatham,
I really think that Dershoowitz is being honest to hi libertarian ethos . He had some reasonably good reasons to say that Muellers "unfocused" investigation was pretty much an unconstitutional event. Ill try to find the op wd he composed and, as much as I want to e Plump go out with the tide, the Mueller approach was not 100% on the level.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 04:15 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Scalia and his insistence that Satan is immanent in the world or that his faith is the one true faith.
I believe you mean imminent, not immanent, otherwise you too, like I, had been raised by unwashed Jesuits and crazy Christian Brothers.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2019 07:43 am
@farmerman,
I did mean immanent. I was raised Mennonite but Scalia's notion of Satan is not notably different from his notion of God. Both are powerful, invisible spiritual forces/entities pervasive in the world.

I didn't realize that Jesuits were remiss in the personal hygiene thing. I forgive them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2019 09:22 am
@blatham,
I think this article explains why so many turned against Dershowitz. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/11/alan-dershowitz-donald-trump-what-happened-218359 From my own observation, I've always considered Trump a racist and liar. That was enough to show my disgust against this fraud who lies most of the time. His demand to have five innocent minority kids executed for a crime they didn't commit proved to me he is mentally unstable. I would never accept racism in a political figure, having been the butt end of "go back to your own country," and being put into concentration camps during WWII. I'm very sensitive about discrimination against any group of people, and will fight to the best of my ability against it.
blatham

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2019 09:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks CI! I've bookmarked that piece.
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2019 09:35 am
@blatham,
Only Catholics and Evangelical Bretherens worry about the two. OK So it was all in SCalia's mind. I knew that.

1. Forums
  2. » Dershowitz's defense is his offense
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:42:50