Oak Tassel Census: Bumper Acorn Crop?

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:49 am
My driveway is carpeted with oak tassels--so much so that the footing is a little treacherous. Unless the oak trees are stressed by drought or taxed by high winds this means a bumper acorn crop.

How does the acorn crop look in your neck of the woods?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:52 am
Normally I don't pay attention to these things. I'll have to consult with my local squirrels.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:40 am
Acquiunk--

This may be a good winter for squirrels--providing that the adolescents of the breed make it through the summer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 12:03 pm
We're not big on acorns in my neighborhood, but we did have a very wet winter. That means a bumper crop of pinion nuts. This leads to a good crop of deer mice, which are notorious carriers of the sin nombre strain of hanta virus.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 01:10 pm
Christian, Jewish and Muslim fundamentalists believe that all of God's Creation is just a background for Mortal Man--who has the right to exploit and dominate his environment.

Roger, try not to inhale.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 03:28 pm
Im considering moving to Nuevo and Im an outside person prone to nap wherever the mood hits me. How bad has hanta gotten out there? Still no immunovaccine?

Noddy-I havent looked in the wodds yet but I will get back, remember, all over the mid Atlantic weve had 2 really wet years and that usually means abundance as the water levels get back to normal.

Will the bears eat acorns too?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 03:50 pm
No oak trees anywhere near me, which makes me sad as acorns are a wonderful memory of my childhood.

~~~~~~~~~

Came home last night after getting together with the hamburgers. As I got off of the bus at the end of the street, I looked down the street and saw my house contained in a green circle.

The maple had had a huuuuuuuuuge key drop.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:12 pm
Our oaks bumpered 2 - 3 years ago. Last year was a bad year for the squirrels.

Beth - Norway maple?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:40 pm
Oh yeah.

Planted by the city just after the first world war.
One of the last ones left.
Cleaning up after it is a bugger, but it saves me a ton in airconditioning $$$
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:58 pm
I hate the things. I love trees, worship them, really. But, I wan't to cut down all the damned norway maples on my street.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 05:11 pm
Bears adore acorns. So do deer, mice, raccoons, skunks....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 05:23 pm
No more a problem than prairie dog carried plague, farmerman. In other words, not quite up there with lightning and black widow spiders. Gotta watch the stick lizards if you move to the southern part of the state, though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:25 am
I was looking for a place to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWU0bfo-bSY

As for the original topic, I think the acorn harvest this year is very poor.

Perhaps the bears will go to bed early?
0 Replies