Sally and her new friend

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:49 pm
Our dog Sally is a rescue dog. She had been abandoned by her owners and we got her from the dog rescue about 5 months ago. The vet thinks she is about 2 yrs old and is a Jack Russell mix mutt. This evening I was on the patio with the sprinkler going on our little garden/lawn and she was playing with one of her squeeky toys on the seat next to me and decided she wanted to play fetch so she dropped the squeeky toy in my lap and I tossed it onto the lawn just on the edge of where the sprinkler was showering. She lept and hopped like she usually does right up to the squeeky toy and suddenly noticed that water was falling on her head. She backed off instantly to dry ground and looked back at me as if to say "hey it's wet over there so like go get my toy for me" I, of course, ignored her. Well, she stared at that toy for a minute and then surveyed the hostile area with keen hunters eyes and slowly crept around the ash tree creeping along on her paws quickly around the tree to the back side of the area where the sprinkler was and suddently stood quite errect and proudly walked forthwith through the sprinkling water to her toy which she pounced upon and then returned along the same path having to traverse 3/4s of the range of the sprinkler then, back down on her hanuches as she snuck back around the tree and back into her chair beside me. Not offering to play fetch anymore she kept to herself. Now the interesting thing is in the first instance of fetching the toy she would have needed to cross about 2 ft of lawn to get the toy but as it turned out she was able, by sneaking around the tree and then behind the sprinkler she then had to cross about 12 feet of soaking sprinkler water. But that's not the point of this tale. What I was meaning to talk about was how Sally has adopted her very own pet rock. Yes a pet rock. We have literally tons of rocks in our back yard which I am slowly removing and Sally has picked one out has her very own rock. She carries it around in her mouth, tosses it up in the air and catches it, picks it up on the ground and throws it so she can chase after it and when we go inside she hides it under a cushion on the loveseat on the patio. It's quite an ordinary rock as far as I can tell but it seems special to Sally. The question is, if we let her keep it can we insist that she take care of it? How much responsibility is fair to give to a dog that has been abandoned? The only rule I have made so far is that she has to make it stay outside.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,960 • Replies: 24
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:52 pm
It has to stay outside, why? Somebody in the house allergic to rocks, or what? I'm glad she has a friend. She's a sweet dog.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:11 pm
You don't understand, Roger, she tosses the rock high in the air, flinging it as far as possible. The darn thing is HARD. It BREAKS things. Yes, I do feel sorry for the rock with its empty personality. I'm sure Sally is its only friend. Tough. The rock stays outside.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:15 pm
oh my god, that is so dang cute!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:16 pm
Spooky used to do that with Spidy, so I know what you mean, though he used to hook it with his claws and throw overhand. Got pretty accurate, too. Fortunately for Spooky and friend, Spidy was a furry piece of leather, with (for a few days) eight pipestem legs.

Ah, the stories I could tell about the two of them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:20 pm
heehee! Did anyone else see Pdog's story about his friend's cat and the stuffed pig?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:31 pm
My thought is that this is good, it keeps Sally occupied and away from shoes and other objects. Perhaps not ideal for her teeth. I don't suppose some sort of detrifice thing could be substituted? Actually Piffka is the one who introduced me and therefore Pacco to those. Expensive bits they are, but Pacco goes nutso for them, and so he gets one every once in a while. I've torn the label off the package so I can't help you with what they actually are. Green, though.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:33 pm
Think, osso, think. That sounds perfect for the adorable little mutt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:33 pm
greenies?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:38 pm
Un huh. I saw the stuffed pig story.

When it comes to telling a story well, I stay silent in the PDog's presence. Ask him about Murhpy's Koala Tea for starters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:38 pm
I just bought some of the Greenies.
I'm going to give them to one of my neighbours to saw into smaller sections.

Cleo is a chaser and tosser-around-of-stuff dog. She can spend half an hour monitoring, attacking, flinging, monitoring one piece of kibble.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:42 pm
Hah! Another Spooky trick, though he hasn't done it since he was an only cat. He used to flip kibble out of the bowl, stalk it and make the kill.

Not a problem. He always ate what he killed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:42 pm
Yes, greenies.

Pdog is someone whose storytelling and inventiveness I can't start to describe... he isn't so much inventive, well he is, but that isn't all, as totally riffing. I bow to such a mind and treasure his posts. Okay, enough of the nice.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:44 pm
my cat was vroom-vrooming my nephew's little toy car around the other day. Pretty funny, that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:49 pm
Now, THAT, I haven't seen.

I did always want to pick up a radio controlled fire engine. Or maybe a police car. You know, something with a siren.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:53 pm
http://www.greenies.com/
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:53 pm
Does anybody have a link to pdog's story? I'd love to read it.

Roger, radio controlled toys are hilarious with cats. I also found that a flashlight on the wall will drive a cat wild and can make for some farcical moments.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:06 pm
Here she is looking over a selection of rocks. http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZAAAAKQfj1hsVHMinJYqsnw0aVfYmtPRSTkMTTtidxWkp1i3oQKLkA2tE5AMIscHNxRERa*JfuR1vIP!MX5mfi49LkuHj5KZPHXX38sz1LCJpYU!GdGEpEORcbWAuZq5j0wadbgiIfakvLrxFc0kvw/Sally%20posing%20for%20the%20camera.jpg

We don't have any really good pics of her, but this is pretty darn cute. The people at the pound said she was part Jack Russel and part Corgi. Jo says she doesn't see any corgi in Sally, but the does have those short bow-legged, knock-kneed legs, not at all like a Jack Russel terrier.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:39 pm
Sadness, Diane. I goes back to when you were mmediane and I was akaRoger. Dys was always Dys, however. I recall telling one about a shaggy dog for Ridinghood's benefit. He did it soooo much better, but she got the idea of where shaggy dogs came from.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:40 pm
Actually, now that I think of it, both stories were on the same Shaggy Dog thread.
0 Replies