Nature Deficit Disorder

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:43 am
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3170306918642&isbn=1565123913

Last Child In The Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-deficit Disorder by Richard Louv

"Nature-deficit disorder" is making our kids depressed, distracted, and overweight claims child advocate and author Richard Louv in this groundbreaking work about the lives of today's children.

I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are," reports a fourth grader. But it's not only computers, television, and video games that are keeping kids inside. It's also their parents' fears of traffic, strangers, Lyme disease and West Nile virus; their schools' emphasis on more and more homework; their structured schedules; and their lack of access to natural areas. Even organizations devoted to the outdoors are placing legal and regulatory constraints on many wild spaces, sometimes making natural play a crime.

As children's connections to nature diminish and the social, psychological, and spiritual implications become apparent, new research shows that nature can be powerful therapy for such maladies as depression, obesity, and attention-deficit disorder. Environment-based education dramatically improves standardized test scores and grade-point averages and develops skills in problem solving, critical thinking, and decision making. In addition, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that creativity is stimulated by childhood experiences in nature.

In Last Child in the Woods, Louv talks with parents, children, teachers, scientists, religious leaders, child-development researchers, and environmentalists from across the country; they recognize the threat and offer solutions. Louv shows us an alternative future, one in which parents help their kids experience the natural world more deeply-and find the joy of family connectedness in the process.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 738 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:45 am
Yep, had a thread about this one:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50648

I heartily agree.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:10 pm
"...with this and so much else, we are out of tune."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:12 pm
In many states, June 11-12 is free fishing weekend where anyone can fish without a license. Check local regulations before heading out, then take a kid, and have a blast.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:23 pm
Should I ask the parents, or just grab a kid and go for it?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:25 pm
I can see the Amber alert now: "Child with fishing pole being led by a dog on a leash".
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:38 pm
Child with fishing dog led by Pole on leash might be more accurate.

hey, cj -- where do you hunt in CA? Or do you go to another state?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:47 pm
When I hunt I typically do so in Michigan, simply because that's where I grew up and that's what I know. I have no mentor here.

I do fish alot though, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Mostly I just lose tackle.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 02:02 pm
Yeah, I can agree with this one. My son has yet to climb a tree (he's five, and we don't have any good trees in our yard). When I was his age, I was climbing them, hanging out of them, pretending I was tarzan, and jumping from them. We were just thinking we need to move somewhere where it's not so damn inhospitable outside for 8 months of the year.

But it is camping, hiking, and fishing season now. And as soon as it gets warm enough, we'll be off to the lake.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 02:51 pm
My kid has climbed trees. In the backyard of our house. Which I bought in large part 'cause it's full of climbable trees. Turns out it's full of climbable monster poison ivy vines too, though.

<sob>

<don't mind me...>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:32 pm
<sobbing with you> My next house is going to have climbable trees, if I have to plant them myself!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:58 am
Sozobe--

Trees come with poison ivy--like roses and thorns. Nature green in briar and toxins.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:02 am
Plant those trees, FreeDuck!

The poison ivy vines are actually eminently climbable, except for that minor detail about oozing awful itch-oil. We have some real live tarzanish vines that if I was a kid I'd really want to get at, virginia creeper I think.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:54 am
Most of the suitable swinging vines are grape vines.
0 Replies