Moscow hit by major power outage

SerSo

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:05 am
BBC News really do their job! I was about to post a message here but the events are already covered by the BBC.
Quote:

Moscow hit by major power outage
A power cut has caused major disruption in the Russian capital, Moscow.

Public transport services ground to a halt, Moscow's main stock exchange stopped trading and water supplies to homes were affected.

The electricity outage was caused by a fire and explosion at a substation, the energy minister told parliament.

It is not clear what caused the blast. About 20,000 commuters are reported to have been evacuated from underground trains stranded by the outage.

A transport police spokesman said emergency power supplies were used to bring trains into stations.

Areas up to 200km (120 miles) south of the city were also reported to be have been affected.

Duma deputy speaker Vladimir Pekhtin ruled out the possibility that the power outage was caused by sabotage. He told NTV Mir that it was more likely to have been caused by a technical incident.

"We are checking the information, but we can now rule out deliberate sabotage," he said.

Rising temperatures

A spokeswoman for electricity monopoly RAO UES said the problem stemmed from a fire.

"The problem started yesterday evening. The reason was a fire in the switching equipment at the Chagino substation," she told Reuters news agency.

"Staff dealt with the fire and overnight changed the equipment. However during peak consumption time this morning the problem recurred."

The Micex stock exchange stopped trading for two hours as many of its clients did not have power.

There is some speculation that the power cut could have been due to an overload in demand as Moscow has seen unseasonably high temperatures and people have started using air conditioning.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/europe/4578599.stm

Published: 2005/05/25 10:24:40 GMT

© BBC MMV

Source:
BBC News: Moscow hit by major power outage
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,553 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:25 am
Just as an aside.....if this article was written by a British National, I would either be very surprised, or say that the journalist had lived for a long period of time in the USA.
The word "outage" is never used in Britain. Power cut, power failure, electricity failure etc...yes, but outage?....no.

The reason I mention this is that, not being used to seeing the word, my brain immediately read it as "outrage".
"Moscow hit by major power outrage"...had me worried for a minute. I thought that some dastardly political manaouvres were afoot!
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:07 am
Re: Moscow hit by major power outage
My own observations (together with some info from the news):

The city is half paralyzed from approximately 11a.m. Moscow time. South, East and Centre of the city have no electricity at all. (Fortunately I live and work in the Western part of Moscow.) Most offices and enterprises do not work. Public transport is seriously disturbed: Tramlines and trolleybuses do not function, buses are overcrowded. There are traffic jams everywhere because street lights are off. 5 lines of the Metro have been stopped. The media report that 43 trains were caught in the tunnels of the underground and around 20,000 passengers needed evacuation. (1,500 more people were entrapped in lifts).

It has been reported that in addition to Moscow region (especially south-east of the city) other territories were also affected: Tula region has almost no electricity and there are power cuts in Riazan and Kaluga regions (all three are to the South of Moscow).

In many houses water supply have been cut off due to the failures of electric water pumps. There are problems with phones and the Internet even in the areas that did not experience direct impact of the power failure. After dialing one can reach almost a random number. Many popular Russian web sites do not respond. Mobile phones function depending on the operator: some of them work, some do not.

The power substation, which is reportedly to blame for the events, appears to have been constructed in 1963. I wonder if it has ever been upgraded?

It seems that all modern cities are very vulnerable to failures of electricity. If somebody wanted to attack power stations and transmission lines the effect on the economy and the whole life would be enormous. If I am not mistaken this was exactly what NATO air forces did in Yugoslavia at the final stage of the conflict over Kosovo. Finally Yugoslavia surrendered though their army was practically intact.
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:10 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Just as an aside.....if this article was written by a British National, I would either be very surprised, or say that the journalist had lived for a long period of time in the USA.
The word "outage" is never used in Britain. Power cut, power failure, electricity failure etc...yes, but outage?....no.

The reason I mention this is that, not being used to seeing the word, my brain immediately read it as "outrage".
"Moscow hit by major power outrage"...had me worried for a minute. I thought that some dastardly political manaouvres were afoot!

Or did they just want to use a catchy title?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:21 am
SerSo, thank you for posting your comments on the power failure. Please keep us informed when you get a chance to.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 08:39 pm
ossobuco wrote:
SerSo, thank you for posting your comments on the power failure. Please keep us informed when you get a chance to.

I too am thankful...we really are starved for information about Russia.
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:18 pm
Re: Moscow hit by major power outage
It has been reported today that the power supply was almost restored. As far as I know all the Metro stations in Moscow are open today though some tram and trolleybus lines in the South of the city did not function this morning. Many houses there still lack electricity.

As to the Northern and Western parts of the city, this yesterdays' major power failure could be absolutely unnoticed there. The only problems that affected these parts of Moscow were those with limited access to certain servers in the Internet as well as difficulties in connecting to the other city districts. But people who live or work in the South-East had a really difficult day yesterday. Many were scared when everything stopped abruptly and simultaneously: electricity, water supply, telephones, transport etc. Without knowing what was going on one could think whatever they could imagine.
0 Replies