Is the most perfect art your own life?

-FreeLancer-

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:45 am
Quote:
I absolutely do think our lives are our greatest art - whether you live a good life or a bad life, whether it's your own fault or not.

Life is about making choices. So is art.

I've had a few false starts but I'm trying. I might end up in a forgotten corner of a forgotten museum but I'm trying very hard to make a masterpiece.

And I'm hoping that someone will recognize it as such long after I'm dead.

I think you overestimate yourself. The chances of becoming a masterpiece... do the math... it's next to 0.

Are you saying that everybody's life is art? Or that from one's point of view one's life is art?

The first option? That doesn't sound realistic to me. The most important thing about art is that it's unique. Saying everybody's life is art just contradicts the idea... what makes you or me or pretty much anyone so special? No matter what you do, your life will be just like the lives of thousands and thousands of people. It's like that. And yes, there are exceptions, people who managed to really become masterpieces, but let's face it... we're talking about 2/3 people tops per century. The off chance that you might become one of those people....

And the second option... I guess we could do that. I could, for instance, cosider my life art... from my point of view... but how objective is that? It's like drawing something and saying it's better than the Mona Lisa. You're free to do that, of course, but it's just not relevant....

Just my 2 cents....
0 Replies