This Is Not Really All That Comforting

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:31 am
If the evangelicals and the christian right are rethinking their public face doesn't that by implication indicate that their private faces i.e. their true agenda remains the same?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7911488/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 742 • Replies: 8
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:46 am
While I am prone to cynicism, I do find this comforting because any indication that people are listening and thinking is a sign of hope.

I know many, many Christians who are appalled at the intrusion of politics into their faith.

I think most Americans are politically moderate but that Mr. Uniter has forced us to our extremes in order to protect the middle ground.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:28 am
The end result will be the continuing flimflam of humanity by organized religion.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:57 pm
Re: This Is Not Really All That Comforting
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
If the evangelicals and the christian right are rethinking their public face doesn't that by implication indicate that their private faces i.e. their true agenda remains the same?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7911488/
Actually the fact that you would believe anything from the media at face value , without understanding that the media have their own agenda that they are also promoting, is scary.

Are we such blind sheep that we swallow any story , hook line and sinker , that the media want to throw our way?

It wasn't that long ago that a "news magazine" program , in order to "prove" a vehicle was unsafe in rear end collisions , rigged a truck with explosive charges to be sure it incinerated on cue in a staged crash , without revealing that the whole thing was a setup. (It was NBC Dateline)

It wasn't that long ago that a "news anchor" breathlessly aired a story about a Presidential candidate using forged documents as his "source". (It was CBS' Dan Rather.)

It wasn't that long ago that a "news network" admitted that for over a decade they sat on stories of torture and brutality by a dictator because "otherwise he wouldn't let us in the country". The dictator had victims tortured and a video of the torture played for the widow. The dictator's sons delighted in putting live people through plastic shredders. (It was CNN in Iraq during the reign of terror of Saddam.)

It wasn't that long ago that a retired "news anchor" admitted how he manipulated the news he would and would not report during wartime to influence what he thought was a misguided government policy, in hopes of swaying public opinion against the war. ( It was CBS' Walter Cronkite during the Vietnam war.)

And many more examples could be cited. Do you really believe in the objectivity of the media in the USA? Boy, you DO have great faith.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:02 am
I believe neither in the objectivity, reliablity or good intentions of organized religion, politicians, the media, or your post. Give the condescension sarcasm and smug wisdom a rest. It's closing out of town. Very dramatic though.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:20 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I believe neither in the objectivity, reliablity or good intentions of .... the media......
Are you then retracting your endorsement of the MSNBC editorial/story?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:23 am
I wasn't aware that I endorsed anything pal, but nice try although you might want to fish with a different bait in these particular waters.

I merely said that if they stated they were rethinking their public face then by inference they were keeping the same private face and that wasn't encouraging.

It's a ponderable. Not an endorsement. I repeat, nice try though.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:41 am
real life

Perhaps you want to read the article in question before you leap over that cliff.

I don't see much there to question motives of media about. It is the evangelicals that doing the questioning.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:20 pm
Hi Parados,

Yes I read the article. It's an old tactic.

a)The media create a perception of a subject that is bought into by the general public.

b) The subject of their campaign dislikes or disagrees with the picture that has been painted of him.

c) The media reports that the subject is perhaps modifying his position, or masking his true intentions by trying to portray himself as something other than what the media have portrayed him.

This is very common. However most people seem to take it all at face value as indicated by the OP's use of the article's headline as his own subject line in the post. Bought hook line and sinker. Perhaps you bought the headline too based on your comments.
0 Replies