IS Religion just to comfort people? IS it real?

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 06:02 am
Very Happy Hello i'd just like to say that the whole subject on relgion is a hard one! There are so many different believe's and theries that it's no wonder people are confused especaly for young teens and children. While growing up i noticed the changes in how religion is changeing . for example when i was in primary school we where taut about christianity in nearly ever subject even if it didn't relate , the words "jesus and God " came up , while in high school they tried to teach but as the imfluence of telivision doesn't promote christianity ,i found that the believes are ignored. The trouble is that as you get older you start to generate your own views while at the same time your fed scientific facts that turn what you believed as a child to be a lie. When your a child there are people to reashore you and to change your mind easily. Shocked Wow i've writen alot! Well my point is that are we tricked as children into beliveing in 1 faith because it's the only faith we where taught as children , well obvisly if you've grown up into a family background where there is only 1 faith then it's going to pass throw a generation . Well i don't know what i belive in , maybe if there wasn't as many people against the myths when i might still be beliveing in God , but in may ways religion is a great comfort, someone once said to me "if u don't belive in God ,then who will you turn to for comfort" that question is 1 that i could not fully answer and still havn't to this day! . Surprised oh my god!!! i've wrote loads , ha ha sorry! well i would love to know people's opinion , bye bye Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,553 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 06:08 am
One of the marks of an adult is that a mature person processes all the information that is "out there", incorporates what is relevent to him, and discards the rest. As children, we are taught certain things by our parents, based on THEIR beliefs. It is up to us, to make our own decisions when it comes to issues such as religion and faith.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:03 am
Hello sarah and welcome.

Phoenix has the most sage words as always.

My thoughts are: you seem to have remembered that phrase "if u don't believe in god, who will you turn to for comfort?" and I think you sense the seeds of truth in it.

To me, that "need for comfort" is the very reason so many people believe...despite all the evidence to the contrary.

So it depends on what you value more: comfort or truth. Your decision.
0 Replies

Marquis de Carabas

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:34 pm
Eorl wrote:
"if u don't believe in god, who will you turn to for comfort?"

Personally I'd answer that question "a good book at a nice cafe sitting slightly in the shade on a sunny autumn day", or perhaps "my friends whom I all love dearly" maybe even the relaxing faith that one day mankind may grow out of the dark ages in which its dwelt for millenia in fear of the lightning we now understand.

Finally, what may perhaps be the best answer of all, "me". Because I've always been there for me, even in the worst of times. Can't think of anyone else who has, least of all gods.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:45 pm
Careful M de C,

Any minute now some christian is gonna sneak up and hit you with their "footprints in the sand" nonsense
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:24 am
Children take things literally, and it's not their fault because they're taught that way. Santa Claus, for instance. Little children believe Santa is literally real and then when they're told the truth, they feel like fools. But parents often forget to tell them that Santa is a personification of the parent's love for the children and their desire to give them gifts. So Santa is a metaphor and not meant to be taken literally.

Or take professional wrestling. When you're little you think it's real, and it's very exciting. Then later when you realize the truth, you feel like a fool. Then later in life you may watch it again, because it can be fun when it's done well, and it's a relief that they're not really smashing each other, and you see that they're clumsily acting out the Western World's myth of good against evil.

The evolution of a person's spiritual development is similar to these two examples, and the description of your spiritual journey is pretty normal. I like the part where you talk about science butting up against the religious myths, and the dilemma youth face as they grow older and educated. Many religious myths have outlived their usefulness, but for some reason people still hang on to them and defend them against science and knowledge. However, there are many myths that describe internal processes, experiences, and feelings that can't be discussed otherwise except maybe through poetry. Taking these myths literally can lead the individual away from rather than toward spiritual development.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:03 am
Sarah, do me a favor and read this post: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1345507#1345507. BTW, that is some avatar!
0 Replies

mona56

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:50 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
One of the marks of an adult is that a mature person processes all the information that is "out there", incorporates what is relevent to him, and discards the rest. As children, we are taught certain things by our parents, based on THEIR beliefs. It is up to us, to make our own decisions when it comes to issues such as religion and faith.

I think that quote is a wonderful point and pretty much your answer.

But as to my own opinions on this issue, I believe that religion is just to comfort people as well as being real for those that need it. I myself am not religious because I do not need it (for comfort or otherwise), but at the same time I am in no position to tell others that it isn't real, if it is to them. We are made of our beliefs and form ourselves off of those. If you need religion in your life and see it as real, then it is.

As for what will you turn to for comfort, that again points to your ideas and beliefs and the person you are. For some there only option is religion, while others have family, friends, ideas, and the world. If you are truly happy with your position and existence, I don't believe you need the reassurance of something else.
0 Replies

ReiKi

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:42 pm
Religion is something the government came up with to gain control over the sheep .. population control if you will, and to help those who are too afraid to learn the truth sleep better at night.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:29 pm
It's nice to believe that you won't really die and that most of your enemies will be called to account for their sins, but I don't.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:26 am
You hear the expression; "Different strokes for different folks?"

Everyone's unique. Some require religion, others don't.

The problem seems to be that the two sides don't understand one another.
0 Replies

Deedee05

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
When a religion fails to be a comfort in times of need, I fail to see why it exists.

What comfort is judgement, legalistic rules and demands, etc?

If all it was was a comfort in times of need, I could swallow the whole organized religion thing a lot easier. I sure never found a church to belong to where I felt only comfort tho. What I typically got instead was guilt, pressure to do this, do that, pay this, volunteer for that OR ELSE I wasn't good enough. Bah!

Faith is real. Religion probably isn't.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 11:12 am
If I was going to think up a God for comfort, I'd dream up something a lot easier. God IS a comfort, but in a hard way - you have to learn to get close to Him and to accept that there's things you should be doing and THEN it's comforting. If I was going to make a God up, I'd make up one who was just interested in giving me stuff.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:26 am
I think the idea that people only use religion for comfort is completely wrong. This may be true for some people, but for myself this is not the case. It is very hard to be religious sometimes especially in the world we live in today where it is ridiculed and you are surrounded by a society that tells you to do whatever feels good. I am religious because I believe that there is no way that this world is just an accident.
0 Replies