Test how smart you are

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 04:55 am
@oristarA,
Ive never ever heard of feeding watermelon to stock. This sounds like a real emergency feed plan with hay almost all out of his price range and the cattle really hungry.

When it drought we take any hand we can.
In US Ive not heard of this being done because the markets are available all the time.

I still am npt convinced that, seeing a melon in a field (Uncut by hand), the cattle would try to eat it because they are unable to open the melon up with their mouths. I suppose they could stomp on the melons.

Ive been a farmer for almot 30 years and Ive never seen that before, ppigs yes, sheep and attle nope.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 05:44 am
@farmerman,
Yes, that probably was a mistake.
oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ive never ever heard of feeding watermelon to stock. This sounds like a real emergency feed plan with hay almost all out of his price range and the cattle really hungry.

When it drought we take any hand we can.
In US Ive not heard of this being done because the markets are available all the time.

I still am npt convinced that, seeing a melon in a field (Uncut by hand), the cattle would try to eat it because they are unable to open the melon up with their mouths. I suppose they could stomp on the melons.

Ive been a farmer for almot 30 years and Ive never seen that before, ppigs yes, sheep and attle nope.

Cows eat directly rind and all: See the picture below:

https://trini-talks.com//wp-content/uploads/autoImage/1550299218.jpg
oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:15 am
@oristarA,
The link is here:
https://trini-talks.com/call-for-army-to-kill-cows-wild-cattle-enjoy-melon-pumpkin-crops/

CALL FOR ARMY TO KILL COWS WILD CATTLE ENJOY MELON, PUMPKIN CROPS

It appears that to eat melons is in the nature of cows in this case
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:16 am
@izzythepush,
I've pointed out that you are worse than Trump. No wonder you prefer bad-mouthing to acting reasonably.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:55 am
@oristarA,
did you see how the steers would open the melons or are the all the pix you have?

another reason we dont feed melons to cattle is ruminants dont do well on quick diet changes, they get very ick very fast.
Also, melons arent what we call a winter storage crop, they rot in the field. I see this story is about an emergency food supply and Id love to see how the cattle break into the melons having only bottom teeth.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:58 am
@oristarA,
Is that what you've done? I must have missed it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 10:05 am
@oristarA,
Those pictures are faked. I recognise them from Jack and the Beanstalk at Great Yarmouth.

This is what they look like without all the make up.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BH2JD8/a-production-of-jack-and-the-beanstalk-panto-dame-milking-the-traditional-BH2JD8.jpg
laughoutlood

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 10:14 pm
Wild melons

In the days
When they were swinging in the breeze
I was a monkey
Squeezing melons just as you please

I can taste...
I can taste them even now
And I would chase those udder cows

You can go there if you please
Wild melons
And if you grab them, grab with ease
Wild melons
Yeah just bouncing in the breeze
Wild melons

Wild ... wild ... wild
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:36 pm
@farmerman,
The truth is that cows eat melon, whether as a norm or emergency.

You can test it yourself: In case you are kidnapped by izzy who soemhow becomes mad and can't be reasoned with. Your hands and legs are bound by tight ropes and no way you can move. He puts a big watermelon before your mouth and leaves you alone in a deserted warehouse where no one will come to rescue you in 3 days. Eat the melon or die in thirst and hunger. To survive you begin to gnaw at the melon, nibbling the rind (it is so damn delicious when you're starving to death!) and finally enjoy the juicy pulp. The rind is soft, after all, comparing to rock and wood. The result is what I've showed you in the last pic above. Those are the work of those escaped cows.

The truth rejects downright your bullshit about ruminant cows.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:52 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Those pictures are faked. I recognise them from Jack and the Beanstalk at Great Yarmouth.

Then watch the video please:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-17/farmer-in-drought-turns-to-watermelon-to-feed-cattle/10002448
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 01:18 am
@oristarA,
More fakery, this is how it starts. You conveniently missed this bit out.

oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 07:59 am
@izzythepush,
Even the fake cow you are showing us eats watermelons and no one will argue it.
And I'd like to remind you that arbitrarily labelling everything as "Fake News" is the patent of Trump. Not of you, poor izzy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 12:54 pm
https://live-imagecollect.s3.amazonaws.com/preview/4964/76793b206d4b990

Lady Helen Taylor 43rd in line to the throne. Popularly known as Melons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Helen_Taylor
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 10:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Ive learned a lot about this "preference for melons that "cows" have"
The newspaper article was actually written because it was an uncommon occurence by a farmer whose beef cattle were almost starving due to drought.

I was talking to aneighbor who has been a cattleman for nearly 50 years and has NEVER been forced to feed weird **** (like melons gourds or pumpkins) to his steers. PIGS will eat all sorts of stuff and wid hogs will seek out gardens and farms and destroy crops in an evenings browsing. Pigs will eat melons becaue they have carnivore teeth and can opn a melon with a few chomps, while a cow will have to have it cut or theyve been known to step on pumpkins to break them open or break them into bite size chunks. Farmers grow lots of melons in our area and pumpkins. They will grow them in 10 to 20 acre plots and usually theyll be next to alfalfa plots or high N orchardgrasses an Trefoil. Cows will graze on grain plants but will usually leave corn alone if theres good pqsture about. Theres an Amish farmer who is milking 200 Holsteins and he has their pasture right aside some cabbage fields and a melon and pumpkin field. The cows did break out one year and ate themselves sick on cabbage but left melons and pumpkins alone. Maybe they werenet ripe yet an the cows could smell em, but I think they really dont have a taste for melon is theres good pasture available.

When theres a drought in Australia and (As I recall) cattle are starving, the Farmers out west were quick to collect and send hunreds of thousands of bales of hay for feed. Its a major rule for protecting the health of any ruminant (WHICH A COW IS,) that we dont make sudden changes in their ration makeup. If we are graining them, we dont switch to hay or vice versa.This "introduction" of foreign foods is generally to be done gradually because the ruminants rumen needs to change in its internal physical structures To avoid foundering or worse.
We had a bunch of clever sheep get loose once and they heqded for a neighbors broccoli rabe patch (The guy was a market farmer pcializing in Italian tyle veggies). The heep ate themselves silly and we lot 3 or 4 from gas buildup in one of their stomachs. We actually had to uuse a wide needle called a trochanter which we used to puncture their stomach to relieve the gas pressure. We then shot a mix of dishwasher detergent and water down their mouths and watched and waited until they started foaming at the mouth as the detergent created an emulsion of detergent and stomach fluids in which the gas bubbles made the sheep look like they had AMISH beards of foam going down their mouths and chests. We lost a few from being too late with the trochanting but we saved about 20 or do others who spent the next few weeks not wanting to eat anything other than dry hay and water and salt kibbles.

If a cow wre to jump a fence and had for a patch of pumpkins or rip sweet melons, Id worry that the damn thing will die unless we take quick action.
I dont think the guy in Autralia was going to jut dump watermelons in a pile and let his cattle roam and eat(If they figured out how to open the damn things). They could have been dying of thirst also so the amount of water in a melon may have staved off total dehydration.
I wonder how many cows he may have lost .
Ive never really learned anything good about sheep handling from Australian practices, I think ours are better, so Im totally uninformed about cattle handling and will not judge , but Id like to red something from an ag news source (not the poplar ppress) about how the farmer prepped his cattle to eat those melons and not get bloat or go foundering.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 01:21 am
@farmerman,
I can see a greengrocer getting rid of unsold fruit by feeding them to animals but other than that it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense economically.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 04:54 am
Have you watched the ABC News video and found that 'nutritionists say it is okay for cows to eat watermelons'?

It is okay for us to enjoy watermelons, but we can't survive by only eating them. And so are cows. They will starve to death by only eating watermelons. So nutritionists say it is okay to serve watermelons as supplements. They are not the replacement of hay and grain. Watermelons are especially good in the days of drought as supplements.

Here's a Florida farmer. Listen to what he says;

Quote:
COWS LOVE WATERMELON AND PUMPKIN!

Cows love watermelon and pumpkinDid you know that cows love watermelon and pumpkin? Ours sure do! And, we love FREE food for them!

It is rare that we have a watermelon from the garden go bad. In fact, I’m not sure we have ever had one rot! Once we have eaten the red, the cows get the rind and love it. But, boy, do they love the red!

Not too far away from us is a watermelon and pumpkin packing plant owned by a local farmer. He grows, packs and sells watermelon and pumpkin to grocery stores, Sam’s and Wal-Marts. With all the rain we have had this growing season, they have had quite a few go bad.

Unfortunately, once the big boxes are packed, if a watermelon or pumpkin goes bad in it, they will all spoil very quickly. That’s where we come in – we help them get rid of the packed boxes that are spoiling – FREE!

It may be hard to picture a family throwing watermelons to cows, so, let me help you – it really is fun!

I know, we live a simple life and it doesn’t take much 😉

Cows love watermelon and pumpkinThe cows get so excited, they hop around not being sure which one to attack first! It is quite a site! Beatrice that you see below is probably the calmest of the bunch and does a good job of getting out the red before moving on to the next one.

Once they go through all that we have thrown eating the red, they will go back and eat the rind. Sometimes it is later in the day but, they do eat it all! It is easy to tell when they are done because they ask for more by standing at the fence mooooing!

I did not realize how much cows love watermelon and pumpkin and it was sad when there were no more watermelons for them – it took a couple of days before they stopped standing at the feeding spot mooooing!

Source; https://oswaldvineyard.com/animals/cows-love-watermelon-and-pumpkin/

The narrow-mindedness of both farmerman and izzy is impressive.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 06:22 am
@oristarA,
You still haven't explained why melon recognition is linked to intelligence, you've just attacked those who have asked you to explain it.

I'm sure whatever you say will be insightful enough to put in the Book of Revelations, or the Book of Heroic Failures.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 06:24 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The narrow-mindedness of both farmerman and izzy is impressive.

Those who can't get jokes are destined to become the butt of them.
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 07:59 am
@izzythepush,
The diff tween her and us. When she posts something that I can learn from, Ill go and research it further and deeper cause its interesting.
She just stands and pats herself on the back implying that shes only right and has nothing further to learn. Shes kinda like oralloy in that respect neh?.