June is Black Music Month. What does one do to participate in, celebrate and/or observe the event?

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 11:16 pm
Hi. As of the time of the posting of this question, it's Black Music Month 2019.

What does one do during this event to participate in, celebrate and/or observe it?

I am just curious. Please let me know- thank you.

roger

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 12:02 am
@JGoldman10,
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/9-things-know-about-history-juneteenth-n594546

Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot Juneteenth.

For Juneteenth, hats are traditional but not required. Find out where the action is in your area and go have fun. It will almost always be a friendly crowd.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 12:20 am
@roger,
What does that have to do with BLACK MUSIC MONTH?

I do not want to be reminded about SLAVERY.
roger

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 01:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Then, I apologize.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 02:39 am
Earth Wind and Fire B.E.T. awards interview.

Steve Harvey intros Earth Wind and Fire for Lifetime Achievement Award.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 02:46 am
The History of Funk Music
(YouTube Documentary)

During the 1970s this fun, futuristic and freaky music changed the streets of America with its outrageous
fashion, space-age vision and streetwise slang. But more than that, funk was a celebration of being black,
providing a platform for a new philosophy, belief system and lifestyle that was able to unite young black
Americans into taking pride in who they were.

Today, like blues and jazz, it is looked on as one of the great American musical cultures, its rhythms and
hooks reverberating throughout popular music. Without it hip-hop wouldn't have happened. Dance music
would have no groove. This documentary tells that story, exploring the music and artists who created a
positive soundtrack at a negative time for African-Americans.

Includes new interviews with George Clinton, Sly & the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & the Gang,
War, Cameo, Ray Parker Jnr and trombonist Fred Wesley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5anltI2eA
Real Music

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 03:14 am
The hip hop years part 1.

Here is part 1 of the 3 part mini series "The Hip Hop Years"
this episode covers the birth of hip hop culture and how it spread to a worldwide phenomenon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhrSlOa2bsA
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:20 am
@JGoldman10,
But point of that this’s a celebration of the END of slavery - Not a celebration of slavery.

EW&F were Really a wonderful sound and sound such a talented group.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:59 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. As of the time of the posting of this question, it's Black Music Month 2019.

This is news to me. I have yet to have come across this term on any calendars or social media outlet.
Quote:
What does one do during this event to participate in, celebrate and/or observe it?

Not really that difficult to figure out. Go to concerts. Attend lectures centered on black figures in music. Travel to specific cities and regions and patronize venues that support black music (especially for music genres that actually need supporting... say like jazz... that genre of music is struggling to make ends meet as populations are leaving it behind for more contemporary genres).

In summary... openly consume and proselytize all things about black music.

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:46 am
@tsarstepan,
One stop google....although yeah, to appreciate black music month, just do something to appreciate black music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Music_Appreciation_Month

African-American Music Appreciation Month
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

African-American Music Appreciation Month is an annual celebration of African-American music in the United States. It was initiated as Black Music Month by President Jimmy Carter who, on June 7, 1979, decreed that June would be the month of black music.

In 2009, the commemoration was given its current name by President Barack Obama.[1] In his 2016 proclamation, Obama noted that African-American music and musicians have helped the country "to dance, to express our faith through song, to march against injustice, and to defend our country's enduring promise of freedom and opportunity for all. "[2]

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:50 am
@chai2,
Here's more info from BET (I guess that stands for Black Entertainment, based on a glance at the site)
It's providing videos, greatest moments, quizzes etc. for this month. I guess you could celebrate it on that site.

https://www.bet.com/topics/b/black-music-month.html
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:52 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

But point of that this’s a celebration of the END of slavery - Not a celebration of slavery.

The other point is he wasn't asking about that.

Although until he responded to roger, I misread the title of the thread as black history month too.
But I was mistaken.
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 09:02 am
@chai2,
I see what happened now. I guess I was responding to Roger’s comments not JGoldman’s; However, I’m still in error But for different reasons. At the least, it was still about black music.
chai2

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 09:05 am
@Ragman,
Right now, I am in error in general as the coffee hasn't kicked in.
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 09:09 am
@chai2,
I’m in the same coffeed-up state; however while I’m highly caffeinated and lOcated at the moment in Manhattan where everyone is caffeinated so I go unnoticed.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 10:15 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

This is news to me. I have yet to have come across this term on any calendars or social media outlet.

Are you serious or are you being facetious?

Are you familiar with Black History Month?

I've known June was Black Music Month for years, since I was little. How did I first learn of it? They used to have little adverts about it on TV.

If you don't mind me asking, are you African American?

How many other African Americans are on this site besides myself?

Go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Music_Appreciation_Month
https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Black+Music+Month

Go on video hosting sites like YouTube, Metacafe and Dailymotion and look up "Black Music Month". You should find at least one video that indicates that June is Black Music Month.

Google or Bing "Black Music Month"- you'll see lots of videos and other stuff about it.

Some videos indicate that June is Black Music Month in their title, and/or description, and/or in the thumbnails of the videos.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 10:50 am
@JGoldman10,
I've not heard of it until now. I'm not American, but I thought you knew that.

As it's Monday this is probably appropriate.

I do love Black Uhuru.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
Hello Izzy. I know you're not American.

The only Black English artist I know of off-hand is Eddie Grant:

His song "Electric Avenue" was popular back in the '80s.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 11:15 am
@tsarstepan,
No Tsar, I was not trying to be rude.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 11:24 am
@JGoldman10,
You've not heard of Dizzee Rascal?