Happy Fathers Day

chai2

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 11:56 am

In all fairness, obviously not all dads, and honestly, the same lack of attention can be said for some moms.

I remember as an adult my mother said "I have a big surprise for you!" and showed me this small booklet that had been published for the whatever anniversary of the town next to us, where I went to elementary school.

She said all thrilled, "Look! You're in this picture in this book!", and she showed me a group shot of a black and white class photo. It said it was the 8th grade class of my school. I remembered exactly where I stood in that photo back then, and looked right there. Nope, where was I? Maybe I was mistaken? I started scanning through all the kids, not recognizing one of them. I started looking for my friends, not there. Looked at the nun who was the teacher, never seen her before...looked at the priest and he was a complete stranger too.

I said (starting to become really distressed inside, knowing where this was leading) "That's not my class. I'm not in that picture"
"Yes you are! Right here!" and she pointed to some girl that as far as I could tell, looked like me because she had brown hair, and glasses (which weren't like one's I ever owned). Sure, I could have said "whatever" to myself, but it hit me like a ton of bricks...How you you not recognize not only your own child, but also not recognize any other person, including the teacher, and still think it was you?
Of course, pointing all that out to her only resulted in her saying "Well, you've really upset me now" indicating I was "just making things up" before she stormed off.

I wonder if my father would have recognized me?
In other words dads, it's really hurtful when you don't even know your childs eye color.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 537 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 02:49 pm
@chai2,
Parents - ya gotta love 'em. They're our first indicators that people can be quite flawed.
Still for the most part, they take care of us until we're able to take care of ourselves.

Happy Father's Day to those who are (or even dream about being) Pops.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 12:52 am
@Sturgis,
My kids took me to Mc Donalds and bought me a quarter ponder with cheese and a chocolate shake happy fathers day all.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 05:41 am
@RABEL222,
I got my Fathers day chilled beer glass, (even though I don't drink) I got my Fathers day mug, fathers day toilet roll, Fathers day mints, Fathers day back scratcher (lurvly) and my Farters day whoopee cushion.
I also got a nice Chinese take-away delivered and 2 tickets to see Bob Dylan and Neil Young next month.
All this and more from my loving daughter. (She loves all this, Birthdays, Christmas etc, any chance to buy loads of pressies. Heart of gold.)

From my loving son I got the usual, Zilcho. although he did help me eat the Chinese.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:16 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Ive always said that my will is uncontestable unless I authorize any changes.
That usually works for presents.
Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:30 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I got my Fathers day chilled beer glass, (even though I don't drink) I got my Fathers day mug, fathers day toilet roll, Fathers day mints, Fathers day back scratcher (lurvly) and my Farters day whoopee cushion.
I also got a nice Chinese take-away delivered and 2 tickets to see Bob Dylan and Neil Young next month.
All this and more from my loving daughter. (She loves all this, Birthdays, Christmas etc, any chance to buy loads of pressies. Heart of gold.)

From my loving son I got the usual, Zilcho. although he did help me eat the Chinese.

Sounds like my family but in the opposite way - for Mother's Day - I had to drive 10 hours to get my daughter from college, pack her up and bring her home.

She did give me a cool carry all type of bag. My other daughter (16) said happy mother's day on the phone since I was in transit -- however, the day before I left, I got to spend $15 on a gift card that my daughter gave to coach that has been like mentor to her (I certainly do not begrudge giving her a gift as she has been helpful to my daughter) - my daughter gave it to and said happy mother's day to her.

So I basically not only did I not get a card (just a well wish) or anything - but I had to pay for a mother's day gift to another person for her. To top it off I was in her room last week - and there was a dead flower in cup with water. I told her she should probably throw it away since it is dead. She said oh that was supposed to be a flower for you but you were away. Well --- I guess maybe some day she will appreciate me.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:40 am
@farmerman,
Where there's a will there's a way.......

..... to get pressies.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 08:45 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Well --- I guess maybe some day she will appreciate me.

Ohh I don't know, sometimes I think the son is counting down the hours till he can put me in a home or the ground.

Nah not really, I hope.

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 09:03 am
@Linkat,
Yeah, I hope you and your daughter rediscover your bond down the line.

However, FWIW, I do find it, um, I don't know, healthy? to, as in this thread, to express all is not sweetness and light 24/7.

Obviously the drawback of social media/internet in general, it's so easy to read about other peoples lives, how they write about what a wonderful this, that or the other they had, when in reality, it's the the whole truth, or the truth at all in fact.

Curious, when you said "happy mothers day" to her, did she respond, or was it more like "whatever"?

Anyway, mothers/fathers day.....just another invented holiday to sell cards, cards, neckties and smelly perfume.

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 11:08 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Curious, when you said "happy mothers day" to her, did she respond, or was it more like "whatever"?

Anyway, mothers/fathers day.....just another invented holiday to sell cards, cards, neckties and smelly perfume.

No - she said Happy Mothers Day to me - and it was snarky or anything like that. Just it did hurt a little when she said oh, I need to my coach a mother's day gift card. And then she did not think of giving me anything. And then to top it off not even remembering to give me the flower - and just shrugging it off like no big deal. It is kind of funny at the same time - I made mention of it (forget how it was brought up) but I said good thing I don't take these things personally.

I know she didn't mean anything bad about it - just she is 16 and like most teenagers self centered.

And I agree with the made up holiday thing -
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 11:09 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Quote:
Well --- I guess maybe some day she will appreciate me.

Ohh I don't know, sometimes I think the son is counting down the hours till he can put me in a home or the ground.

Nah not really, I hope.

Yeah I can see that - especially with my little one.
0 Replies