If I Wish All the Dads Out There a Happy Father's Day, Am I Being Offensive?

thack45

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 08:19 am
Is wishing happy father's day insensitive? What about people who aren't technically dads, but who identify as such, or feel they were born as one? Am I excluding all of the people out there who are "dadly"? Is the word "dad" in and of itself offensive? Is father's day forcing gender roles and perpetuating stereotypes? Should I just wish a general, happy 'day in the month of June designated to a parent'? Man, life is hard... god dammit, I didn't mean "man" in the male sense of the word, just the colloquial sense... and I didn't mean "god" in the religious sense. And just for good measure, I didn't mean "mean" in the bullying sense...

Ragman

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 08:34 am
@thack45,
This harkens back to the infamous quote: "I did not have 'sex' with that woman!"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 08:35 am
Just what are you trying to pull, thack? I'm here, I'm pere; get used to it.

Razz
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 09:19 am
20 years ago, wishing anyone a happy Father's Day would have offended my father,
who regarded it, along with Mother's Day, as a Hallmark holiday.

But he's older now, and I think he appreciates it more.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 09:38 am
@thack45,
Thack? You really have too much time on your hands, don't you?

Does your family and friends need to intervene regarding your possible abusive use of marijuana and/or assorted hallucinogenic drugs?

You unnecessarily created the Olympus Mons out of a collapsed molehill.
thack45

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 10:00 am
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 05:28 pm
I guess I want to address this.
I take this as Thack being a mix of playful and thoughtful - both word playing and speaking of sensitivity issues re gender and addressing a matter that involves most of us, one way or another. We all know some percent of fathers (or mothers) affect lives horribly, and for those that has happened to, this kind of holiday can be an ironic day at best.

Kolyo got there too with the Hallmark thing of his father's sometime view, which I used to feel about mother's day (not any longer, for sure, but I remember it).

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 06:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I haven't had a real father since the age of three. But I can be happy for my son and sons in law.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 06:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
True.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:06 pm
As a childless man, I feel unfairly singled out, ostracised and discriminated against. When are we going to get a Sorta Middle-aged Gendered Person Without Children or Any Other Significant Human Attachments Day? I want cake, dammit! But most of all, I want to be recognized!

Or just cake. Cake would be good.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:08 pm
@FBM,
How about a thumbs up. That I can give you.
FBM

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm cool with that. Thanks.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 09:09 pm
Sexist ! Why cant women be called father ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 09:14 pm
@thack45,
Saying anything nice to anyone is almost always offensive to todays overly sensitive humourless pricks.

I say do it anyways.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 05:49 pm
The kids said they are taking us out to dinner tomorrow for fathers day, they have been saving up their money.

I guess I'll have to eat it even if it is McDonalds Razz
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 06:57 pm
I have no kids & my father passed a few years abo but frankly I see nothing wrong wishing "Dads" a happy day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 08:25 pm
I didn't know my Dad. I last saw him at age three or so. He died in 1948, when I was six. But I have four children of my own and each of them is a married parent, so I have somebody to make my wishes to.
0 Replies