Who Really Believes This?

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:16 am
I mean really, what's the deal here? Suddenly the US is concerned about treatment of prisoners? This is such a transparent ploy you could read a newspaper through it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7917696/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 686 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:38 pm
ROFL
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:07 pm
here's a couple of quotes from the article that caught my eye:

Quote:
"I don't think a photo inspires murderers," Bush said of the insurgents. "These people are motivated by a vision of the world that is backward and barbaric."

i'd say remarks like that might inflame insurgents, if they needed inflaming that is.

Quote:
Later, however, White House press spokesman Trent Duffy said the photos could be perceived by members of the insurgency in much the same way as revelations of detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib.

"This could have serious impact, as we talked about, with the revelations of prisoner abuse," he said. "What the United States did in both of those situations, however, is recognize that, take immediate steps to investigate and get to the bottom of why it happened and how it happened and take steps to make sure that ... people are held to account."

the US is certainly great at getting to the bottom. what i question is the resolve to hold higher ups accountable for subordinate misbehavior. since these photos were supposedly leaked by a "military official," which doesn't sound like a lowly GI, maybe the investigation will root out some officers for a change.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:28 pm
Quote:
Mixed message from White House

Bush said he didn't think the images would energize the insurgents, thought to be led by Sunni Arabs who were favored under Saddam's regime but largely excluded from the new Shiite-dominated Iraqi government.

"I don't think a photo inspires murderers," Bush said of the insurgents. "These people are motivated by a vision of the world that is backward and barbaric."

Later, however, White House press spokesman Trent Duffy said the photos could be perceived by members of the insurgency in much the same way as revelations of detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib.

Seems that Mr. Bush spoke before someone told him what to say. It will be very interesting to see whether this is followed up, or dies without a peep.
0 Replies