Europe unites in hatred of French

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:06 pm
Europe unites in hatred of French
By Henry Samuel in Paris
(Filed: 17/05/2005)

Language, history, cooking and support for rival football teams still divide Europe. But when everything else fails, one glue binds the continent together: hatred of the French.

Typically, the French refuse to accept what arrogant, overbearing monsters they are.

But now after the publication of a survey of their neighbours' opinions of them at least they no longer have any excuse for not knowing how unpopular they are.

Why the French are the worst company on the planet, a wry take on France by two of its citizens, dredges up all the usual evidence against them. They are crazy drivers, strangers to customer service, obsessed by sex and food and devoid of a sense of humour.

But it doesn't stop there, boasting a breakdown, nation by nation, of what in the French irritates them.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Britons described them as "chauvinists, stubborn, nannied and humourless". However, the French may be more shocked by the views of other nations.

For the Germans, the French are "pretentious, offhand and frivolous". The Dutch describe them as "agitated, talkative and shallow." The Spanish see them as "cold, distant, vain and impolite" and the Portuguese as "preaching". In Italy they comes across as "snobs, arrogant, flesh-loving, righteous and self-obsessed" and the Greeks find them "not very with it, egocentric bons vivants".

Interestingly, the Swedes consider them "disobedient, immoral, disorganised, neo-colonialist and dirty".

But the knockout punch to French pride came in the way the poll was conducted. People were not asked what they hated in the French, just what they thought of them.

"Interviewees were simply asked an open question - what five adjectives sum up the French," said Olivier Clodong, one of the study's two authors and a professor of social and political communication at the Ecole Superieur de Commerce, in Paris. "The answers were overwhelmingly negative."

According to Mr Clodong, the old adage that France is wonderful, it's just the French who are the problem, is shared across Europe.

"We are admired for our trains, the Airbus and Michelin tyres. But the buck stops there," he said.

Another section of the study deals with how the French see the rest of Europe.

"Believe it or not, the English and the French use almost exactly the same adjectives to describe each other - bar the word 'insular'," Mr Coldong said. "So the feelings are mutual."

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,788 • Replies: 33
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:18 pm
French bashers get very tiresome.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:23 pm
The right sure gets a kick out of it, though, EB. Harmless fun, really, assuming JW has no access to nukes . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:24 pm
Lol - another JW moistish dream?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:30 pm
I predicted these responses Smile

What part of "By Henry Samuel in Paris
(Filed: 17/05/2005)" do you people not understand?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:33 pm
Who is Henry Samuel?

Coincidentially, JustWonder's source - who by the way,
is just an independent opinion - doesn't show any statistics that
would proof his allegations.

Cheap shot into the mudd. I wonder how many commentaries
I can find about Europeans hating the United States. I bet
there are plenty.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:35 pm
Quote:
"Believe it or not, the English and the French use almost exactly the same adjectives to describe each other - bar the word 'insular'," Mr Coldong said. "So the feelings are mutual."

Hey, shouldn't the title be.. The French hate the British as much as the British hate the French? Must be time for another 100 year war.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:36 pm
Of course there are plenty, CJ. And, many of them have been posted here.

If anyone has a problem with Mr. Samuel's 'opinion' (it's an actual poll, I believe) I suggest they take it up with him.

Meanwhile, this will surely provide fodder for some French navel-gazing for months to come.

Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:40 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I predicted these responses Smile

What part of "By Henry Samuel in Paris
(Filed: 17/05/2005)" do you people not understand?

So what is this apropos of? No one here has disputed your article. I don't doubt if for a moment. I just find it hilarious to observe the glee with which the right bashes the French.

Parados: Since the Hundred Years War (which lasted a lot longer than one hundred years) the French and the English have been bashing each other in a mirrored sort of way. The English describe someone who is AWOL as "taking French leave." The French call that filer a l'anglais. The English long referred to syphillis as "the French disease"--the French call it la maladie anglaise. And it goes on and on . . .
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:40 pm
I don't have a problem with Samuels' opinion JustWonders,
as I take it as it was intended to be: a opinion of an individual.
(it is NOT a poll).

Since you have posted his article, I assume you believe
what he's writing. I don't !

If you're looking for fodder, I suggest you direct your attention
towards the war in Iraq, that should occupy for month to come
as well dear.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:42 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Meanwhile, this will surely provide fodder for some French navel-gazing for months to come.

I seriously doubt that . . . the French, just like the English, just like the Americans, don't give a rat's ass what the world thinks of them.

Vive la France . . .
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:42 pm
But the knockout punch to French pride came in the way the poll was conducted. People were not asked what they hated in the French, just what they thought of them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:44 pm
What poll? Where is the poll JustWonders?
Would you be so kind and post it here, as I can't find it
in your article or your source.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:46 pm
It's not my poll, LOL. It's Mr. Samuel's poll, apparently. If you are so incensed over his thoughts or 'his' poll, I suggest you contact him Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:49 pm
Well JustWonders, that's the point: he doesn't have a source
for his poll, neither do you. You just bubble after him,
which is fine with me, however no need to discuss something
that has no legitimate case.

Why open a thread on pure innuendo and bashing other
nations?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:49 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:

Hey, shouldn't the title be.. The French hate the British as much as the British hate the French? Must be time for another 100 year war.

Lol! They were each other's deadly enemies for many a long year - the 20th Century rapprochement has been something of an anomaly. And - we often hate most those closest to us.

That is why the odd obsession with hating the French shown by so many ultra-right Americans here at the moment is puzzling to me.

Their frequent snipes at Canada are less so.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:50 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Well JustWonders, that's the point: he doesn't have a source
for his poll, neither do you. You just bubble after him,
which is fine with me, however no need to discuss something
that has no legitimate case.

Why open a thread on pure innuendo and bashing other
nations?

From the article:

"Interviewees were simply asked an open question - what five adjectives sum up the French," said Olivier Clodong, one of the study's two authors and a professor of social and political communication at the Ecole Superieur de Commerce, in Paris. "The answers were overwhelmingly negative."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:51 pm
dlowan wrote:
Lol! They were each other's deadly enemies for many a long year - the 20th Century rapprochement has been something of an anomaly.

Until they united against the Germans. Then they had something in common Laughing
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:52 pm
Well he gave only a few, selective details. It would be interesting to know the sample size, the selection metho and and the statistical sampling error, as well as a more complete picture of the results - as opposed to a few cherry-picked responses.

I'm no fan of France, but people are more or less the same everywhere. There are national traits, but they usually don't go that deep. A collection of superficial impressions selectively chosen and reported to make a point doesn't count for much
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:52 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Lol! They were each other's deadly enemies for many a long year - the 20th Century rapprochement has been something of an anomaly.

Until they united against the Germans. Then they had something in common Laughing

Hmmm - I believe it would be more correct to say that Germany united against them first!
0 Replies