My 30-day journey during April and May 2005.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:52 pm
Love that museum photo, CI....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:16 pm
Nothing to do with John the Baptist in that special room.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:36 pm
By the way, CI, the Knights of Malta have a piece of property at the top of the Aventine hill in Rome. I remember when I first learned about it, it was considered a separate state(possibly like San Marino?) but I haven't heard that particular description since.

I have to go back and look at your Special photo some more.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:47 pm
It's a toughie to be sure, but fun to figure out - if you can. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:00 pm
Okay, I'll start with the doorway. Is that special tile work?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:06 pm
osso, Close enough. It's really marble, but painted to look like wood. Pretty neat, heh?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:22 pm
Of course it is the door. And the next photo of the narrow street - both show your keen eye for architectural detail.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:24 pm
ossobuco wrote:
By the way, CI, the Knights of Malta have a piece of property at the top of the Aventine hill in Rome. I remember when I first learned about it, it was considered a separate state(possibly like San Marino?) but I haven't heard that particular description since.

Officially, it's the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta (Order of Malta in USA
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:30 pm
hmmm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:31 pm
I think it was Piranesi who did the wall by the entrance to the place in Rome. I have a wonderful picture of a truly cruddy wall. The last time I was there it was fixed up...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:36 pm
http://www.igougo.com/planning/journalEntryActivity.asp?JournalID=33108&EntryID=37178&n=Knights+of+Malta+Keyhole

This is just the first link I ran across.

One of our neighbors' father was made a knight of Malta, back in Los Angeles. My own view at the time, well, never mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:59 pm
and here is a link that is pretty inflammatory, though I have seen wisps of the comments before and I know at least the long family history part is true. I don't know myself other than that what is true, one way or the other.
http://www.american-buddha.com/knightsmaltavox.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:04 am
There might be a couple of orders, who call themselves 'Knights of Malta'. I was only referring to the internationally recognised, independent one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:13 am
Well, I am referring mostly to a place, the spot atop the Aventine hill. I am not sure that the order my neighbor's father was admitted to is related to that exact place, although I think so from a memory re some guide information when I first was there and commentary about it at the time). (My favorite hotel is on the Aventine hill, not a very large neighborhood.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:31 am
Your place, osso, seems to be "The Magistral Grand Prioy of The Holy Land (Notre Dame, Saint Mary of Magdalene" by the "Ordo Supremus Militaris Templis Hierosolymitami®", a UK registered international charity.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:48 am
This is from the site I linked above, Walter, the one that I called inflammatory. I have read this before re that property, but almost twenty years ago, and I don't have the source from then at hand right now.

"The upper grades are fastidiously aristocratic and must be able to display a family coat-of-arms dating back at least 300 years in unbroken succession from father to son. The Grand Master of the order is recognized as a head of state, and his authority is ensured by his secular ranking as a Prince, and his ecclesiastical ranking as a Cardinal. Under international law this organization has independent Sovereign principality, which assures nationalistic loyalty from its members, above and beyond allegiance to their own country. They also have Permanent Observer status at the United Nations. "

I recognize they do charitable work. And all I personally know to be true re the group is that my neighbor's father had to supply info about centuries of family lineage.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:54 am
Sounds more daunting than membership in the DAR, Osso.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:06 am
Osso, intriguing link. It appears that they do charity work the way the mafia did charity work. Public relations.

It seems the feudal system is attractive on this side of the pond at least with this administration.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:34 am
From what we heard in Malta, it was the Bishops that appointed the Knights of Malta. Could be wrong; my memory isn't all that reliable - never was.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:34 am
Diane wrote:
Osso, intriguing link. It appears that they do charity work the way the mafia did charity work. Public relations.

Quote:
The Order follows its historic rule of "obsequium pauperum" for the needy and the sick and today operates in more than 110 countries, giving medical and social help, through disaster relief in the case of armed conflicts or natural catastrophes, as well as helping young people and providing first aid training.

"The Malteses" are second biggest (medical) help organisation in Germany (after the Red Cross), engaged in all crisis zones as well in as in 'normal' work.

Worldwide, there are 80,000 trained volunteers and 10,000 employees, most of whom are medical personnel, in this organisation.

Until now, I've never heard them to be 'Mafia-like'.
0 Replies