Some of the best trivia you wish to share with others

Clary

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:05 pm
And I thought it was all racing cars.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:11 pm
I guess noone believes the moon is made of cheese any more? Blue cheese that is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:31 pm
And I was taught to believe the moon was swiss cheese.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:33 pm
We had white aspaagus in Germany, and it was just de-vine.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:08 pm
A black racer is a type of snake, Clary. Don't forget the "hawgs", they're a nickname for bikes which is an understatement for motorcycles.

White asparagus, C.I.? sound anemic:

Growing Asparagus
Family: Liliaceae
Genus and Species: Asparagus officinalis

Asparagus is a perennial crop that will be in the ground for at least 10 to 15 years. Asparagus does not do well if summers are extremely hot and long and winters are mild.

Climate
Asparagus produces the best in areas where freezing temperatures or drought terminates plant growth and provides a rest period. Without this rest period the asparagus plants experience reduced yields. Asparagus is very tolerant to large temperature variations and therefore well suited to a variety of Zones.

Asparagus can be grown in a wide range of soils and under various climatic conditions, but it thrives in fertile well-drained soils in moist temperate regions that have long growing seasons and sufficient light for maximum photosynthesis. Asparagus likes full sun or at worse, partial sun.

No wonder I have to buy that green stuff.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:15 pm
White asparagus, Walter told us, is created by covering it up... in France I had 'asperges violets' which were white with tiny purple tips. It's all over the Continent at the moment. The Cockneys called it Sparrow Grass.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:16 pm
Letty, Too bad you missed our little gathering in Lippstadt with Walter and the 'gang.' I'm sure Clary will add her two pounds (that's money) worth of asparagus spiel.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:20 pm
Beat you to it, c i. See you in Daytona!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:21 pm
With your speed, I'll be left far behind, I'm afraid. LOL
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:22 pm
Ah, C.I. Nothing would have been more delightful than meeting all you continentals. Hey, I had a Lincoln continental once. I wouldn't give you a cent for it. speaking of pounds, I weigh about one stone. Very Happy
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:24 pm
Oooh, you can never be too thin or too rich.
I have a Golf but it doesn't mean I play.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:39 pm
Lincoln was GAY !
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:46 pm
http://www.pbase.com/alkeme/image/6430605

Learn wisdom from the sadhus, Algis.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:48 pm
thanks for clarifing that Clary !
0 Replies

karianne

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:45 am
Actually "Hawgs" are the slang name for Harley Davidson motorcycles only. But there are other names for motorcycles also, like choppers, which are generally the longer stretched customized versions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:50 am
karianne, Welcome to a2k. Good to see you post in one of my threads; hope to see you around. "Hawgs" for HDs sounded familiar, but hadn't thought about that for awhile now.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 04:39 am
Animal Bits
NEW! Most fish can't swim backwards. The few exceptions come mostly from the eel family.

NEW! There are 13 patches on a turtle shell - each one stands for each new moon in a year.

NEW! The biggest clams in the world weigh 500 pounds and make pearls as big as golf balls.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

There are more chickens in the world than people.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.

On average people fear spiders more than they do death.

You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:40 am
pitch?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:52 am
It's impossible to lick your elbow.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:27 am
In America, a billion is a thousand million; whereas in Britain, a billion is a million million.

Tungsten is the element with the highest melting point. (so with what do they take its temperature?)

A horse needs to walk in order to properly circulate blood- that is the main reason why a horse is euthanized if if breaks a leg- it is nearly impossible to keep it alive.

Elephants are the only mammal with four knees.
(Other four-legged mammals have two knees and two hocks.)

Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that catch leprosy.

John Marshall, the US' second supreme court chief justice, was Thomas Jefferson's first cousin. The current crack in the Liberty Bell (a previous one was repaired) was caused while tolling Marshall's death.

Lady Jane Grey was Queen of England for nine days.

Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII's second wife and mother of Queen Elizabeth I, had six fingers on one hand.

Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo; and Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo; are the only two national capitals that are adjacent to one another. (with the possible exception of Vatican City and Rome, Italy)

Damascus, Syria, is the world's oldest continuously-occupied city.

Egyptian Pharoah Hatshepsut was the first female head of state in recorded history- but the few images of her that survive depict her with a beard.

The only book of the Old Testament not present among the Dead Sea Scrolls is Esther. Esther is also the only book of the Bible that does not contain the word "God".

Rhode Island, the smallest US state by area has the longest official name: The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. It is also the state with the shortest state motto: "Hope."

Rudolph Valentino spent both his wedding nights alone.

Atilla the Hun died from a nosebleed.

Greek playwright Aeschylus died when hit on the head by a falling tortoise. Apparently an eagle, accustomed to dropping tortoises on rocks to break them open, mistook his bald head for a rock.

Most of the Salem Witchcraft trial executions took place in what is now Danvers, Massachusetts, not present-day Salem.

US Army Lt. Thomas Selfridge was the first airplane passenger. He was also the first person killed in an airplane crash.

General George Custer was a Lieutenant Colonel at the time of his death at the battle of the Little Big Horn.

The only US State without a city over 50,000 population is Vermont.

The New York delegation abstained on the vote for American Independence.

The largest US native American reservation is the Navaho Reservation, covering parts of three states.

The Arkansas River, pronounced "Ar-kan-saw" everywhere else, is pronounced "ar- Kansas" where it passes through Kansas.
0 Replies